OT: Letters from Iwo Jima

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

OT: Letters from Iwo Jima

Post by Chris21wen »

Just read a review on the film. Anybody seen it and is it as good as the review says it is?
Kursk1943

RE: OT: Letters from Iwo Jima

Post by Kursk1943 »

Saw both films (Flags of our fathers and...) when they came out few years ago. Liked letters from Iwo Jima a lot better. Bought it as Blue Ray few weeks ago. Other than flags of our fathers it's focused mainly on the battle and impressively shows how the Japs prepared for the battle, their command and control problems (bushido spirit), the grunt's views and the conditions the Japs were fighting under (caves...). I can really recommend it. I've seen a lot of films about PacWar, but that's my favourite!
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

Just read a review on the film. Anybody seen it and is it as good as the review says it is?

I watched both movies:

"Flags of our Fathers"
"Letters from Iwo Jima"

one after another when they become available for home viewing.

I like them both and I recommend them both (and watch them one after another)! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
obvert

Post by obvert »

Stil want to watch these. Might have to wait for a lazy Saturday when my spouse is out for a long lunch or something! [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Stil want to watch these. Might have to wait for a lazy Saturday when my spouse is out for a long lunch or something! [;)]
My wife is still working, so I got lots of afternoons to watch all the films she doesn't like - and that's a great many![;)]
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

Watched it and was really impressed. Also found it interesting that the movie was more successful in Japan, than the US. It's a rare achievement for a western movie to give to take Japanes point of view that was perceived as fair, well researched, and not stereotypical by critics and the audiences in Japan.

Well worth watching it!
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I found letters to be far better. It made it much easier to identify with the IJA soldier. I thought the American perspective
was "distant".
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I found letters to be far better. It made it much easier to identify with the IJA soldier. I thought the American perspective
was "distant".

Ditto
Hans

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yeah, I didn't like Flags, but Letters from Iwo Jima is in my top 20 list of war movies. Maybe top 10.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

was "distant".

Ditto
Yeah. I have trouble quantifying the 'distant' description but feel like I agree with it. Flags is a good movie even though I found it difficult to watch. It was disturbing, and I learned it was so very deliberately. Apologies if I get this quotation slightly wrong: Clint Eastwood was asked about certain aspects of the movie and replied "we owe it to our heroes to see them as they really are". I think Letters is about seeing those heroes through the eyes of adults instead of seeing them through mythic distortion. Flags of our Fathers is important and you should watch it.

Letters was simply excellent in all respects.

I strongly recommend you watch both, first Flags of our Fathers then Letters from Iwo Jima because when you watch Letters you will see the opposite side of certain scenes which makes a very powerful connection.
spence

Post by spence »

Yeah. I have trouble quantifying the 'distant' description but feel like I agree with it. Flags is a good movie even though I found it difficult to watch. It was disturbing, and I learned it was so very deliberately. Apologies if I get this quotation slightly wrong: Clint Eastwood was asked about certain aspects of the movie and replied "we owe it to our heroes to see them as they really are". I think Letters is about seeing those heroes through the eyes of adults instead of seeing them through mythic distortion. Flags of our Fathers is important and you should watch it.

Letters was simply excellent in all respects.

I strongly recommend you watch both, first Flags of our Fathers then Letters from Iwo Jima because when you watch Letters you will see the opposite side of certain scenes which makes a very powerful connection.

+1 in all respects. Saw both, liked both but enjoyed "Letters" as a movie more.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Haven't seen the Flags, but Letters from Iwo Jima was outstanding, highly recommend
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Seems I've missed out. Must try harder.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I read the book "Flags of our Fathers" some years before the movie came out. Good book, but definitely a narrow focus on a handful of men associated with the second flag rising on Suribachi. With that background in mind, the movie was true to the book and I thought it well done.

I also saw "Letters from Iwo Jima" when it came out. Very well done in its own right. Some of the Japanese characters were 'overacted', but this is a quibble. The novelty of the perspective (from the IJA soldier's POV) was enough to recommend this strongly.

Clint Eastwood did a bang-up job directing both of these films.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I saw and liked both. I preferred 'Letters' mainly because it presented a point of view that was unique to
Hollywood.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

By coincidence - the German and French forumites can watch "Letters from Iwo Jima" this evening on the French-German network ARTE at 20:15h.

Edit: Darn, "Flags of our fathers" was on ARTE yesterday and I missed the announcement. But well, repeat on Thursday night at 00:15h
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Sands of Iwo Jima is on our's.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”