Semi OT - neat pics

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lecivius

Semi OT - neat pics

Post by Lecivius »

I found this while surfing. Some of these pics I had not seen before, so sorta cool.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/photos/w ... li=BBnbfcP
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
btd64

RE: Semi OT - neat pics

Post by btd64 »

Thanks for sharing. A lot of unseen pics in there....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Affirmative. 95% of them I have not seen before. Thanks for the link.[&o]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

That's a BAR isn't it?

Attachments
bar.jpg
bar.jpg (138.71 KiB) Viewed 230 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Remember "The Sand Pebbles"? It had Richard Attenborough playing an American sailor whose nickname was "Frenchie". The sometimes awful actor Richard Crenna but in this case quite ok at some point asks "Who's got the BAR?" as though it's part of the San Pablo's ordinance. Steve McQueen had the BAR.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

That American is nearly a foot taller than the German, but that gun looks big for him, a little.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If I recall correctly, Bonnie of Bonnie and Clyde, her favorite implement was a BAR and she called it a "chopper", as in she could chop down a tree with it.

Tigrizzli

Post by Tigrizzli »

Thanks for sharing.

Too bad they just throw every photos as they found them and without checking the caption.

Doesn't really matter but...

29 It looks like they're not jews (triangle only here, so: ... politics... common law.. etc...)
42 euh wait it looks like they have already disembarked no?
65 1940? so Bf109E?! looks like no (if one thing, check tail) not sure if it is not just a propaganda heavily modified photo...
66 Probably correct, FCM 2C 51ème BCC (wich will probably be captured in june on a train without having see any fighting...)
75 ah? the Fw200 was also a fighter? :)

So as allways with MSN, nice finds but who need to be taken with a pinch of salt...

Yves.
Dili

Post by Dili »

There was some air combat between B-24 and Catalinas and Fw-200's [:'(]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I was reading something recently where Avengers were ordered to provide CAP. Stuff happened.

Tigrizzli

Post by Tigrizzli »

Yes but I know just one case where it's the Fw200 who successfully hunted a B24. Near Port-Lyautey:

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 180954663/

But it was only because of the B24 attack and to protect the second Focke...

So, following such reasonment, every plane is a fighter [:)]: There may have been an aircraft shot down by a Gigant Me323 and even by a wirraway [;)] ...
(And in 1914, you could be a fighter with an unarmed, unarmored, unstable plane just by throwing small rocks, playing darts, scraps of metal, squirrels, wooden giant rabbits*, dropping's pellets or even empty wine bottles (it's a history fact: the french had bunch of them and it was the first time an 'ecological glass recycling program' have been developped) on the the lower plane pilot's head... (it was a time of aerial chevalry...[8|])

*with or without sir Lancelot, sir Galahad and sir Bedivere inside. ...Probably without by the way
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Slide 17 : The Uboat deck cannon frozen up.

I have not seen that particular photo before.

It states Uboat in the polar sea 1942 but is rather less than specific.

One wonders if that was common place and when it was taken and where.. on the convoy routes to Russia perhaps? North Sea? North Atlantic? Closer to Russia?

If I recall correctly the Uboat menace peaked in late 1942 - early 1943 (during winter months); and then by mid 1943 the Allies had turned the corner.

One wonders how the Uboats had so much success facing those conditions.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Tigrizzli

Yes but I know just one case where it's the Fw200 who successfully hunted a B24. Near Port-Lyautey:

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 180954663/

But it was only because of the B24 attack and to protect the second Focke...

So, following such reasonment, every plane is a fighter [:)]: There may have been an aircraft shot down by a Gigant Me323 and even by a wirraway [;)] ...
(And in 1914, you could be a fighter with an unarmed, unarmored, unstable plane just by throwing small rocks, playing darts, scraps of metal, squirrels, wooden giant rabbits*, dropping's pellets or even empty wine bottles (it's a history fact: the french had bunch of them and it was the first time an 'ecological glass recycling program' have been developped) on the the lower plane pilot's head... (it was a time of aerial chevalry...[8|])

*with or without sir Lancelot, sir Galahad and sir Bedivere inside. ...Probably without by the way
The "darts" were several inch long, triangular (in cross section) shaped steel weapons called flechettes that had enough mass and velocity to penetrate a man from head to toe, even if he had a helmet on. They were dropped by the handful over trenches and any mass of marching troops the aircraft could find. This was early WWI, before bomb racks were available and before MGs were effective enough for strafing.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Remember "The Sand Pebbles"? It had Richard Attenborough playing an American sailor whose nickname was "Frenchie". The sometimes awful actor Richard Crenna but in this case quite ok at some point asks "Who's got the BAR?" as though it's part of the San Pablo's ordinance. Steve McQueen had the BAR.

Guess they always gave the BAR to the skinniest guy in the unit.

Seems Combat got it right by giving it to Kirby!
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Slide 17 : The Uboat deck cannon frozen up.

I have not seen that particular photo before.

It states Uboat in the polar sea 1942 but is rather less than specific.

One wonders if that was common place and when it was taken and where.. on the convoy routes to Russia perhaps? North Sea? North Atlantic? Closer to Russia?

If I recall correctly the Uboat menace peaked in late 1942 - early 1943 (during winter months); and then by mid 1943 the Allies had turned the corner.

One wonders how the Uboats had so much success facing those conditions.
Ships had it even worse in the North Atlantic. They accumulated so much ice that the crew had to use axes to smash it off to prevent capsizing.

Attachments
icecoveredturrets.jpg
icecoveredturrets.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 231 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Tigrizzli

Thanks for sharing.

Too bad they just throw every photos as they found them and without checking the caption.

Doesn't really matter but...

29 It looks like they're not jews (triangle only here, so: ... politics... common law.. etc...)
42 euh wait it looks like they have already disembarked no?
65 1940? so Bf109E?! looks like no (if one thing, check tail) not sure if it is not just a propaganda heavily modified photo...
66 Probably correct, FCM 2C 51ème BCC (wich will probably be captured in june on a train without having see any fighting...)
75 ah? the Fw200 was also a fighter? :)

So as allways with MSN, nice finds but who need to be taken with a pinch of salt...

Yves.

It is just "click bait" used to expose people to ads. Useless and poorly organized information with no real context or theme just thrown together to get you to click on them. They then charge for the ads by the number of clicks. Pretty useless collection of photos as the only thing they share in common is that they were all shot in WWII.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
slpatgun

Post by slpatgun »

Yes it is.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

They forgot this one

Attachments
hj.jpg
hj.jpg (384.38 KiB) Viewed 230 times