Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Hanekem

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Hanekem »

So, I am using the exe with Retreat EU (I like mods that slow down early FTL) and noticed that hanger AI seems to build fighters only. This is porbably related to something the exe is doing (perhasp in part due to the Fighter and bomber hangars of the mod) but I am quite sure that the fighter/bomber ratio was moddifiable but I don't seem to recall where (or if at all, maybe I am confused)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Hanekem

So, I am using the exe with Retreat EU (I like mods that slow down early FTL) and noticed that hanger AI seems to build fighters only. This is porbably related to something the exe is doing (perhasp in part due to the Fighter and bomber hangars of the mod) but I am quite sure that the fighter/bomber ratio was moddifiable but I don't seem to recall where (or if at all, maybe I am confused)

Hi,

If you are only using the exe with another mod's files then you will only get fighters. You need to add the new BomberBay component to build bombers. FighterBays make fighters and BomberBays make bombers. That's how you control the ratio of fighters to bombers on your ships. It's pretty easy to add a component and the accompanying research to a mod. You can look at the example files I included on page one for some popular mods.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Hi,

If you are only using the exe with another mod's files then you will only get fighters. You need to add the new BomberBay component to build bombers. FighterBays make fighters and BomberBays make bombers. That's how you control the ratio of fighters to bombers on your ships. It's pretty easy to add a component and the accompanying research to a mod. You can look at the example files I included on page one for some popular mods.

So, basically, I'd need to do a component called Bomber Bay, associate it to the proper techs (so they can create/improve it) and that's that? or do I need to set the Bay name in a particular fashion?
I was looking at the files you linked for the other two mods, so I am just asking for clarifications, in case I misssed something (plos I am using the editor, so I might be missing a flag or something and given the game's load time, I'd rather be sure of whatever modification I am going to do)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

So, basically, I'd need to do a component called Bomber Bay, associate it to the proper techs (so they can create/improve it) and that's that? or do I need to set the Bay name in a particular fashion?
I was looking at the files you linked for the other two mods, so I am just asking for clarifications, in case I misssed something (plos I am using the editor, so I might be missing a flag or something and given the game's load time, I'd rather be sure of whatever modification I am going to do)

You are correct. A bomber bay is an exact copy of a fighter bay except its name. If the component name contains 'bomber' then it will build bombers. Otherwise it will build fighters.
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

You are correct. A bomber bay is an exact copy of a fighter bay except its name. If the component name contains 'bomber' then it will build bombers. Otherwise it will build fighters.

Neat, so in this case in particular, I do need to ask one more question, I am using Retreat's mod, and components have long names with a "Component type - component name" structure, this is done to allow a sort and have all types close to one another, so in the case of Hangar bays the prefix is Fighters, going to err on caution and probably rename them craft or snubs (to pay homage to Star Wars), but what would happen if the component has both tags, Fighter and bomber, but do you think that would be problematic?
Jorgen_CAB

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

May one ask what tools you are using to mod the DistantWorld.exe... everything in this mod is awesome but I would like to poke around in the code as well?

For example I would like to change the Graviton Beam to do less damage to small ships and more to large ships, something to not make bigger ships the only option in the game. Perhaps some other weapon balance changes too.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Will "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders" work with just the first patch provided on the OP or is there additional changes needed? I'm asking because I'm still getting weird crashes.

And how about ehsumrell1's star trek mod?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Neat, so in this case in particular, I do need to ask one more question, I am using Retreat's mod, and components have long names with a "Component type - component name" structure, this is done to allow a sort and have all types close to one another, so in the case of Hangar bays the prefix is Fighters, going to err on caution and probably rename them craft or snubs (to pay homage to Star Wars), but what would happen if the component has both tags, Fighter and bomber, but do you think that would be problematic?

I believe the logic is if the component has "bomber" in the name it produces bombers, otherwise it produces fighters.

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

May one ask what tools you are using to mod the DistantWorld.exe... everything in this mod is awesome but I would like to poke around in the code as well?

For example I would like to change the Graviton Beam to do less damage to small ships and more to large ships, something to not make bigger ships the only option in the game. Perhaps some other weapon balance changes too.

Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words about the mod. Unfortunately my policy is to not comment about how it was made. Since the developers took active steps to prevent this sort of thing I think it is best to say nothing. Sorry.
Your idea about the graviton beam doing more damage based on ship size is excellent. I remember it worked that way in MOO2. I modded a weapon like that in Star Drive 2.

ORIGINAL: Capshades

Will "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders" work with just the first patch provided on the OP or is there additional changes needed? I'm asking because I'm still getting weird crashes.

And how about ehsumrell1's star trek mod?

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words about the mod. Unfortunately my policy is to not comment about how it was made. Since the developers took active steps to prevent this sort of thing I think it is best to say nothing. Sorry.
Your idea about the graviton beam doing more damage based on ship size is excellent. I remember it worked that way in MOO2. I modded a weapon like that in Star Drive 2.

Sure... I respect that you don't want to tell how you did it. I seem to be on my way to solving it myself, the fact I know you could do it was enough for me to invest time to experiment with it. I don't intend to release any mods though, was more for my own amusement.

