Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kull

RE: Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post by Kull »

I've been trying out all the proposed solutions, and these two DEFINITELY work:

1) Remove the -dd_sw switch. Unfortunately while some have claimed to see no effect on scroll speeds, for me (and others) it makes the game unplayably slow. Not sure why it works for some and not others, but at least worth trying to see if you are one of the lucky ones.

2) Use the -w switch: In other words, "window mode". The downside is that unless you have a graphics card that offers all possible resolutions, you'll be forced into a window that is noticeably smaller than your monitor can otherwise handle. So a lot of unused "monitor real estate". Not game breaking, but annoying.

I've tried every combination suggested, and nothing else solves the problem. One or two provide some marginal relief and others *seem* to fix things, but within a few minutes of game time it's back to the same old situation. So...just those two.

Edit: Windows mode seems to be the best solution to this problem, BUT, as Theages reminds us in post #63 below, you MUST define a specialized custom resolution for your display and assign that to the px and py values in the WitP-AE launcher shortcut. In my case, that meant a custom window of 1904x1040 inside a monitor set to 1920x1080.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

I think the most important thing is the size of the window I use is a native size for my display

Windows mode always works best when smaller than native size of display ??

You should always try to match the 'native' resolution of your LCD monitor - that way there is a 1:1 mapping of display output to display pixels which is optimum for the clarity and functioning of the LCD screen.

Fullscreen vs windowed as display modes have more to do with window 'focus' - that is, which application window is currently 'in front' of all other windows as well as receiving keyboard and mouse input. Fullscreen mode assumes the application will have exclusive focus as long as it is running. It's still usually possible to switch window focus, but it tends to be less graceful than windowed. Fullscreen also automatically gets rid of the application title bar at the top and the application border around the perimeter. Windowed mode is where the title bar and border remain and typically the application window is smaller than the total size of the screen. It is very easy to switch between applications this way, but some games/applications take a performance hit in windowed mode.

There is also a hybrid display mode called 'borderless window'. It aims to provide the fullscreen experience by removing the title bar, removing the application border, and typically matching the window size to the full resolution of the display, all the while maintaining the graceful switching between programs that windowed mode provides.

WitP:AE doesn't have a true borderless window mode, but it is possible to emulate it. Run the game at a forced resolution matching the native or max resolution of your display. Then use an application like DisplayFusion to move the window a certain number of pixels in both the 'x' and 'y' axis in order to push the title bar and application border offscreen. If done right, you'll have a fullscreen experience with easy switching to Tracker and whatnot - useful while playing WitP:AE.

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Scroll Delay, mouse movement and speed of turn execution all improved when I added -SingleCpuOrders

Most these games engines were launch prior to duo-core let alone quad etc... Single CPU often works best for older games because they were designed that way ??

Not sure this is 100% accurate but both solutions work for me.

Applications are executed in 'threads'. Until multi-core CPUs came along, applications ran in a single thread so no design considerations were made for multi-threaded operation. Every application has a 'flow of execution' which starts at the first line of code and works its way down, line by line, until the very end; however, there are things like loops and conditional statements in programs which can cause the flow of execution to deviate from a single pass, top to bottom flow. If the program wasn't compiled/interpreted to coordinate multiple threads executing the program at the same time, it can lead to problems that actually slow the program down instead of speeding it up. Imagine that you were knitting the same blanket with three other people, but you weren't allowed to communicate with them in any way. It could lead to some interesting situations when two or more of you tried to work in the same spot. Applications written for multi-threaded operation would allow communication between the knitters and would lay some ground rules as to how to divide up the work.

Depending on a lot of particulars about how a program was written, some single-threaded applications fare better in a multi-threaded environment than others.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: Kull

I've been trying out all the proposed solutions, and these two DEFINITELY work:

1) Remove the -dd_sw switch. Unfortunately while some have claimed to see no effect on scroll speeds, for me (and others) it makes the game unplayably slow. Not sure why it works for some and not others, but at least worth trying to see if you are one of the lucky ones.

2) Use the -w switch: In other words, "window mode". The downside is that unless you have a graphics card that offers all possible resolutions, you'll be forced into a window that is noticeably smaller than your monitor can otherwise handle. So a lot of unused "monitor real estate". Not game breaking, but annoying.

