Bulletins from the Front - Fire in the East 2 (no loveman1 please)

After Action Reports
cantona2

Bulletins from the Front - Fire in the East 2 (no loveman1 please)

Post by cantona2 »

I have started a game of FITE2 vs loveman1 (an opponent I have already crossed swords with in TOAWIII in a FITE match). This AAR will take the format of short bulletins from the front at different flashpoints as and when the action intensifies or is relevant to the general conduct of the war.

I have just sent turn 4 to my opponent as the first few turns are just the annihilation of the border forces and a race to see how much the USSR can salvage from its forward positions. Decisions have been made as to where to place the initial speedbumps and where the MLR is going to be setup. Terrain is key in deciding where to try and make a stand. The terrain's defensive features will help in countering the Axis shock level. This last turn it is still at 120 and both Romania and Hungary have become active. As the game progresses I will detail my strategy but for the time being posts will be of a tactical nature and perhaps highlight some new game mechanics.

4th July 1941

As a review aufklarer units of the 3rd Motorised Infantry Division reached Daugavpils while recon elements of the 6th Panzer Divsion reached the suburbs of Riga. Bridgelaying units of the German 41st Panzer Corps repaired the bridge under fire and I fully expect the Germans to assault Riga next turn. Further south, isolated units of the 29th Corps hold out by the Neris River buying crucial time for their comrades further East.

Minsk is still in Russian hands while contact with the Lvov rearguard was lost this turn as Hungarian and Romanian units streamed across their borders and into the Motherland. 8th Corps and 13th Mountain Corps still resist the avalanche of Axis units around Stryy and Borislav.

In the extreme North of the country silence blankets the forest of Karelia but in the Arctic Circle, living its short Summer the sounds of war reverberate across the tundra.
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

cantona2

RE: Bulletins from the Front - Fire in the East 2

Post by cantona2 »

4th July 1941

Reports came flooding in to the HQ of the 14th Army in Murmansk, and these were also confirmed by aerial recon. The 100th NKVD Border Regiment had been reporting heavy attacks since before dawn. The early recon patrol was chased off by twin engined enemy fighters but not before radioing in the confirmation that German units had crossed the border and were engaging the pillbox and bunker complexes on the frontier with Finland.

Indeed the 100th Regiment was pinned downed and quickly encircled by elements of the German 2nd Gebirgsjager Division. Mountain infantry that would do well in the rugged terrain of the North. This unit was last stationed in Norway and its presence here must mean that Finland will no doubt enter the war on the Axis side imminently.

Northern Fleet, based in Polyarny, acquieseced to 14th Army requests for support and authorised the 1st and 2nd Destroyer Squadrons to lend naval gunfire support to the beleagured border troopers. 1st Destroyer Squadron (Grody, Gromky, Grozny and Gremyashchiy) followed by 2nd Destroyer Squadron (Sokrashitelny, Zabiyaka, Kapitan Belli and Kapitan Kern), raised steam and sped North North West to lend their guns in support of the defence. Further local units were put on high alert with the 14th Rifle Division immediately deploying forward. PVO and VVS units had flown in from the hinterland as the whole Northern Region was put on full alert. It seemed the Germans were attacking the full length of the border!

Attachments
fite1.jpg
fite1.jpg (403.65 KiB) Viewed 276 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

One of the new game mechanics for aerial units comes in very handy in this situation. The first turns in FITE are sure death for Russian air units in the face of the huge shock penalties. The butcher's bill in turn 1 is huge and a good tactic is to retreat whatever has survived as far East as possible in order to rebuild. The Northern theatre, however, is one where parity can be met in these early turns due to the restrictions the Axis player has in relation to the units that can enter Finalnd.

As such several fighter and combat support squadrons were flown in to support 14th Army and Northern Fleet. This is were the new range setting mechanic comes in very handy. By setting a range that only encompasses the area of operations (as opposed to the default max range setting), aerial units will only engage in actions within this range setting; thus one can manage resources much more effectively and avoid aerial units getting involved in actions further away where at this stage of the game the Luftwaffe reigns supreme.