My idea with the Graviton Beam and the exploding version was that it should be a mid to late game weapon and roughly at the same tech level as when you research ship sizes of roughly 650 size. The beam would be roughly equivalent to the same type of other energy weapons at damage potential against 650 size ships. It would then do less damage to smaller ships and more damage the bigger they get. Sort of a long range Anti-capital weapon that is large in size and require lots of energy.

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Area and Grav weapons are garbage. Any change to these would be most welcome imo.
Tsiru

Post by Tsiru »

The problem on windows 10 is that it's waiting on a thread from svhost to finish.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

@Tsiru, did you get it working? I'm assuming this the issue where the modded exe file doesn't do anything after running on Windows 10. I had gone through and modded all of the relevant files for the RetreatUE mod and wanted to test it to see if it was working properly then came across this non-starting issue after loading in the Bacon mod files.

I'm DasTactic on YouTube and was really wanting to make a live-stream about the two mods. :( Hopefully there will be a solution some time soon. I saw that a number of people on Steam had had this issue as well for quite some time with no work-around.

I'll upload the files I've changed to (hopefully) have the RetreatUE mod work with the Bacon mod in case anyone else is wanting to test things. The main area I'm unsure about is the changes to the research.txt files with the fighters. The RetreatUE mod seems to have some different code structures in there when comparing to the base game research.txt file which may have to do with racial limitations.

If anyone is wanting to try this out...
1. Install the Bacon mod.
2. Install the RetreatUE mod (but maybe change the name of the directory to 'Bacon RetreatUE').
3. Replace the files in the Bacon RetreatUE directory with the txt files in the zip.

As I said I hadn't been able to test this at all so there may be issues.
Attachments
RetreatUE_..NTESTED.zip
(66.42 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Hi Das,

I can confirm that with Bacon 1.65, RetreatUE II and your modded files the game does load and start as it should. At least it does for me, I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by.

But there is a little bit more you'd need to do with regard to fighters/bombers, the "Ultimate Hanger Bay" doesn't enable an equivalent bomber bay.

There's also the Caleph specific fighter bay tech ("Natural Flight Integration", "Multi Dimension Maintenance" and "Advanced Natural Flight"), which would need their equivalent bomber bays unless you don't mind them being at a bit of a disadvantage. Or you could just disable their race file of course, would probably be simpler!
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

I too can positively confirm that RetreatUE DOES work with baconmod if you properly modify all the files.

I myself am running a modified version of retreatUE with a bunch of other mods slapped together with BaconMod. The only issue I have is whenever a spy is caught or escapes it goes out of index bounds every once in a while but I am 99.9% certain this is a bacon issue and has nothing to do with retreatUE or the other mods that I compiled. I am running windows 7 however[:'(]
I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by

Non starting can be any file or even a tiny jot or jittle that has been messed up. I've had the entire game not start because the game had problems loading a specific component.png image... All I did was change the image of a component from 120 to number 185...and it COMPLETELY stopped working all together...dead in the water so to speak. Did not start up AT ALL! Like it never loaded...

To know if Bacon is running functionally with your mods all you need to do is install the bacon.exe and main files and load up your original mod (WITHOUT any changes from the baconworld customization folder) to see if it properly loads. If it loads without a hitch then you know it is not bacon that is messing things up. You won't have any added features such as terraforming, the hangar bays or extra mining capacity but it will give you a clue on whether you messed up the files yourself or whether it is a windows issue.

I recommend using notepad++ and the compare plugin to compare the ''original'' DW files to the BaconWorld files to see what has changed and then copying those changes to your own mod files. That's what I did.
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: Glorious Bacon

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.

You're forgetting your improved mining capacity changes...you also need to edit the mining rates in the research components to change their capacity. Just a small note [;)]

I recommend you add an extra readme that lists all the changes that need to be made if you want to integrate it into another mod. It is easy to forget these things and it is doubly more annoying for a person who is completely unfamiliar with your mod and what changes need to be made to make it function.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks Sabranan. I re-installed DW with everything vanilla but still no luck getting the Bacon mod to work. It starts in memory then just becomes a background process. I'll leave it there and check back in from time to time to see if anyone has found a work-around. For the sake of dubugging I'm on Windows 10, dual monitors, Steam version of the game, Steam not in the default location.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

One thing that might be useful is if someone experiencing this issue can run process monitor, filter it for the distant worlds .exe and compare vanilla with bacon. Might give Roger a clue as to what's going on.
Nobody987

Post by Nobody987 »

Hi Das,

try maybe to turn off AV and then run the game.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I started both versions of the game from within the directory with the AV off and made some CSV log files.

Hope these help. I checked them in some comparison software but didn't really see what I should be looking for.

Thanks again for your assistance guys. :)
Attachments
DasProces..torLogs.zip
(52.44 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
lewenhaupt

Post by lewenhaupt »

Hi!

I have noticed a strange AI behavour. The AI empires are trading their colonies too often via diplomacy. (Some colonies changed their owner 4 or 5 times...) I'm using BaconMod with RetreatUE.

Did anyone notice this or this is not mod-related thing?[&:]
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: lewenhaupt

Hi!

I have noticed a strange AI behavour. The AI empires are trading their colonies too often via diplomacy. (Some colonies changed their owner 4 or 5 times...) I'm using BaconMod with RetreatUE.

Did anyone notice this or this is not mod-related thing?[&:]

How often is "too often"? You can turn off "tradeEverything" if you don't want the AI to trade colonies.

Return to “Design and Modding”