Looking for opponent-experienced German

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

HardLuckYetAgain

RE: Looking for opponent-experienced German

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

For number crunchers, spreadsheet advocates, meticulous tpes I completely understand why PBEM is a much needed factor for them so I don't think it's fair to judge others preferences or playstyles

Even though I prefer server both have pros and cons
I often find myself wanting to relook at my old turn files which I cannot do in multiplayer for one instance

Dont know who is judging. But if it is PBEM im not playing. Like people will come to a concesus of what they would like. So be it and nothing wrong with that.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

OMG... Do you want to play or not?

You seriously don't get that lots of people don't have time to play that much? Or perhaps you just teasing us poor folks that have to work and take care of family, oh and sleep! ;-)
- Mark
daretti

Post by daretti »

OMG I wrote the maximum number of weeks, for me there is no problem as there will be fewer turns
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
You can log onto the Server pull the game and play without being connected to the internet after it is downloaded.

I am out of date - I thought server games still needed an always on connection. Certainly old games used to insist on it. This would mean the game file is stored locally on your PC - how does a server prevent the abuses that are possible with PBEM?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
daretti

Post by daretti »

Telemecus pisz po polsku o co Ci chodzi bo nie czaje :P Mam oryginał kupiony na steamie ale nie wiem jak odpalić taką serwerową gre bo trzeba miec tam chyba serial gry a ja go nie dostalem. Po za tym zawsze grałem z kolegami PBEM w czym jest problem? bo szczerze mówiąc nie czaje ;] Robiliśmy turę odsyłaliśmy na maila i git...szczerze to nawet nie wiem na czym polega ta gra przez serwer ;]
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
You can log onto the Server pull the game and play without being connected to the internet after it is downloaded.

I am out of date - I thought server games still needed an always on connection. Certainly old games used to insist on it. This would mean the game file is stored locally on your PC - how does a server prevent the abuses that are possible with PBEM?

Nope, you don't need a continuous connection. You can download the game from the server to memory, disconnect from the internet, play your turn, connect back to the internet to send your turn. Just make sure not to turn off the computer since it will wipe your memory and the game. So "no" you do not need a persistent connection that so many people believe you need.

Please note these are my observations and by all means could be incorrect. But here is my theory;

The Server will log how many times the game is downloaded to the PC. So there will be a download and upload counter. These two counters should match for a non-reloader(as long as you download and upload you are golden, it is bad when you miss the upload). So if you downloaded the turn the download counter is incremented and later you upload the counter for upload is incremented. These two numbers should match for a non-reloaded game. If the numbers don't then the counters won't match. Such as someone downloaded the game 12 times but only 1 upload. Then this example shows that the game was reloaded 11 times in a server game. You can actually contact Slitherine and ask for a particular turn if your opponent has been reloading. They are extremely nice and will give the details. Just don't get in a habit of asking all the time. (I'm pretty sure you can also send a PBEM file to Slitherine and they can also tell you how many times a PBEM game was reloaded). Also from reading old posts if you reload a set amount of times your account gets banned. But I believe that threshold never was crossed since supposedly Slitherine sends out incriminating emails to the person reloading.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: daretti

Telemecus pisz po polsku o co Ci chodzi bo nie czaje :P Mam oryginał kupiony na steamie ale nie wiem jak odpalić taką serwerową gre bo trzeba miec tam chyba serial gry a ja go nie dostalem. Po za tym zawsze grałem z kolegami PBEM w czym jest problem? bo szczerze mówiąc nie czaje ;] Robiliśmy turę odsyłaliśmy na maila i git...szczerze to nawet nie wiem na czym polega ta gra przez serwer ;]

Nic nie jest nie tak z PBEM. Wiele osób woli gry serwerowe zamiast PBEM. Jestem pewien, że znajdziesz kogoś, kto zagra z tobą w grę PBEM. To wymaga czasu.

Dziękuję bardzo!
HardLuckYetAgain

Now back to the post where Daretti is still looking for a PBEM game :). Do we have any takers for Daretti? Would be really nice to find someone for this gentleman to play :)
lastkozak

Post by lastkozak »

The Server will log how many times the game is downloaded to the PC. So there will be a download and upload counter. These two counters should match for a non-reloader(as long as you download and upload you are golden, it is bad when you miss the upload). So if you downloaded the turn the download counter is incremented and later you upload the counter for upload is incremented. These two numbers should match for a non-reloaded game. If the numbers don't then the counters won't match. Such as someone downloaded the game 12 times but only 1 upload. Then this example shows that the game was reloaded 11 times in a server game. You can actually contact Slitherine and ask for a particular turn if your opponent has been reloading. They are extremely nice and will give the details. Just don't get in a habit of asking all the time. (I'm pretty sure you can also send a PBEM file to Slitherine and they can also tell you how many times a PBEM game was reloaded). Also from reading old posts if you reload a set amount of times your account gets banned. But I believe that threshold never was crossed since supposedly Slitherine sends out incriminating emails to the person reloading.