Losses for the actions over the Gebirgjagers were even with 8 losses on either side (FOW for the Axis number) but the new range setting ensures that air cover goes where the commander wants it to go and not randomly all over the map which only serves to attrite and destroy units.

Attachments
fite2.jpg
fite2.jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 276 times

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It will be interesting to watch the events of your game as compared to the game I
have with Brian. Not that we're in a contest or anything, I mean we can compare
your progress with what Brian does and match decision points to see differences
and compare the two approaches. Do you have a zoomed out view of the front lines?

I love the details in your AAR's....adds to the immersion we look for. Subscribed.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: cantona2
The first turns in FITE are sure death for Russian air units in the face of the huge
shock penalties. The butcher's bill in turn 1 is huge and a good tactic is to retreat
whatever has survived as far East as possible in order to rebuild. The Northern theatre,
however, is one where parity can be met in these early turns due to the restrictions the
Axis player has in relation to the units that can enter Finalnd.
How big was the butcher's bill in terms of numbers of planes? I'm gussing about 1500+
By setting a range that only encompasses the area of operations (as opposed to the
default max range setting), aerial units will only engage in actions within this range
setting; thus one can manage resources much more effectively and avoid aerial units
getting involved in actions further away where at this stage of the game the Luftwaffe
reigns supreme.
Great idea. Bravo. I'm going to start doing the same in my game. I like the way you
think. Remind me to never play against you.
Losses for the actions over the Gebirgjagers were even with 8 losses on either side
(FOW for the Axis number) but the new range setting ensures that air cover goes where
the commander wants it to go and not randomly all over the map which only serves to
attrite and destroy units.
I can understand your offensive forces using the range button to limit the scope of your
operations but I'm wondering if it isn't an advantage for defensive planes to use
the full extent of their range to get into as many furballs as possible.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Larry,

1500+ indeed!

Frontlines I will post once the game has moved on a bit as this is more of a DAR than an AAR

At this point (look at the proficiency of the units in the screenie) the Red Air Force is going to be at the wrong end of any furball. For the moment the Red Air Force picks and chooses where it fights as it trains and rearms.

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Turns 3 and 4 see a massive reinforcement for the Red Army; nothing spectacular but certainly a LOT of units. Most of these however are recently rasied cadres or newly formed divisions. Take the 279th Rifle Division for example. Recently created and raised it has its HQ and three regiments. I like to base these in a built up hex with a rail in t to ensure a good flow of supply so that its ToE can fill up nicely. It may take a few turns and the situation and needs of the Front may mean that these units are railed West sooner than I would like; I do however like to have a good balance of units at the front, a second echelon of resting or divisions that are almost at 100% and a rear area for training and refitting.

Here is a screenie of the 1003rd Rifle Regiment, 297th Rifle Division currently awaiting equipment in an area far East of the frontlines.

Attachments
fite3.jpg
fite3.jpg (148.56 KiB) Viewed 276 times

DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Losses for the actions over the Gebirgjagers were even with 8 losses on either side
(FOW for the Axis number) but the new range setting ensures that air cover goes where
the commander wants it to go and not randomly all over the map which only serves to
I can understand your offensive forces using the range button to limit the scope of your
operations but I'm wondering if it isn't an advantage for defensive planes to use

I think a lot of that depends on how strong your relative air force is. If you've got the numbers to maintain air superiority over much of the front cranking the range up to max or near max is reasonable. If OTOH your airforce is badly out numbered/out gunned keeping your fighters on a short leash to prevent them from being wiped out by excessive numbers of furballs and/or keeping most or all your air power concentrated on a limited portion of the map to attain local superiority is probably the safer course.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: DanNeely
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I think a lot of that depends on how strong your relative air force is. If you've got the
numbers to maintain air superiority over much of the front cranking the range up to max or
near max is reasonable. If OTOH your airforce is badly out numbered/out gunned keeping
your fighters on a short leash to prevent them from being wiped out by excessive numbers
of furballs and/or keeping most or all your air power concentrated on a limited portion
of the map to attain local superiority is probably the safer course.
I quite agree with everything you said. So the policy in contengent on the situation.
cantona2

RE: Bulletins from the Front - Fire in the East 2 (no loveman1 please)

Post by cantona2 »

The axis schwerpunkt for Army Group North has reached the suburbs of Riga. Bridges over the Dvina were blown and what has been saved from the Baltic Military District is manning a sort of line on the river as well as fortifying the city. As the screenshot below shows the broken rail sort of gives away the axes of advance. I am in not doubt that the rest of 41st Panzer Corps will show up in strength next turn and look for a way across the river. 3rd Motorised Infantry Divison has also reached Daugavpils further to the SE and its crossing has also been fortified.

