Minor Qs: Factory abbreviations; strategic bombing twice?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Grotius

Minor Qs: Factory abbreviations; strategic bombing twice?

Post by Grotius »

Hi all. Two minor questions:

1. On the yellow/ochre info box on the Main Form (the one for ports, resources, factories), when I mouseover a hex with three working factories, the Form says "Fact: 3". By contrast, a hex with a dormant factory says "Fact: 1(1C)." After I strategically bombed Lille, it reads "Fact: 3(2C,1L). I gather this means two (blue) factories are idle, and one (red-factory) production point is Lost this turn? I'm curious what the C and L stand for, exactly. Can't find it in the manual. I know it's a minor thing, but it's bugging me! Are there other abbreviations for factories in hexes?

2. Also, does the game do anything to prevent me from accidentally strategically-bombing Lille twice in the same turn? I know the Production planning form (CTL P) now lists Lille as having lost a Production point, and there's that little "L" in the Main Form. Maybe that's enough, but I did notice a player accidentally bomb the same hex twice in the same turn in an AAR last year. Is that still possible?
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Minor Qs: Factory abbreviations; strategic bombing twice?

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

If a blue factory is captured (controlled by the other side) then a C is shown.

If a red factory is controlled by the other side and not yet repaired, a D is shown.

If a factory has been strategically bombed and lost a production point, an L is shown.

Fact: 3(2D, 1L) could be Lille, controlled by the Germans, red factory repaired, 1 production point lost due to strategic bombing.

The program shouldn't (I haven't checked this) cause a second production point to be lost unless there are 2 factories in the hex capable of functioning. In the case of a German controlled Lille, that isn't possible.

You might be permitted to fly a strategic bombing mission to a hex that has lost a production point because you might still cause a factory to be damaged - which is different that simply losing a production point for 1 turn.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
If a red factory is controlled by the other side and not yet repaired, a D is shown.

If a factory has been strategically bombed and lost a production point, an L is shown.

Fact: 3(2D, 1L) could be Lille, controlled by the Germans, red factory repaired, 1 production point lost due to strategic bombing.
I don't follow. If there's one red factory, what does the '2D' mean? Could it be a D for any damaged factory? 2 blue damaged, one red was functioning but was strat bombed?
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

In Lille there are 2 blue and 1 red factory. It looks like the blue factories have been destroyed (D) by the occupying German forces and the red factory was bombed and the build point was lost (L)...
Peter

Return to “World in Flames”