[MOD] Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

maitrebongo

[MOD] Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal

Post by maitrebongo »

Guadalcanal_install_01.jpg
Guadalcanal_install_01.jpg (460.46 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

This mod allows to play on your computer the module Guadalcanal of the game Conflict of Heroes using the engine of the game Conflict of Heroes Awakening the Bear.

Given the limitations of the original program and the need to grope to find the way to integrate the new elements to the game: it is therefore a DIY.

Nevertheless, the result seems to me convincing (if one abstracts some elements of the user interface) and allows to play honorably against the artificial intelligence of the game.

You can download it HERE

Important note:

- This Mod can only be played with the Storm of Steel version of the installed game.
Indeed, the game is sold in the form of 3 modules: Awakening the Bear (original module), Storm of Steel (standalone suite) and Ghost Divisions (set of scenarios and maps for previous opus).
Although sold separately, these 3 versions are compatible and complementary to each other.

Due to a bug in the Awakening the Bear game, you can not select units in the Scenario Editor.
The Mods i create can only work with the installed Storrm of Steel version (alone or in addition to Awakening the Bear).
So you must have at least Storm of Steel installed on your computer.

- This Mod can only be played with 2D counters and not with 3D units.
Redrawing the additional units in 3D would be too much work, and honestly, who wants to play this game with the ugly graphics that the 3D option offers?

A respectable wargame is played with hexes and counters. [;)]

- Lots of data from the user interface cannot be modified.
Some elements could not be modified (The launching screens will always be those of Storm of Steel. The Japanese will always be called "the Germans" and the Americans, "the Soviets". The same for the flags of the two countries...). [:(]

How to install the Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal Mod

Since nothing has really been planned to install Mods on this game, it will be necessary to manage by tinkering a little.

2 possible methods:

- Use the Generic Mod Enabler program to replace what needs to be in the original game directory.

- Make a copy of the installation folder and make the necessary changes in it (as if it were an entirely new game).
It is this solution that I recommend because it allows a better organization (especially with the other Mods that will come soon - ASL Mod, Monsters Mod, Modern War Mod...).

Installation procedure

1- Make a copy of the folder where the game is installed, which is normally located in C:\Matrix Games.

2- Rename it (for example: Conflict of Heroes - Guadalcanal).
Now all the manipulations described here will be done in this folder in order to preserve the original one

3- Create a shortcut to your desktop from the autorun.exe file (which is in this folder) ; that will allow you to launch the Mod later

4- Go to the Data directory,
Delete all the contents of the SOS_Units and Units folders

5- Go to the UnitDecals directory
Delete all the contents of the Chits and SOS_Chits folders

6- Download the Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal Mod file and unzip the archive.
You get a folder named Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal MOD

7- Take all the folders contained in GAME and copy them in the directory Conflict of Heroes - Guadalcanal from your fresh copying game folder.
Accept replacing files as requested.

8- Take all the folders contained in MYDOCUMENTS and copy them in the directory MyDocuments\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear.
Accept replacing files as requested.

It is in this directory that extra maps and custom scenarios are stored.
As it is shared by all instances of the game (including those to come), be careful how you name the files you could creat and put it so that it does not turn into chaotic mess.

Order and method are required if you want to create maps and scenarios.

Recommended settings to take full advantage of this Mod:

Some other important remarks:

- You should never try to start a game with one of the original scenarios of the game (since the corresponding units no longer exist: this would cause a crash)

You must use the Additional Firefights menu to start a game

- For the same reasons, do not try to play with 3D units (crash guaranteed)

- For the moment, the Mod contains only one test scenario. I hope that players will make and publish scenarios from this Mod soon. [:)]
Last edited by maitrebongo on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
Alan Sharif

RE: [MOD] Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal

Post by Alan Sharif »

Wow, thanks. Good to see some new life breathed into this game.
A Sharif
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

Wow, thanks. Good to see some new life breathed into this game.

I second that. Thanks a lot, Maitrebongo, for making this available to the forum. [:)] [:)][:)]
Richard
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

I found a way to increase board resolution without creating giant maps (which is impossible without access to the source code of the program).

So I upgraded the Guadalcanal Mod with boards in better resolution which reduces the effect of blur in maximum zoom level.
(The blur effect is almost at same level now as the original giant boards of the game).

I updated the Mod file in the first post.
You can download it again if you want to update your installation.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks, must admit some mods do really blow me away, with what you can do to a given game, many many thanks

[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

Thank you, wait to see the "ASL Project" for this game that I am finalizing ...
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

look forward to more of the same, so will keep looking and watching the thread

[&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks for the upgrade.

And an ASL Mod in the works, too. You are really bringing this game back from the dead! [&o][&o][&o]
Richard
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Thanks! I can't wait to try this out.
berto

Post by berto »

CoH Guadalcanal? Count me in!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Firebri

Re: [MOD] Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal

Post by Firebri »

Any more mods planned ?
chats1012

Re: RE: [MOD] Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal

Post by chats1012 »

maitrebongo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 am Thank you, wait to see the "ASL Project" for this game that I am finalizing ...
Was this Guadalcanal mod taken down? I can't seem to find the link to the download file anywhere.

Thanks.
Marzio

Post by Marzio »

hello chats1012,
Today I had the same problem: my browser didn't read the link... but it's always possible to download it.
Just drag your mouse below the third paragraph of maitrebongo's post (speaking of which- maitrebongo: THANKYOU VERY MUCH for sharing this material. Very good job, much appreciated) : there is an area where the cursor changes from dot to point in which there's downlodable content, and you can go on!
Excuse me for my English: I'm triying to learn it by playing computer wargames ;)
Marzio
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

Here's the link

http://wargameinfrance.free.fr/CoH/Conf ... al-MOD.zip

Sorry but the "new" Matrix Forum had deleted a huge amount of all things i posted during years and i don't want to spend too much energy to redone all the links that are missing now.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”