Attachments
fite4.jpg
fite4.jpg (508.49 KiB) Viewed 276 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

The only main Soviet force left West of the Dvina is a group of stragglers, one could even say a kampfgrppe! centered around the HQ of the 29th Corps. They are tying down elements of 4 German Divisions near the Neris River. Cut off from the realtive safety of the Dvina Line they buy time for their comrades in arms. The presence of the 20th Panzer Division indicates that mobile and fast enemy units must be close to Minsk, some 120 KM to the SE.

Note on the screenie the number of blown bridges in the area. A Soviet player is well advised to blow as many bridges as possible in the flight East. They will eat MP's and force the Axis player to divert bridging and engineer detachments to repair them. Try as much as possible to get any bridge over a major river and those bridges that have rails on them to maximise the disruption of the Axis supply network. As a side note Willie and I have chosen the no partisan option.

Attachments
fite5.jpg
fite5.jpg (690.17 KiB) Viewed 277 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

It is not only the Red Air Force that gets mauled in the opening turns. This screenie shows the state of the 3rd Mechanised Corps on the 4th July 1941. Stationed in the general vicinity of Vilnius its lies smack across the main axes of advance of Army Group North and the left wing of Army Group Centre. Few of its units made it out of the maelstorm as you can see, though historically it was involved in the Battle of Raseiniai and the infamous single KV-2 that held off the 6th Panzer Division for a day (its armour making it impervious to all anti tank weapons at the time) was part of the 2nd Tank Division, 3rd Mechanised Corps.

Attachments
fite6.jpg
fite6.jpg (200.69 KiB) Viewed 277 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

6th July 1941

The Wehrmacht crosses the Dvina on either side of the town of Ogre where the HQ of whats left of the 8th Army is holed up. 3rd SS Motorised Infantry Division and elements of 41st Panzer Korps stride the river while in Riga the defenders dig in deep into the urban area. Artillery strikes bracket the German crossing points with even 180mm railway guns pommeling the landsers as they try to cross the Dvina.

THe fast fording of this first speed bump has caused a rethink of strategy at STAVKA with several divisions placed further down the river entraining fast to positions further East. Other units are digging in and will hold the enemy to buy time for more troops to rail in from the hinterland.

Attachments
fite10.jpg
fite10.jpg (304.65 KiB) Viewed 277 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

In the Arctic Region the Luftwaffe carried a raid on the main airfield at Murmansk with 16 planes being destroyed, however the Germans lost several aircraft as well with several ME 109 and ME 110 wrecks dotting the tundra around Murmansk. Northern Fleet was once again requested to support operations in the area by the release of 1st and 2nd Destroyer Squadrons for a daring night bombardment of the Luftwaffe base at Kirkenes in Northern Norway. It was believed that surprise night attack would catch the Germans unawares on the ground. The attack was scheduled for 1:00am of the 6th July.

Attachments
fite8.jpg
fite8.jpg (231.01 KiB) Viewed 277 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

The 8 destroyers of the Northern Fleet let lose with their 5 inch guns for the large part of two hours. Plotting the shots in darkness was difficult but the airfield was due south of lighthouse situated at the headland at the entrance to the Kirkenes fjord and gunnery officers where using its light to direct the fire of the ships. Though no visual assessment of the immediate damage could be ascertained aerial reconnaisance had confirmed at least 4 burning wrecks on the field and the lack of Luftwaffe presence over the ships at dawn as well as the lack of air strikes on the Red Air Force bases in the area meant the raid was a good one. An extra ration of Vodka was crated to the tin cans upon their arrival courtesy of the local VVS commander!