I've tried every combination suggested, and nothing else solves the problem. One or two provide some marginal relief and others *seem* to fix things, but within a few minutes of game time it's back to the same old situation. So...just those two.

With Win 10 ver 1709 and a multi-core processor, I've found the following things to be possible influences on the performance of WitP:AE:

(1) Removal of -dd_sw
(2) Use of -deepColor
(3) Use of a -cpu# switch if the CPU is Intel
(4) Use of -SingleCPUOrders or -SingleCPUStart if the CPU is AMD
(5) Experiment with the use of fullscreen and windowed mode plus resolution settings
(6) Use of -multiaudio if combat replay audio doesn't sync with animations
(7) Try turning off transparency mode in Windows 10

It's difficult to quantify results across different hardware/software combinations, and thus it's hard to come to any definite conclusions. This is partially why I'm developing SeaBee.
Theages

Post by Theages »

You can only use a window size (px and py values), which has either been predefined by the graphics card driver provider (these are the standard resolutions like 1024x768, 1920x1080 etc.) or which you have defined yourself. Intel, NVIDIA and AMD allow in their driver configuration / settings program the creation of user defined resolutions. After creation of such a custom resolution DON'T choose it as your monitor resolution BUT only for the px and the py values of the shortcut used to launch witpae.
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Theages

You can only use a window size (px and py values), which has either been predefined by the graphics card driver provider (these are the standard resolutions like 1024x768, 1920x1080 etc.) or which you have defined yourself. Intel, NVIDIA and AMD allow in their driver configuration / settings program the creation of user defined resolutions. After creation of such a custom resolution DON'T choose it as your monitor resolution BUT only for the px and the py values of the shortcut used to launch witpae.

We have bingo! I have a laptop but play AE on a TV monitor with a max resolution of 1920x1080. I followed your advice and after some experimentation, finally came up with an "accepted" custom resolution of 1904x1040. With the Win10 taskbar set to "auto-hide", that generates a game window which almost completely fills the screen (the native monitor resolution remains at 1920x1080 as you suggest), with all elements of the game screen completely visible.

And most important, the annoying bug is GONE! W00t! Thanks, man!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

And most important, the annoying bug is GONE! W00t! Thanks, man!

Joy comes in the most unexpected things[:)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Using the -w is working for me, but I'm using 1920 x 1080. The first time I tried it my task bar obscured the top right corner of my window but I could just move the window if I needed to. The second time for some reason the task bar was obscured.

The important thing is that besides the background not bleeding through all the time, before when I took screenshots half the time they were of the background so I'd have to retake them. Seems to be reliable now.

Kull

Post by Kull »

FYI, the new Win 10 "April Update" removed all my custom resolutions. They can be recreated, but, well, thanks Microsoft!
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

FYI, the new Win 10 "April Update" removed all my custom resolutions. They can be recreated, but, well, thanks Microsoft!
It's all in a day's work. [:D]
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

3 year old Dell Desktop XPS using NVdia graphics and Windows 10 64 bit home edition. Got the game to finally run without issues!!!

Here's the settings that did the trick on the Shortcut; "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -px1904 -py1040 -cpu4 -deepColor -dd_sw

Only took about 3 hours of reading the appropriate threads but there it is. My thanks to those that spent more hours than I did posting their experiences. Wonder why Matrix couldn't post a thread with solutions? Anyhow the game is working for me at about 98% full screen and I can see my taskbar if I need to switch to another program then switch back.

Now on to how to learn to play the game! As an aside...the first computer game I bought for my Apple 2E was Grisby's Carrier Strike!!! Yes I'm that old but that was an amazing game for its time!
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: Aksully
the game is working for me at about 98% full screen

If you'd like to reclaim that last 2%, see the thread How to Run WitP:AE in Fullscreen Windowed (Borderless Windowed) Mode.
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Thx Kovar I got the extra 2% using;

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1920 -py1080

All's well now! Thx again and your work looks impressive! Kudos to you.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Thanks, I'm glad you got it sorted!

Return to “Tech Support”