OT - how cold is it ....

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

RE: OT - how cold is it ....

Post by ny59giants »

As a native of Vermont and upstate New York, I'm still bothered by how the South deals with even a trace of real winter. I've been in South since '92, so I've grown soft. [;)]

However, today it will be in mid-20s with wind chill down to near 0 degrees F. There is also a dusting of snow. Thus, local schools here in NE Tennessee are closing after just two hours of school today. I think America is getting too wimpy when it comes to dealing with cold weather.
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

As a native of Vermont and upstate New York, I'm still bothered by how the South deals with even a trace of real winter. I've been in South since '92, so I've grown soft. [;)]

However, today it will be in mid-20s with wind chill down to near 0 degrees F. There is also a dusting of snow. Thus, local schools here in NE Tennessee are closing after just two hours of school today. I think America is getting too wimpy when it comes to dealing with cold weather.
I have some sympathy for the poor who may not have warm coats for their children to wear to school. But I wonder if the schools themselves have good enough heating plants to keep the whole thing warm enough to sit still in? They are probably built with good insulation because they need it to keep the heat out in the summer.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

too cold for hockey - never thought I would hear that!
AndriahBlashkovich

Post by AndriahBlashkovich »

mediterranean coast here, so not freezing, just horribly depressing :|
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

NE is getting a big storm today. 12 to 18 inches. If that happened here in Ohio, it would be lights out....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well we got hit with about 16" of snow in my neck of Long Island. Weather service off by a factor of x2. Still well below freezing, Monday looks like the first day it'll be above since Christmas. About two straight weeks, gotta be close to a record. Like I said I like it though (I'm a freak), well except for the heating bill.[:)] Hey, you can't have everything.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

from Wiki

A skate can glide over ice because there is a layer of ice molecules at the surface that are not as tightly bound as the molecules of the mass of ice beneath. These molecules are in a semiliquid state, providing lubrication. The molecules in this "quasi-fluid" or "water-like" layer are less mobile than liquid water, but are much more mobile than the molecules deeper in the ice. At about −250 °F (−157 °C) the slippery layer is one molecule thick; as the temperature increases the slippery layer becomes thicker.

It had long been believed that ice is slippery because the pressure of an object in contact with it causes a thin layer to melt. The hypothesis was that the blade of an ice skate, exerting pressure on the ice, melts a thin layer, providing lubrication between the ice and the blade. This explanation, called "pressure melting", originated in the 19th century. This, however, did not account for skating on ice temperatures lower than −3.5 °C, whereas skaters often skate on lower-temperature ice. In the 20th century, an alternative explanation, called "friction heating", was proposed, whereby friction of the material was causing the ice layer melting. However, this theory also failed to explain skating at low temperature. In fact, neither explanation explained why ice is slippery when standing still even at below-zero temperatures.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Well we got hit with about 16" of snow in my neck of Long Island. Weather service off by a factor of x2. Still well below freezing, Monday looks like the first day it'll be above since Christmas. About two straight weeks, gotta be close to a record. Like I said I like it though (I'm a freak), well except for the heating bill.[:)] Hey, you can't have everything.
Well come on up here then! Temp went below freezing around the end of November ( and a few times before that but just for a couple of days) and we expect to get back above freezing in about mid-March.

And they wonder why we get "cabin fever" after a few months of that! Reminds me of the time I was on a C-130 delivering supplies to Alert (northernmost permanently occupied base in the world). We landed in the dark just before noon. As we were unloading the ground crew suddenly stopped and all faced south to see the first hint of daylight on the horizon (sun was still below the horizon). They hadn't seen the sun for several months so no one complained about the work stoppage until the light faded away again about fifteen minutes later!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well come on up here then! Temp went below freezing around the end of November

No that's OK, you may keep your frozen tundra. I like the cold, but a few days above freezing this time of year are welcome.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

Made it to 23 (above)up here in Albany today. I think back to zero tonight, and that will be our high on Saturday. Still hitting negatives at night.

Not bad. I remember one year in the late 1970's where it went below zero (F, not C) every day in February. Different year, it never BROKE freezing (from below) in February.

I was living in Troy (right across the river) at the time.
Bill Goin
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Made it to 23 (above)up here in Albany today. I think back to zero tonight, and that will be our high on Saturday. Still hitting negatives at night.

Not bad. I remember one year in the late 1970's where it went below zero (F, not C) every day in February. Different year, it never BROKE freezing (from below) in February.

That was the winter of 76-77. The Delaware river froze over.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

That was the winter of 76-77.

Spent that one in Korea. Next year though, while in Massachusetts, they set a record for continuous snow cover. Don't know if that still stands.

wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: wegman58

That was the winter of 76-77. The Delaware river froze over.

BRUTAL winter - my freshman year in college. The folks from Buffalo came home with pictures (REAL pictures - with that F I L M stuff) of houses with snow drifts up to the eaves.
Bill Goin
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Well for all the wussies on here....minus 40 degrees plus 10 degrees of wind chill this morning. It's so cold the moose are falling outa the trees! In northern Alberta it's business as usual.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

And we are expecting close to 110degF (43degC) for Saturday.

Want to swap.

I'm used to that. It's these single digit temps we're having I can live without. I'll take that 110F any day.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Attachments
morning.jpg
morning.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 83 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

from Wiki

A skate can glide over ice because there is a layer of ice molecules at the surface that are not as tightly bound as the molecules of the mass of ice beneath. These molecules are in a semiliquid state, providing lubrication. The molecules in this "quasi-fluid" or "water-like" layer are less mobile than liquid water, but are much more mobile than the molecules deeper in the ice. At about −250 °F (−157 °C) the slippery layer is one molecule thick; as the temperature increases the slippery layer becomes thicker.

It had long been believed that ice is slippery because the pressure of an object in contact with it causes a thin layer to melt. The hypothesis was that the blade of an ice skate, exerting pressure on the ice, melts a thin layer, providing lubrication between the ice and the blade. This explanation, called "pressure melting", originated in the 19th century. This, however, did not account for skating on ice temperatures lower than −3.5 °C, whereas skaters often skate on lower-temperature ice. In the 20th century, an alternative explanation, called "friction heating", was proposed, whereby friction of the material was causing the ice layer melting. However, this theory also failed to explain skating at low temperature. In fact, neither explanation explained why ice is slippery when standing still even at below-zero temperatures.

Another thing is water has one of the highest surface tensions of any liquid which would work against these theories.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Back in 2004 we had an extremely cold snowstorm (our first winter in the Portland area). We had a couple of inches of snow followed by an inch of freezing rain, followed by another freeze. When the weather finally cleared enough to get out I ran into a woman in the post office who remembered an even worse storm when she was a kid in the 1930s. The Columbia River froze over and she remembers driving across the river in a Model A.

The river is up to 2 miles across, that's pretty impressive.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”