Attachments
fite9.jpg
fite9.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 277 times

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

This post is for Larry:

Attachments
fite11.jpg
fite11.jpg (753 KiB) Viewed 277 times

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This post is for Larry:
Thanks but it's zoomed way to far out to be useful. Thanks for the effort though.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Larry, my MLR will run the line Narva-Melitopol and will use the main rivers as the anchor. In the North Lake Peipus is a great barrier and the land bridge between its banks and the Gulf of Finalnd has a super river behind which stands Narva and its fortified line. Further south the line of the Velikaya River; the forest between Opochka and Polotsk; then the Southern Dvina and a heavily fortified Orsha/Vitebsk gap. The line then follows the Dnepr River South to Kiev and then follows the river upto Zaporozhye. Another heavily fortified line will link the bend of the river with Melitopol. I know this sounds a very advanced line but there are substantial forces at Minsk and Odessa that will act as Festungs until the last bullet. The Soviets benefit from excellent internal lines of communication and I rail in upto 7 divisions per turn to the various front lines. I used this strategy to good effect in my last FITE game versus Willie and he is already one turn behind schedule. I have managed to get most of my Southern Army out of immediate danger and the retreating units will flesh out the line until arrivals from the East. Several mechanised and mobile units are on railways awaiting where they will be needed. The timely arrival of cannon fodder (erm I mean militia units) act as a great stop gap.

My airforce is coming back to strength and their a TON of new units in the Ural factories building up. The success of this strategy depends on how much my bridge blowing and the speed bumps and Minsk and Odessa slow Willie down. As soon as his shock levels come down he will feel the pinch in the supply dip and in ZOC penalties. Yet the old adage of all plans are FUBARed when contact is made is hovering at the back of my mind...

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Larry, my MLR will run the line Narva-Melitopol and will use the main rivers as the anchor.
In the North Lake Peipus is a great barrier and the land bridge between its banks and the
Gulf of Finalnd has a super river behind which stands Narva and its fortified line. Further
south the line of the Velikaya River; the forest between Opochka and Polotsk; then the Southern
Dvina and a heavily fortified Orsha/Vitebsk gap. The line then follows the Dnepr River
South to Kiev and then follows the river upto Zaporozhye. Another heavily fortified line
will link the bend of the river with Melitopol. I know this sounds a very advanced line
but there are substantial forces at Minsk and Odessa that will act as Festungs until the last
bullet. The Soviets benefit from excellent internal lines of communication and I rail in upto
7 divisions per turn to the various front lines. I used this strategy to good effect in my last
FITE game versus Willie and he is already one turn behind schedule. I have managed to
get most of my Southern Army out of immediate danger and the retreating units will flesh out
the line until arrivals from the East. Several mechanised and mobile units are on railways
awaiting where they will be needed. The timely arrival of cannon fodder (erm I mean militia
units) act as a great stop gap.

My airforce is coming back to strength and their a TON of new units in the Ural factories building
up. The success of this strategy depends on how much my bridge blowing and the speed bumps and
Minsk and Odessa slow Willie down. As soon as his shock levels come down he will feel the pinch
in the supply dip and in ZOC penalties. Yet the old adage of all plans are FUBARed when contact
is made is hovering at the back of my mind...
All of that sounds great. I assume you're resting your aircraft right now and that soon you will
unleash them and I'm wondering what you're using as a trigger for when to use the aircraft again.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

[/quote]
All of that sounds great. I assume you're resting your aircraft right now and that soon you will
unleash them and I'm wondering what you're using as a trigger for when to use the aircraft again.
[/quote]

i normally wait for shock levels to return to normal and them move fighters in first. it is important to raise proficiency levels asap and then once they are at about 50-60% I begin to have a regular rotation between the front and rear areas. Bomber units and attack aircraft are mostly in the North and around Moscow or Leningrad. They then concentrate at the axes of advance when the Red Army is benefitting from higher shock bonuses (eg December counter offensive).

However if things are bad at the Front everything including the kitchen sink is sent forwards to dam the flood

Return to “After Action Reports”