Any way to improve accuracy for SAMs?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

fatgreta1066

Any way to improve accuracy for SAMs?

Post by fatgreta1066 »

I'm playing One Ship One Country, and whenever I send F-35's with AMRAAMs in, I can't seem to kill many enemies. On average, I get one kill for 8 missiles fired. I've tried messing with the range to target when I release, have had some shots where I was behind the enemy who didn't yet know I was there, but the missiles usually miss. Is there anything I can do in the game to improve my odds? If I just send the planes on a mission and the computer handles it I get 0 kills, every time.
Cik

RE: Any way to improve accuracy for SAMs?

Post by Cik »

AMRAAMs are air-air missiles btw, not surface-air missiles.

if you are really firing against non-maneuvering targets and missing, well, uh. i don't really know why that would occur.

if handled by the AI and depending on target i usually get at least a kill every fourth missile, and sometimes more like a kill every second missile. it's adjusted based on target agility so much of it depends on what you are shooting at. a helpful thing to do if you want better advice is to at least list:

launching platform range (range to target)
target A/C
target altitude
target aspect
specific AMRAAM you are using (A/B/C/D)

otherwise a video is probably needed.

also post the log output, the formula would probably help.
JCM3000

Post by JCM3000 »

I've found that most AAW missiles are far less effective at max range than they are at 60% of max range or less. So depending on the level of opponent I often set WRA to restrict automatic firing until a much closer range.

Bear in mind though that when facing top tier opponents with modern AAW weapons of their own (AA-12 or PL-12) this restriction may backfire in that they fire first which probably puts you at a distinct disadvantage. One solution to this that I've used is to restrict automatic firing to 1 missile per target, even for 4th gen & 5th gen fighters. This allows your side to fire one volley at max range but preserves missiles for a second volley at much shorter range for targets that get missed by the first volley. This will hopefully out your opponents on the defensive and restrict they're ability to counter fire.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Just some good background threads on AAM combat in Command

tm.asp?m=3643505&mpage=1&key=bvr&#3643780

tm.asp?m=3434235&mpage=1&key=BVR�

If you search BVR, there are bunch of interesting threads.

fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Yes, of course, AAMs. Here are screenshots of an engagement, and this one gets the best results I've had yet, probably because the first 2 shots are manually launched from what I think is a pretty ideal vantage.

Attachments
AMRAAMAttack1.jpg
AMRAAMAttack1.jpg (548.31 KiB) Viewed 95 times
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

2nd screenshot

Attachments
AMRAAMAttack2.jpg
AMRAAMAttack2.jpg (527.04 KiB) Viewed 94 times
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

3rd

Attachments
AMRAAM Attack 3.jpg
AMRAAM Attack 3.jpg (534.6 KiB) Viewed 94 times
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

4th

Attachments
AMRAAM Attack 4.jpg
AMRAAM Attack 4.jpg (544.88 KiB) Viewed 94 times
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

5th (last one)

Attachments
AMRAAMAttack5.jpg
AMRAAMAttack5.jpg (546.81 KiB) Viewed 94 times
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

So the first engagement, they pretty clearly hadn't detected me and I got a couple of pretty close in shots off at the enemy tailpipes, but I launched them manually. I wish I'd let the AI keep control and seen how they handled the attack.

The AI then handled the second attack on the F-16C's, and splashed them. By then I was being shot at so must have been detected.

I'm guessing that it was my Cadet proficiency that led to the double shoot down of my aircraft, most likely?

I was flying this mission with sensors off, hoping that my stealth technology would have saved the day. Should I have turned them on as soon as I was shot at?

So this doesn't represent the original post very well, but I went through the trouble of making the pics so I figured I'd post them.

As a separate issue, is there any way to know when I've been detected by radar? How effective the stealth technology is working? All my loadouts here are internal only, which I believe makes me much harder to detect?
Cik

Post by Cik »

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

So the first engagement, they pretty clearly hadn't detected me and I got a couple of pretty close in shots off at the enemy tailpipes, but I launched them manually. I wish I'd let the AI keep control and seen how they handled the attack.

they would attack at the range dictated by WRA. you'll probably gain some efficacy by launching manually here, at least at first.

The AI then handled the second attack on the F-16C's, and splashed them. By then I was being shot at so must have been detected.

yes, probably. generally once they detect missiles coming from you they'll know roughly where you are.

I'm guessing that it was my Cadet proficiency that led to the double shoot down of my aircraft, most likely?

IIRC cadet cuts your maneuverability modifier (what you use to dodge missiles) in half. the F-35 already kind of suffers in this regard, so having half of what you usually have is not a good picture. if i were to suggest a strategy, i'd say fire everything you have and then split ASAP. ending up defensive with cadet planes means you're dead.

I was flying this mission with sensors off, hoping that my stealth technology would have saved the day. Should I have turned them on as soon as I was shot at?

nah. it'll just give them a better idea of where you are. turn on OECM maybe, if your plane has it. but if you have good tracks on the bandits you have no reason to turn on radars really.
So this doesn't represent the original post very well, but I went through the trouble of making the pics so I figured I'd post them.

