Reconnaissance overflights...more detail needed?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Reconnaissance overflights...more detail needed?

Post by Rusty1961 »

Okay, I've got F5 recon units (the P38 version) and while my pilots are in the 60 or 70 for recon, they give little detail on planes based on a hex they over-flew.

I find this hard to believe given the high resolution of Allied cameras during the later part of the war. I read that by '44 they had such incredible resolution that even if a German MG nest was entirely under cammoflage, the camera could detect the disturbance in the dirt from the muzzle blast of said MG after it shot.

Thus, I think that dedicated allied recon planes should be able to tell me what types of planes are at an airfield under optimum circumstances (weather, etc).

Yes, I have tried flying them at 10,000 feet to see if the accuracy improved the lower I flew, but to no avail.

God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
BBfanboy

RE: Reconnaissance overflights...more detail needed?

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Okay, I've got F5 recon units (the P38 version) and while my pilots are in the 60 or 70 for recon, they give little detail on planes based on a hex they over-flew.

I find this hard to believe given the high resolution of Allied cameras during the later part of the war. I read that by '44 they had such incredible resolution that even if a German MG nest was entirely under cammoflage, the camera could detect the disturbance in the dirt from the muzzle blast of said MG after it shot.

Thus, I think that dedicated allied recon planes should be able to tell me what types of planes are at an airfield under optimum circumstances (weather, etc).

Yes, I have tried flying them at 10,000 feet to see if the accuracy improved the lower I flew, but to no avail.

Cameras of the era still could not see through cloud ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Cameras of the era still could not see through cloud ...

"optimum".
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Why would you assume that overflying plane would see all the present planes? They can be in hangars, on missions, camuflaged etc.
Yet, with X fighters, Y bombers, Z aux as a standard game intel info those estimated numbers are pretty close to reality with high detection levels.
If you want to see types of planes that would mean rewriting of the code (hardly any chance) and thinking a lot about how exactly to fit all this into pop-up base display. Names + numbers can take a lot of space
obvert

Post by obvert »

Most of the cameras used were very large format negatives with extreme telephoto lenses. So yes, you're absolutely correct. In fact the image below shows planes marked as "unserviceable," meaning the photo intelligence team could determine they'd been damaged and were not useable from this photo. I assume they could have easily identified them too.

I think the game balance is about right here, with the Allied getting a LOT more capability and reliability using recon, but neither side having perfect info.

Attachments
Hollandia..rch1944.jpg
Hollandia..rch1944.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 126 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

There is a big difference in the ETO and PTO:
Greater distances
Jungle
Distance between supporting bases

In England, there were so many bases and ease of transport to disseminate photo and written reports
In PNG/Northern Australia/Solomons - try riding a bike with a backpack of photos between them.

There should be a consideration of the time it would take a plane to fly a 6 hour mission, get the photos developed, pass the photos out to the proper intel group, do the analysis and then get that report to the field commanders. Given we are shown 'real time' reports from the fliers, the information should be sketchy. Maybe a little more but not highly detailed in a 'real time' format.

I also wish there were more 'accumulated' intel within the game itself, but external programs like Intel Monkey, Combat Reporter and Tracker can help shape the Bigger Picture.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Fake Japanese AA gun.

Attachments
jpgfakeJa..eAAgun.jpg
jpgfakeJa..eAAgun.jpg (253.73 KiB) Viewed 124 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Fake plane

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.07 KiB) Viewed 125 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Bamboo Bombers

Attachments
BambooBombers.jpg
BambooBombers.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 125 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Fake plane Japanese

Attachments
Japanesedummyplane.jpg
Japanesedummyplane.jpg (353.2 KiB) Viewed 125 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Stone tank

Attachments
dummytank..IwoJima.jpg
dummytank..IwoJima.jpg (197.92 KiB) Viewed 128 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Fake Japanese guns

Attachments
DummyJapa..acements.jpg
DummyJapa..acements.jpg (213.71 KiB) Viewed 125 times

obvert

Post by obvert »

Very cool. I've never seen these dummy guns, tanks and planes on the Japanese side. The allies did a lot of fake placement as we know, but this one is new to me. Thanks!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

So you are asking someone to make a code change in a ten year old game engine? Good luck there..[:-]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Very cool. I've never seen these dummy guns, tanks and planes on the Japanese side. The allies did a lot of fake placement as we know, but this one is new to me. Thanks!
Cheap Japanese fakes of Western fakes!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
alimentary

Post by alimentary »

They appear to be genuine fakes.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: obvert

Not quite legible on the bottom :

Manufactured by the Acme Manufacturing Company
Formosa / Burma / Okinawa / DEI

Whereas Allied versions

Manufactured by the Roadrunner Corporation
Flagstaff AZ

[8D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”