I have only played with the server a couple times a few years ago, but I was also of the impression that one needed a continual connection? I never did quite understand what happens when you save your file, so you could come back to it later, or when somebody else uses your computer and closes the game bc they don't ask you first, or shuts off the modem (grounds for divorce if you ask me).

So Hardluck you are saying that when you reconnect to the server, to upload your finished turn, the server does not download the file first? Where is your turn then saved? Someone could then reload from that could they not?

Maybe one of the developers could comment or clarify this! (I don't have time to go a searchin' in millions of posts for that answer).
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Nope, you don't need a continuous connection. You can download the game from the server to memory, disconnect from the internet, play your turn, connect back to the internet to send your turn. Just make sure not to turn off the computer since it will wipe your memory and the game. So "no" you do not need a persistent connection that so many people believe you need.

Please note these are my observations and by all means could be incorrect. But here is my theory;

I wouldn't always fear the worst if you were to ask and the counters were off by one or two. I had to reload a server game just yesterday because I had stepped away from my PC for a while and when I returned, the game screen was black. Obviously a video glitch because I could hear the clicking noise as I left clicked my mouse a number of times. I tried a few things but to no avail and had to terminate the program and start over. And that has happened to me on occasion so I do try and save if I am going to step away for a while.
lastkozak

Post by lastkozak »

Now back to the post where Daretti is still looking for a PBEM game :). Do we have any takers for Daretti? Would be really nice to find someone for this gentleman to play :)

I understand beginners needing experience, although I probably am not the best German player, but definitely no time for 7 turns a week!

Pbem's? make me think about the military's STD films (I was a Medic). (I can hear my Computer complaining, 'it burns when I delete files')!

lastkozk

HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: lastkozak

So Hardluck you are saying that when you reconnect to the server, to upload your finished turn, the server does not download the file first? Where is your turn then saved? Someone could then reload from that could they not?

The steps follow normal computer operations. If you are a computer person you should be able to follow them pretty easy but in a nutshell.

Log onto your computer -> download current turn to your computer(into memory) -> play your turn (no continuous connection required) -> upload your turn back to the server. Simple as that.

Reloading happens when you continuously download the game but not upload.
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I wouldn't always fear the worst if you were to ask and the counters were off by one or two. I had to reload a server game just yesterday because I had stepped away from my PC for a while and when I returned, the game screen was black. Obviously a video glitch because I could hear the clicking noise as I left clicked my mouse a number of times. I tried a few things but to no avail and had to terminate the program and start over. And that has happened to me on occasion so I do try and save if I am going to step away for a while.

Things happen for sure and not uncommon :)
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

If you don't find another victim soon, I might be able to entertain you starting sometime next week. Too busy next few days.
- Mark
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Log onto your computer -> download current turn to your computer(into memory) -> play your turn (no continuous connection required) -> upload your turn back to the server. Simple as that.

Guessing some of the intermediate steps: I assume by memory you mean the live memory not the hard disk memory - and so it would be lost every time you switch the computer off or exit the game. Hence you would have to redownload the game every time you exit it - you cannot reload with the copy already in the local memory. And hence the count of downloads minus uploads is (usually) the same as the number of reloads.

If this is correct it would still mean people need PBEM if they play at home and cannot get a home internet connection say. There is no way you can download a server game to your computer, switch off the computer, take it home and start playing a server game offline there.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
HardLuckYetAgain

Guessing some of the intermediate steps: I assume by memory you mean the live memory not the hard disk memory - and so it would be lost every time you switch the computer off or exit the game. Hence you would have to redownload the game every time you exit it - you cannot reload with the copy already in the local memory. And hence the count of downloads minus uploads is (usually) the same as the number of reloads.

If this is correct it would still mean people need PBEM if they play at home and cannot get a home internet connection say. There is no way you can download a server game to your computer, switch off the computer, take it home and start playing a server game offline there.

Hey to each their own, I'm not knocking either scenario but I'm am saying if you are crafty you can make anything work. Such as if you had a laptop with a good battery the scenario you presented will work (as long as you don't turn off the computer). I have actually done what you wrote on a Caribbean Cruise. So I know for a fact 100% it will work :). It was even done on a MAC laptop computer.

BUT I can just about guarantee you that most of the world now has internet connection either by a home based internet connection or from their Cell phone. The delimiting factor of not having an internet connection should be an extremely low number of people. Or maybe I'm looking at the scenario through "rose-colored glasses". Either way, whichever one works for the participant is fine as long both agree.

Thanks for reading.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”