As a separate issue, is there any way to know when I've been detected by radar? How effective the stealth technology is working? All my loadouts here are internal only, which I believe makes me much harder to detect?

it does. you should be able to get <20nm or so as long as you stay front aspect. granted you should probably assume you will be detected as soon as you launch.

launch & leave is best strategy here. empty your magazine and then bail at AB out of the combat zone.

ever having fire returned at you is recipe for disaster (more than usual) due to cadet. if you look at the last picture, the AMRAAM attacking you is rolling 85% which is an unacceptable gamble. i shy away from anything over 20% or so usually. the lower, the better.
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Great feedback, thanks again Cik.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

As has already has been mentioned, the F-35 was not designed as a dogfighter, it can do it, but once heat seekers are flying everybody starts dying, including your ultra stealthy F-35's. My general rule fighting the F-35 against modern opponents is to launch everything at long/medium long range. After firing, switch on your radar to update your AMRAAM's through their datalink and slow down to loiter speed while your missiles are inbound. This will cause your missiles to loose the lease amount of energy correcting for (external) intermediate radar returns on their target and lets you keep the range to your opponent as long as possible. After your missiles have impacted, turn and burn.

This should give you a PK of about 0.5 per missile against those pesky F-15's. After this, its just a matter of rinse and repeat until they are all dead, without suffering a single loss yourself....

W.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

As has already has been mentioned, the F-35 was not designed as a dogfighter, it can do it, but once heat seekers are flying everybody starts dying, including your ultra stealthy F-35's. My general rule fighting the F-35 against modern opponents is to launch everything at long/medium long range. After firing, switch on your radar to update your AMRAAM's through their datalink and slow down to loiter speed while your missiles are inbound. This will cause your missiles to loose the lease amount of energy correcting for (external) intermediate radar returns on their target and lets you keep the range to your opponent as long as possible. After your missiles have impacted, turn and burn.

This should give you a PK of about 0.5 per missile against those pesky F-15's. After this, its just a matter of rinse and repeat until they are all dead, without suffering a single loss yourself....

W.

Hey Willie2; if you got time; WIPT is ready; just put the house rules; but the aircratf On; what the AI gives you; upgrade the path of the planes; if not hellcats, corsairs but LIGHTINGS will overrun my Industry.

SALUT.

Epsilon Eridani

fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Thanks Wild Willie.
rmunie0613

Post by rmunie0613 »

One thing that also helps is staggering the fire a bit... fire one, then another a few seconds behind it. The defender will use a lot of his agility to evade the first shot, and will not have the energy to defeat the second one, usually for at least a few seconds. The maneuvering under "engaged defensive" uses up a great deal of the aircraft's energy in the trade of potential to kinetic energy...it takes a few seconds to rebuild their "position" to beat the next shot.
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

for my understanding this is how CMANO decide if it is a hit or a miss:

Final PH = Weapon Base PH- max{distance adjustment; target speed adjustment<1>} – [A/C Agility at current Altitude x Proficiency coefficient<2> x Weight adjustment coefficient x (1-damage%) x impact location coefficient] – Sea skimmer modifier

<1>. Since 1.13 target speed no longer plays a role in PoH calculation except for slow speed SPSAM
<2>. Ace = ? , Veteran = 1, Regular = 0.8, Cadet = 0.5

in your case, it is a close range engagement, AIM-120 still have a lot of energy so you don't see any decrease on it's PoH. F-35's base agility 4.5 is as good as a F-15/Su-27 but not as good as F-22, so please do not expect too much miracle.
Cadet proficiency and hit on tail are another two factors reduce the survivability.

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
Luckschaden

Post by Luckschaden »

ORIGINAL: KungPao

for my understanding this is how CMANO decide if it is a hit or a miss:

Final PH = Weapon Base PH- max{distance adjustment; target speed adjustment<1>} – [A/C Agility at current Altitude x Proficiency coefficient<2> x Weight adjustment coefficient x (1-damage%) x impact location coefficient] – Sea skimmer modifier

<1>. Since 1.13 target speed no longer plays a role in PoH calculation except for slow speed SPSAM
<2>. Ace = ? , Veteran = 1, Regular = 0.8, Cadet = 0.5

in your case, it is a close range engagement, AIM-120 still have a lot of energy so you don't see any decrease on it's PoH. F-35's base agility 4.5 is as good as a F-15/Su-27 but not as good as F-22, so please do not expect too much miracle.
Cadet proficiency and hit on tail are another two factors reduce the survivability.

Is it really that "simple"? My understanding was that the engine does more realistic calculations under the hood but doesn't tell non PE users about it. I thought things like afterburners making an aircraft more visibile to IR missiles, for instance, would be modeled.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Luckschaden
ORIGINAL: KungPao

Is it really that "simple"? My understanding was that the engine does more realistic calculations under the hood but doesn't tell non PE users about it. I thought things like afterburners making an aircraft more visibile to IR missiles, for instance, would be modeled.

No, it's not that simple. Some people try too hard to shoehorn Command into their Excel spreadsheets instead of playing the goddamn game.

The sequence that KungPao describes is just the kinematic evasion step, which is the very, very last step in the entire engagement chain.

Before that you have the actual detections, both for the weapon carrier and the weapon itself, in pre-launch checks and afterwards in mid-course guidance (this is where the afterburner-IR stuff you mentioned comes into play). OECM is also effective here as it can break lock in mid-course (e.g. interrupt SARH illumination).

Then (if the weapon actually reaches the target) you have the endgame phase with the target then first attempting to use DECM, then expendable decoys / chaff / flares as appropriate.

Then, if nothing else works, you have the kinematic evasion.

And yes, there is a lot of stuff going on that the message log doesn't tell you about. You want to see e.g. the raw surface clutter calculations? It's enough of an info-waterfall as it is already.

Just play the game.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

As a separate issue, is there any way to know when I've been detected by radar?

Enemies come towards you and start shooting at you. Usually that's a pretty reliable indicator.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”