trouble deploying some new troops.

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

trouble deploying some new troops.

Post by IBender »

IN a global game with all options turned on, we are experiencing some trouble with some of the troops either sides builds. The screen shot attached is of a troop that needs to deploy to holland but cant. I thought it would allow us to deploy him like next to a city or something but instead it doesnt allow it to deploy. Greece fell and the athens garrison wont deploy. There is a japanese Batavia regiment that wont deploy.

Any ideas why this is happening? My normal experience is that if a unit needs to deploy someplace but cant, then it goes into an empty spot adjacent. This game some units just wont deploy as in the screen shot.

Thanks guys
Attachments
holland.jpg
holland.jpg (205.93 KiB) Viewed 121 times
paulderynck

RE: trouble deploying some new troops.

Post by paulderynck »

That's strange. The unit pictured and the others you mention are all City Based Volunteers (CBV) and CBVs are not coded in the game yet. Did someone try to edit the game file to change selected options?
Paul
IBender

Post by IBender »

How do I upload a game file. You can see it easily. And yes that would be very strange indeed.
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Zip game file and then you can post here just like pictures.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
IBender

Post by IBender »

Please take a look. A few clicks into the end of turn and you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks
Attachments
HD99.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Just as I suspected - somehow in this game file, every single optional rule, including quite a number that are not coded - is turned on. Even 2D10 and Blitz Bonus are both on and they are supposed to be mutually exclusive. Open it and type CTRL-O and see for yourself.

Either the file has been edited or it has become corrupted. Since it still opens and tries to function, I'd have to suspect the former.

I don't know if this game can be repaired, but if you have a list of the optional rules that were agreed upon and desired, I could try - but the units you are talking about can never come on and there may very well be all kinds of strange behavior in store for the players due to artifacts in the game file from non-existing optionals that have tried to operate up to this time. There is some code in the program that implements portions of the optional rules that have yet to be officially supported and that is what's causing your problem.

Also the game version you are using is only 2.1.4. There have been many fixes since then.
Paul
IBender

Post by IBender »

Thank you that is very nice of you to offer. I wont trouble you with that. We will play out another year or 2 of the game for fun then restart after updating.
IBender

Post by IBender »

I am having some trouble updating my game. It is version 2.1.4 I believe. When I hit the update button from the world in flames game menu, it tells me I have the current version of the game, yet from what I learned in this post, I do not.

How should I update the game?

Thanks
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Do you mean the 'check for new version' under the Help command on the Main Form? If so, that does not seem to work. Instead, you need to run the Autorun EXE in the World in Flames folder. If that's the one you mean and it's not working for you, then you likely need to get some assistance from Matrix Customer Support.
Paul
IBender

Post by IBender »

Thank you yes I meant the check for new version...I will give your idea a try. thanks
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: IBender

I am having some trouble updating my game. It is version 2.1.4 I believe. When I hit the update button from the world in flames game menu, it tells me I have the current version of the game, yet from what I learned in this post, I do not.

How should I update the game?

Thanks
warspite1

The auto update has never worked for this game. I would go here and if you are not a member already then get signed-up. Once signed up and have the game registered you can update from here.

https://www.matrixgames.com/members/default.asp

I am rubbish with computers so have to get a grown-up to help me [:D] If having done the above you have any issue I'd PM Orm or AllenK - they are sensible people and know what they are doing with this stuff [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Although I was one of many who experienced some difficulties with the auto-update, it has been solid for me for a couple years now.

Saying "it has never worked" may be true for you, but it is not a general truth.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Although I was one of many who experienced some difficulties with the auto-update, it has been solid for me for a couple years now.

Saying "it has never worked" may be true for you, but it is not a general truth.
warspite1

Which is curious for a number of reasons, not least you are the first person I ever heard say the auto update worked for. But moreover, rather begs the question why such a mechanism would work for some and not others - especially as there is not one single Matrix title to my recollection - other than World In Flames - that the auto updater does not work for.

To IBender, if the 'Check for Update' button works for you then all the better.

AllenK

Post by AllenK »

Auto update worked for me initially but when I tried to update to the 2.7 official one, it said I already had the latest version, so I had to do it the manual way.
IBender

Post by IBender »

e, it said I already had th

I just successfully updated via the manual way also. Was easy and worked fine.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: IBender
e, it said I already had th

I just successfully updated via the manual way also. Was easy and worked fine.
warspite1

Good news [:)]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: paulderynck

warspite1

Which is curious for a number of reasons, not least you are the first person I ever heard say the auto update worked for. But moreover, rather begs the question why such a mechanism would work for some and not others - especially as there is not one single Matrix title to my recollection - other than World In Flames - that the auto updater does not work for.

To IBender, if the 'Check for Update' button works for you then all the better.
Yes it is curious, but others have stated on this forum that it has worked for them also.
Paul

Return to “WIF School”