Steam release

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
ivanov

Steam release

Post by ivanov »

Are there any plans to release this game on Steam?

Thanks
Lest we forget.
Saint Ruth

RE: Steam release

Post by Saint Ruth »

No plans at the moment!
One thing at a time!
Thanks,
Brian
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

OK, thank, I hope it will happen eventually.
Lest we forget.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Certainly, I agree......so much less of a hassle than dealing with Matrix or Silverine etc.....I like turn key operation :)
Guess I'm getting old.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Releasing the game through Steam is a must. It might even be a show stopper for me whether I buy or not.

Addendum; I just saw that to get a disk for the game it will cost an extra $15 for a total of $55. I've had trouble with my PC dying and having to reload games. Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games. So if there is no Steam release then no way will I buy!
Capt. Cliff
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games.

same company as slitherine, both which have longer and better support than steam imo.

steam is a good marketplace, and for ease of use it's good, but forums are poor and support can come down to the makers of the game in question, as steam doesn't support games, only the backbone, it can't update game, bugfix or sort out any issues with mostly any of it's games, without first going to the makers, if they are still going etc, support here is for years after purchase, and all patches are inclusive, meaning you only ever need to keep one, not all.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

steam is a good marketplace, and for ease of use it's good, but forums are poor and support can come down to the makers of the game in question, as steam doesn't support games, only the backbone, it can't update game, bugfix or sort out any issues with mostly any of it's games, without first going to the makers, if they are still going etc, support here is for years after purchase, and all patches are inclusive, meaning you only ever need to keep one, not all.

Obviously the game devs update and fix their games, but if the game is on Steam, then the update takes place automatically. The users don't have to worry if they have the latest version or to follow the forums ( not everyone's thing ) to know what's the current state of the game. I also like Steam because I have all the games in one place and I don't even have to have them all installed on the computer, to keep them in Steam library. This is a huge benefit, because if you change your machine, you don't need to worry about all the installers and key numbers. I was initially sceptical about Steam but now I can't live without it. I understand that probably Steam may not offer the best deals to the dev companies, but I think that thanks to it, the games get exposed to new audiences, which are not as dumb as you may think. The hardcore wargames like War in the East or Red Storm have pretty good reviews written by the Steam users.

For the moment I'm going to pass on Desert War, not that it doesn't look impressive, but I have a huge backlog of games in my Steam library [;)] Hopefully sooner or later DW will appear on Steam and then it will be an instant buy for me.

Lest we forget.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I am a big Steam fan, but would not base a purchasing decision on some of the really good (imo) Matrix games. I did lose my computer and found it quite easy to get all my exe's in the Members Area and put things back together again. And yes, with some games, dlc, and patches it is more work than Steam. Steam is no work at all.

They will probably get it on there all updated and maybe a discount for Capt Cliff and others at some point!
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

If its not on steam I simply do not buy it.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Releasing the game through Steam is a must. It might even be a show stopper for me whether I buy or not.

Addendum; I just saw that to get a disk for the game it will cost an extra $15 for a total of $55. I've had trouble with my PC dying and having to reload games. Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games. So if there is no Steam release then no way will I buy!

If it's just the convenience of having a CD for reloading game after computer dies, the way Matrix is set up to automatically provide members with downloads for their registered games, you really don't need to buy, or make your own CDs anymore.

Nothing against Steam of course, just wanted to make sure you knew that Matrix delivery system has improved to the point that you don't even have to contact Support for re-downloads for most games you buy now.

Thanks
Rick
DerGrenadier

Post by DerGrenadier »

No Steam, no buy for me.
[center]Image
[center]

ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

I would have to agree again with you Cpt. I had up to 36 passwords for gaming sites/programs. Love Steam now. Click and play. No hassles no searching for serial codes or updates.

Yep, no steam no buy.....my 2018 resolution....
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
JWW

Post by JWW »

I love Steam, but I always buy Matrix games direct from Matrix, Steam or not, to support Matrix. When a Matrix game I have comes out on Steam, I immediately activate it on Steam. But I also like the fact that I get an actual digital copy of the game from Matrix. I keep all the installation files and serial numbers of all my Matrix games on a portable hard drive and in the cloud. If something ever happens to Steam -- a remote possibility but possible; or to Matrix -- I will still have my files and my games. It works for me. I'm not saying it is the best way to do things. A lot about gaming comes down to personal preference when all the back and forth is done. The Steam forums, for example, are filled with threads many pages long containing vicious arguments about things that come down to nothing more than personal preference. But it works for me. So I'm just offering my opinion, not saying anyone is wrong.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

If you don't want Steam to update a game, you have a Matrix version. Some games have been almost ruined by patches and not all devs allow you to roll back via Steam. This has never happened (ever) with Matrix to my knowledge. Their patches are pretty solid, so only a minor advantage here.

And as we all know, major patches on Steam typically make key Workshop mods incompatible overnight. Unless the modder is very diligent or you can roll back, it can be a game-breaker.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

From the Developer perspective, the patches made for a game are basically the same. The only difference is how the player gets them. Steam is nice in that it does the unzipping of files automatically and the user does not need to be tech savvy in any way. The Matrix front end update should do the same thing if it can download from the FTP site and not trip over your AV program. In my case, this works 1 in 20 if I'm lucky. Matrix also gives you the Member area and you can download the updates and manually install. That's also pretty straightforward as well. The only time it can be a bit complicated, is if you download a zip file and have to extract it to the correct folder. In today's world that might be out of the skill set of young users or older users new to computer games. With many options, choose what works for you.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Granicus

Post by Granicus »

Steam is a major gating factor for me. I own dozens of games, go through multiple computers, and am a stickler about having everything patched. Plus it serves as a central point for news and reviews, which helps me evaluate the games, and choose whether to get expansions, etc.

Login IDs and passwords is another issue. Turns out I do have a Slitherine/Matrix ID already created (which means I bought something at some point), but I had to go through the password reset process just to figure out what my username was, and get the new password. My account isn't listing which Slith/Matrix game I actually bought, so it's as good as gone. Never had that problem with a Steam purchase.

That said, I wasn't aware that Matrix was providing Steam keys for games purchased here. If I buy DS now and it gets ported to Steam later, does a key get generated? Or does it only work if the game is already on Steam?
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

No steam, no buy here too.
countrboy

Post by countrboy »

Didn't even occur to me that I might not buy it because it's not on Steam. Steam is nice, most of my games live there, but to pass up an opportunity to play the only decent North African campaign game since Deserts Rats was released in 1985....? No way.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Steam yes/no was not a choice Brian Kelly Games was offered.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

If you don't want Steam to update a game, you have a Matrix version. Some games have been almost ruined by patches and not all devs allow you to roll back via Steam. This has never happened (ever) with Matrix to my knowledge. Their patches are pretty solid, so only a minor advantage here.

And as we all know, major patches on Steam typically make key Workshop mods incompatible overnight. Unless the modder is very diligent or you can roll back, it can be a game-breaker.

There are setting in Steam where you can choose to NOT update a game. But it's beyond me why you would do that.

No steam no buy ...
Capt. Cliff

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”