2by3+

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

ledo

RE: 2by3+ SOVIET SIDE ONLY, German dont enter.

Post by ledo »

It turns out AGS has cut the rail line. Meaning I can't rail straight in. As a result, I don't think we'll be able to sneak in, particularly as the marsh should be pocketed by next turn. So I've decided not to go ahead with the swamp attack.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Alright no problem, we will have more opportunities.
ledo

Post by ledo »

Hi guys,

I've finished my turn, the file is in the dropbox. I've currently evacuated factories exclusively in Moscow as Leningrad is almost empty, and the Southern front doesn't have anything directly threatened.

This turn I evacuated all of the following:

T40
Pe-3 (Just 1)
Pe-2
Pe-2R
IL-4

There's only approximately 9-10k railcap left. I'll leave that for now just in case, but if we don't use it by the end of the turn, might be worth spending it moving some armaments out of Tula or Bryansk.

Thanks,

Ledo
Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

If you hover over a hex the German controls, the status of that rail line, I.e. damaged or not, I.e. repaired or not, shows. So you should be able to see if that is indeed their rail line for supply or not.
If yes, go for it!
If not, then you might get some infantry divisions distracted. But, given that they are not pushing hard in that area, that doesn’t matter that much.
I did something similar in the past in a game. Made me feel good, looks suitably messy for a few turns, but in the end achieved next to nothing I am sad to report. It cost me two cavalry divisions.

After the series of pockets and the huge losses we took, I think we ought to be reasonably conservative with our ground forces for a few turns, and pray....

Come the mud, things will brighten up, but that is still a long way to go....

To our comrade commanders:
With the southern forces, I plan to continue a wide general retreat to the line of Kursk and Kharkov, but trying to hold on these cities. This overall shortening of my front ( as it current.y runs way to much west east as opposed to north south) will free up some forces we bitterly need.
Furthermore, the lack of fighting in the area means that the supplies and men can go to other sectors.

Could I suggest a joint up defensive line that runs along the Oka to Orel and beyond, then following the Tuskar river past Kursk, then via the patches of forests west of Belgorod, on to Kharkov.
There is nothing of value west of that line, it shortens the line and frees up troops for the defence of Moscow, and to plug the huge gap still in the Rostov area.

Could I also suggest that Central command is in charge of the area in the line north of the Psel river ( halfway between Kursk and Belgorod), and Southerns Command will look after the area south of that. These are just some humble suggestions awaiting the final decree of High Command in Moscow.

I would think this should free up the guts of, or even all the blue units west of Bryansk to help in front of Moscow over the coming few turns.
The Kursk sector will only be defended lightly by us, yes, but I doubt the Germans will send their tanks that way. And their infantry will take 4-5 turns to reestablich contact with our lines again, bringing us much closer to the mud respite. In fact, at present, I am anxious about a sudden southern swing of their armour spearheads southwards towards Orel and Kursk which could bag a lot of our forces.
( all I have is the above images, so things might look very different already.....).

Yours faithfully and in unwavering belief in our final victory!
ledo

Post by ledo »

The build up is a bit worrying, but I doubt they are planning to go much further than Bryansk & Tula from Centre to South. Their supply lines would be too long with a rail line back in Vitebsk. If AGS starts grouping panzers on the northern part of their sector, I'll start to get more worried about an actual encirclement, at this point I'm expecting a minor thrust and then a redirect back towards Moscow.

Thanks for the write up Kratsch, very useful and i'll keep it in mind. I did in fact hover over the Vitebsk square to determine, I just forgot, I use the units to give me a hint which way to look. Go one up if the rail line decreases its north etc.

I'll take a look at the proposed defensive line, but if you could give me a quick map with the proposed split of defensive responsibilities I'd be happy to roll with it.
Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

Sure, I’ll post a picture with the suggested line a few days when back home ( just on iPad here).

I have seen they did their file. What happened??? Just nosy and worried about our survival.....

Anyone able to post some screenshots ? 😇
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

No its Doctorking who did his turn. No German files yet.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Its Central commander's turn.

Reinforcement were sent in the middle again.
The Germans are flanking us at Moscow.

Several airplanes around the Moscow area were changed to Yak 1, Laggs and IL-2s.

Huge pocket near Lake Ilmen in the North.

The South Looks good so far.

Do not forget the new orders starting now.

