Security Divisons

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

pbcrnk

Security Divisons

Post by pbcrnk »

Noob just jumping into this monster. What are the purpose of Security Divisions and do the have any special purpose to the game....ie partisan control and such. Trying to figure out how to use them.
lowsugar

RE: Security Divisons

Post by lowsugar »

Use them as garisons. 1 regiment in city, 2 in light urban, 3 in heavy urban. Shift +k will show you garison requirements - red is bad, yellow not so bad, blue ok.
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

So break them down? Being spread out will there be an issue with the corps hq being more than 5 hexes away from them?
lowsugar

Post by lowsugar »

They will not fight so not really. Before you break them down you may assign them to OKH so they will not take command points in the army group to which they belong.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: pbcrnk

So break them down? Being spread out will there be an issue with the corps hq being more than 5 hexes away from them?

Also there was a change in one of the versions to make them pick up supply like an HQ in their own right

If they sit still in a garrison - no movement or combat - their supply needs will be minimal anyway. And if they are on a rail line they will be more than fine.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

Thanks guys
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

on this topic, I recently realized that a fortified zone in a city counts as garrison, at least the game thinks so. I wonder if others are using this to boost their garrisons that are under 100%?
- Mark
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: uw06670

on this topic, I recently realized that a fortified zone in a city counts as garrison, at least the game thinks so. I wonder if others are using this to boost their garrisons that are under 100%?

Fortified zones are 2000 manpower for 4 AP’s. So the fact they count for garrisoning is not surprising. I’m not sure about the cost benefits strictly in that role.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

Yeah, but I am wasting combat regiments (not just security guys) in cities to try and tame the partisan menace. so nice that there is another option. I'm in summer of 42 and have Admin points to spare.
- Mark
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

I am just into the "Road to" scenarios now so probably won't have to deal with partisans yet but in the full scenario do they pop up alot? What effects do they have? Best ways to deny/deal with them?
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Partisans can pop up from various ways and understrengthed garrison requirements is a big one if not managed properly

When partisans activate after being supplied sufficiently with men and arms they can blow up your rail lines so in 41 if you have single rail lines to supply whole theatres it can stop your units getting there much needed resources and effectively stops the tanks most of all from going on the offensive for a few turns until the rail is fixed

Stef and Stelteck have an AAR going at the moment and that happens in their game in 1941 if you want to see you effects properly then I would give that a look [:)]
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: uw06670

Worth noting there was a rule change so that security regiments get a ten percent boost to garrisoning compared to what the manual says - so security regiments of less than 2000 men can garrison a city.

Making a fort with 2000 troops (not security) would only provide half of the garrison of a city - so you would still need another unit there to fully garrison it.

The biggest mistake I see often is no forward plan in how you garrison - meaning the nearest combat unit has to do it; usually one of your best German combat divisions. If you plan ahead you can cover cities North of the marshes with all your German security and use your less useful allies and brigades to garrison south of the line. Finnish coastal brigades can also be used near Leningrad or Talinn. Many of the Rumanian units start with morale below even their national morale - so time to build up their morale behind enemy lines is also useful to make them better.

Whatever happens if you do want to fully garrison you have to accept the security regiments when broken down will not do it alone. Plan ahead which combat units you are going to use for garrisons and use them - not your nearest best combat units.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”