What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So I finished The Vietnam War and it remained a quality production throughout the 10 episodes I'm pleased to say. I felt it was very even handed in its treatment and the numbers interviewed from all sides. I would thoroughly recommend this.

I didn't realise just how 'bad' Richard Nixon was, I mean really, what a twat [X(]

Right, let's give Gunpowder a go....
I finally caught up on The Vietnam War documentary. It was nice enough and could have been twice as long. 10 episodes at 50+ minutes felt to short for this subject. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

The international version was 10 one hour episodes. The full version, available on Public Broadcasting in America, was 10 episodes over 18 hours. I saw a few of the longer versions, and enjoyed them more, as I felt the extra time rounded out each episode better.

But to be fair, a lot of the extra time was concerned with telling the story of how the war impacted on individuals. While that my not have been so interesting to an international audience, I would have preferred to have the longer episodes, given a choice.

Still, it was an outstanding series and encouraged me to watch other documentaries Ken Burns has made, particularly the American Civil War.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I just watched I, Tonya...it was pretty awesome!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Just re-watched "Ice Cold in Alex"

I had forgotten what a good adventure film it was.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: redcoat
Doctor Who came sixth in the Christmas Day TV ratings. The Queen came first again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42484128

For a moment I thought that with "The Queen" you meant the Netflix series [:D]

Anyway, there is an involuntary funny op-ed down the page:

"Analysis: Why the Queen's ratings reign may not last..."

Of course that Queen Elizabeth II is 185 years old or so isn't considered as a reason... [8|]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Just watched Darkest Hour. A very good film - albeit with some liberty taking with the facts as always.

The set was perfect, the script was very good and the cast was of the highest quality imaginable. If Gary Oldman doesn't win an Oscar then the whole thing is cobblers. The support cast were very much in his shadow but did their jobs admirably - Kristin Scott Thomas as his wife, Cinderella was his assistant and Stannis Baratheon played Halifax very well (best supporting actor nominee at least surely).

Excellent and recommended.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Britannia on HBO. Series on its own is good, why they went the fantasy way I do not understand however.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Britannia on HBO. Series on its own is good, why they went the fantasy way I do not understand however.
warspite1

Not sure about this so I've recorded it to watch over the weekend. Hoping its a good one.....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Not sure about this so I've recorded it to watch over the weekend. Hoping its a good one.....
warspite1

Well I watched it. Not massively impressed but then it was okay - and only episode 1 = and it deserves more of a chance than that. I'll defo tune into episode 2.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Just begun re-watching The West Wing.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
terje439

Post by terje439 »

warspite1

warspite1

Well I watched it. Not massively impressed but then it was okay - and only episode 1 = and it deserves more of a chance than that. I'll defo tune into episode 2.

The show is not bad, but to me it would have been better if they had not gone so far with the druids. No need to make them like they did, also not a huge fan of how the Roman soldiers appears like supermen compared to those they are up against.
Sure, the Roman Kohorts were good fighting formations, but in this show I feel the individual Roman soldier comes off as too superior compared to the British tribesmen.

The acting performances are varied, some really good ones, some meh. Budget wise it seems to have been given a proper one.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Off to see Disney Pixar's Coco at the weekend - has positive reviews - so after the disappointment of The Good Dinosaur, hopefully this is a welcome return to form for the stable.

Attachments
Coco-03.jpg
Coco-03.jpg (257.63 KiB) Viewed 85 times

Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

Godless
Broadchurch Season 2
Midnight Sun (Swedish) Highly Recommended.
X-Files Season 11 (for old time sake)
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

[quoteORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

The show is not bad, but to me it would have been better if they had not gone so far with the druids. No need to make them like they did, also not a huge fan of how the Roman soldiers appears like supermen compared to those they are up against.
Sure, the Roman Kohorts were good fighting formations, but in this show I feel the individual Roman soldier comes off as too superior compared to the British tribesmen.

The acting performances are varied, some really good ones, some meh. Budget wise it seems to have been given a proper one.
][/quote]

I just watched Britannia - I see what you mean. Very odd - I must admit I was hoping for something a little more historical like the series "Rome". But that bit with Caesar turning tail because of the druids is stretching the truth more than a little. AS for Roman "super soldiers" well I guess that was to offset the storyline of magical druids. After all we know how the story ends- Britain becomes a Roman province and Aulus its first governor.
luckyjack

Post by luckyjack »

I'm watching Westworld and Mr. Robot
both awesome
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Sadly I lasted about 5 minutes in of episode 2 and decided this is not for me. The last straw was The Hound/Arya road trip..... [8|]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The King's Choice about King Haakon's refusal to accept the government of Quisling in April 1940. A pretty good film, but a little slow.

RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I just finished Altered Carbon, on Netflix. The visuals are breathtaking (they basically robbed Blade Runner and its sequel, with a budget worth of a movie). The story, however, is a bit 'meh'. I felt that they could do much more with the starting material; instead, after around the fourth episode they started meandering. The show's plot has a resolution, but of the "Let's decide who did what" kind - not as the logical result of the events as presented.

The San Francisco "a la Blade Runner", however, is worth every frame - from the gutters to the impossibly tall skyscrapers.

Now I think I'll watch "Dark": many friends recommended it.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
fritzjoel

Post by fritzjoel »

Ken Burns Vietnam
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Baywatch. It was okay - but could have been better.

Return to “General Discussion”