ORIGINAL: Neogodhobo

NEW ORDER OF THE DAY

I want every single division to hit every German troops in front of them. Do not advance and capture territory if gains are made. Hold your defensive position as much as you can, but attack the enemy as much as you can as well. I want us to be relentless. I want the Germans to consume their supplies like fire, I want to destroy at least 1 tank or vehicle per attack, per division, per turn. Those attacks will be to put a strain on the enemy. Attack not only once, but as much as you can, 4 times if you can. The more we get the Germans to consume their supplies and get broken/destroyed vehicles, the better we are off.
Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

The latest file asks for the Axis password?! Am I missing something?
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

You are definitely missing something dude ! check again haha ;) Look for the
"Supcomend" file
Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

doh, looked in the 'archive' folder....

Things indeed look a grim in the north: reinforces the concept that a single line of defence against Pz Divs will never hold at this stage of the war. Time to run quite a bit I guess to preserve as much as possible? The pockets are killing us...
Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

Are we doing North -> Centre - > South this time round?

Asking because I would have time now or tomorrow morning to do my part, but don't want to confuse the sequence.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Yeah the pockets are killing us, thats for sure...

So any news on the central front?

We are always doing Supcom - Central - North - South. - Sup com
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Yeah, I'll go after center.

I sort of figured I was going to get killed up there but didn't realize it would be this bad. I could use some reinforcements if we have any to spare.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

We dont have any reinforcement to spare. They all went to the center and we will absolutely need them there.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Its Central commander's turn.

Reinforcement were sent in the middle again.
The Germans are flanking us at Moscow.

Several airplanes around the Moscow area were changed to Yak 1, Laggs and IL-2s.

Huge pocket near Lake Ilmen in the North.

The South Looks good so far.

Do not forget the new orders starting now.

NEW ORDER OF THE DAY

I want every single division to hit every German troops in front of them. Do not advance and capture territory if gains are made. Hold your defensive position as much as you can, but attack the enemy as much as you can as well. I want us to be relentless. I want the Germans to consume their supplies like fire, I want to destroy at least 1 tank or vehicle per attack, per division, per turn. Those attacks will be to put a strain on the enemy. Attack not only once, but as much as you can, 4 times if you can. The more we get the Germans to consume their supplies and get broken/destroyed vehicles, the better we are off.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

OK, once they take Leningrad I will form a skirmish line and fight a slow withdrawal towards Cherepovets/Rybinsk. I don't think there's much of anything up there that they want anyway. I will certainly attack wherever it appears I can gain an advantage. I intend to attack to try to open the pocket if I can.

Hopefully there are some bombers that can fly air resupply missions to my units in the pocket.
ledo

Post by ledo »

Hi guys,

I've finished my turn and its in the Dropbox. I haven't done factory evacs yet though. I probably have to evac kalinin, Bryansk and N.Moscow this turn. I'm very concerned about how quickly and powerfully he shifted North. I can do evacs at the end of the turn if that's alright, and I also need some advice, should I thin my line in the centre more to strengthen the line blocking his advance in the North. Because currently I think he's just going to breeze through in the North.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

You didnt attack anyone though ?

Guys, if you dont attack the Germans, they will never be tired, or they will never loose tanks or supplies. The orders are to attack every single german units possible. Every attack on German Tank Division is susceptible to inflict 2-4 tank loss on them. Thats HUGE. If we never attack them, they will never suffer any losses.

I want every one of our division to attack every single german division that is possible to do without moving.

NEW ORDER OF THE DAY

Kratsch

Post by Kratsch »

I had a quick look.

I would definitely strengthen the area north of Moscow!!! Unstack some of your big stacks if need be, in particular when units stacked are from different commands (gets a sign reduction in CV for command confusion).
Shuffle some more stuff north - their main attack is coming from there!

Defend the Klyasma river line against an attack from the north. It is much better to have 3 hexes behind each other with a unit each, than one hex with three units! It is 41, our fighting is crap; but via EZOCs, it uses up their MPs, to slow them to a crawl.
At present, they can pick if they want to cut south west or east of Moscow. West is more conservative, will back most of everything you have west of Moscow, and effectively end the game. East of Moscow is even more ambitious, a bit more risky, but equally can turn into a game ender I fear...
That bulge in your line NW of Moscow is just asking to be pocketed...

Also, your HQs are all over the place far far away from their troops! They need to be max 5 hexes from their forces. Click on an HQ, their units will light up, and should not be red if at all possible!!

I know I will get sent to the gulags, but I have strong reservations about the kamikaze attack order....We do not have the strength (yet) for that, and the disruption to our forces will make their attacks so much easier... In winter - yes; in 42 onwards - yes, but I do think now is not the time, particularly given the mass losses due to all the pockets. If we were flush with forces, by all means, start the meat-grinder/attrition engine, but we are not. If anything, we are desperately short of forces....

Return to “After Action Reports”