Unrealistic Government Relocations

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

ikrananka

Unrealistic Government Relocations

Post by ikrananka »

While playing a 1939 campaign game as the Axis, against the AI, I experienced a number of repeated UK government relocations that, in my opinion, were just not realistic. After I took London with my forces, the government moved to Manchester, which was still well under Allied control and quite reasonable. However, at one point a Partisan unit popped up in London (being a newbie at the game I didn't know that I needed an Axis unit there to prevent this), and immediately the government moved back to London, despite this being many hexes behind enemy lines. There were no Axis units anywhere near London at the time, but it is not realistic, again in my opinion, that the government would move into a location surrounded by enemy held territory and far behind the front line.

A similar event occurred later as well after I had taken Manchester, with the government relocating from Scotland to Manchester when it was well behind enemy lines (in this case a Partisan unit from Liverpool moved one hex into Manchester triggering the government relocation).

I would suggest that a more realistic criteria would be that the city to relocate to must be surrounded by friendly owned hexes and that at least one regular friendly miltary unit be in the city. I don't believe that the presence of partisans justifies a government relocation.

Thoughts?
n0kn0k

RE: Unrealistic Government Relocations

Post by n0kn0k »

Good point.
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Never seen that happen. I thought that once a capital had been taken and the government had moved to an Alternate capital, the original site was ineligible to become the capital again.

Playing PBEM vs. a human, I did once briefly regain London via partisan and it triggered some scripted events that required the Allies to be holding London, but I didn't notice that London had been re-stablished as the British capital. Maybe it was and I just didn't see it. Was there a pop-up? Or did the capital symbol just move back to London?
ikrananka

Post by ikrananka »

ORIGINAL: Leadwieght

Was there a pop-up? Or did the capital symbol just move back to London?

Yes, there was a pop-up each time the government moved.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

At one time capitals did not relocate and this had its own set of concerns, i.e. Moscow perhaps did not return to being a capital if the USSR was able to recapture and push forward from there, so upon request the engine was updated to allow for capitals to be re-established. But that being said it can lead to some instances such as the one above that are not as desirable either.

We'll think about possible adjustments for the future.
ikrananka

Post by ikrananka »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

At one time capitals did not relocate and this had its own set of concerns, i.e. Moscow perhaps did not return to being a capital if the USSR was able to recapture and push forward from there, so upon request the engine was updated to allow for capitals to be re-established. But that being said it can lead to some instances such as the one above that are not as desirable either.

We'll think about possible adjustments for the future.

Thanks Hubert. Quite amazing to have so much engagement from the developers of the game - kudos to you and Bill :)

BTW - none of my posts are in any way meant to be criticisms of the game - just constructive feedback as I know you guys are always working on improvements. I had a blast playing the campaign game and will now be looking for a PBEM game and will also be trying out some of the mods.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”