Always playing a Go - To Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Always playing a Go - To Game

Post by demyansk »

Hi everyone,

I have been playing these computer games for over 30 years. My early favorites included a great many of the SSG titles along with many others. I went to a pinball museum recently in Hendersonville, NC and for $ 10 you can play all day. Like I said, old stuff

Since, I have so many computer games, guess what? I come home and play the Sebastopol scenario again for the third time in the 1942 Campaign for Panzer Korps. I can't get it done in 20 turns.

However, the meaning of this post is this: How many of our fellow gamers buy the new games and still play an older game like 80-20 ratio?

I love Panzer Korps and I just get attached to the units.

Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves playing something all the time and it's an OLD game[;)]
MrsWargamer

RE: Always playing a Go - To Game

Post by MrsWargamer »

Oh yeah. I have way too many new games I never play, and yet no problem playing the old classics.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I always go back to TOAW, luckily IV just came out but even if IV was never going to happen. I'd happily create new scenarios or play old ones for as long as I can get it to run on an OS.

Now with IV I'm good for years to come!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I have all the fps shooters, total war, Eugen games and I never play the stuff. I did put a lot of hours into Battlefield 4 but not for the last six months. I just love Panzer Korps, probably have 3000 hours or more, that's one thing I don't want to find out, I keep it installed through Slitherine.

I used to play a lot of Cmbb
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I play Advanced Tactics Gold, don't really buy new games much anymore maybe 2 a year. I use the money I save on war games to buy currency for my Online games Neverwinter and LOTRO. Cheaper in the long run instead of 70 to 90 bucks on a new game I spend 50 bucks on currency save 40 bucks.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Still fire up all of the SSG titles at least once a year, but my excitement for new games has definitely waned considerably in the last year or two. I spend almost all of my money and devote all of my time playing solitaire board games now.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Funny, I just re-installed SSG's Battles in Italy and all the scenarios from the SSG site last night. Now have to learn it again.

Board games continue to be an inspiration to digital. I tried, but simply must have an AI and a moddable game on a computer screen (not a kitchen table) to be happy. I know there are new systems that better simulate another player, but can't buy into it. Plus the logistics vs. PBEM. However, it is very healthy for the industry at large that people are still into board games. The new mod for FoG2 bears this out.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I like many of the SSI games of the 80's and still play some. War of the Lance being my favorite goto game when I'm bored of the rest. Master of Magic and Centurion Defender of Rome get some playtime also. The ai in CDoR is much better than the modern day ai of Rome II Total War.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Dangerous Waters is a sim I tend to always play once in a while, Janes Fleet Command when it was working on my Win-10, Darkest Hour (Iron Hearts) althought it´s not that old, I do think it´s the best of the series. Panzer Elite gets some love too, and then the 40k stuff which I like. No real old PC wargame that I can remember, it hasent been that long that I jumped in the PC wargame. Well actually now that I remember, COTA was my first PC wargame but that died with Command Ops-2 and Win-10. I sometimes go back to the D&D days and play "Neverwinter" Enhanced edition, many hours playing those back then.

PC wargames are fine, but I think other type´s of games really benefit more of todays tech (graphic wise). Wargames on PC are practical, no set-up, can do PBEM easy, no charts to read, no calculations, and cats can prowl around your desk [:D]

I enjoy the "older" wargame boardgames and all that has to do with them. It´s like playing "PanzerBlitz", it´s old, it has it´s issues but it´s fun and you know that this was the stepping stone for alot of todays games, the system origins are there for most hit seller´s we know of today! There´s still alot more old games to discover that added something to what wargames are today. So, yeah old is wise...

Red
--

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

ORIGINAL: Skeleton

Still fire up all of the SSG titles at least once a year, but my excitement for new games has definitely waned considerably in the last year or two. I spend almost all of my money and devote all of my time playing solitaire board games now.

What are some solitaire board games you recommend? This seems like a whole new area for me to spend money on.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

That really depends on your area of interest and what captivates your imagination. Board Game Geek is a fantastic resource to gauge that interest and do some research. From a wargame perspective, the D-Day games by Decision Games (there are currently three) are all outstanding. There is also Ardennes Enemy Action. DVG has some excellent introductory games (Rommel, Napoleon and Alexander). There are some older classic as well such as Carrier and RAF. My current addiction lies in the realm of fantasy at the moment. I needed a WW2 & WW1 break!
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves playing something all the time and it's an OLD game[;)]
Hell yeah. Around the Christmas I bought entire Heroes of Might and Magic series (NOT counting Might and Magic Heroes ones) from Good Old Games for ~10 € and I have played few scenarios of HOMM2. Phantasy Star II (part of this collection) was in moderate use late in last year. I have also played Crysis again just to see how well this new computer runs it (around 100 frames per second, HD resolution, all maxed out). And with encouragement of a certain song, I restarted Darkest Dungeon. Now I'm trying to get SNK's arcade games (from Humble Bundle) to work with New Retro Arcade Neon.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

If into the modren era (although the dev also has a WWII variants "Night Fight" and "Commandos"), at a good starting price, you might want to try out "Kandahar"...

Board Game Geek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169236/kandahar-special-forces-afghanistan-solitaire

Publisher:
https://shop.strategyandtacticspress.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MW21

Kandahar video (x2 parts):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1pLZMUvQb4

In the WWII era, "Night Fight"...

Board Game Geek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/168382/night-fight-solitaire-east-front-tactics

Publisher:
https://shop.strategyandtacticspress.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WW44

Night Fight (x4 parts) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5qo9xHnXKw

He has yet two more solo games but I can´t remember the titles (Vietnam era, and Commandos something...).

Both (Kandahar/Night Fight) of the above are on my "to get" list as I find both systems interesting and with good replay value. Check your local game shop or online shops for editions, you can still find them.

Do think that we don´t always play solo based games, most games have a solitaire rating, the higher the better "split-mind" you can be and play both sides.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

Red

--
wodin

Post by wodin »

Wings Over Flanders Field is one. That along with Combat Mission Normandy and expansions (Plus others at some point), Steam and Iron Campaign, Tigers Unleashed, Red Orchestra 2 are never uninstalled and the first ones to reinstall with a new system.

RimWorld, Running with Rifles have had staying power aswell.

Dominions 5 is a recent one to add which wont go till Dom 6.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

From time to time I play old DOS games that aren't available for modern systems. Games like Ascendancy, Warlords III: Darklords Rising, and Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, for example.

A great number of old games have been made to work and are available from several digital sources online, notably GOG.com. But there are a number of others that can not be made to run, even using DOSBox.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Soosh

Post by Soosh »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

From time to time I play old DOS games that aren't available for modern systems.
Same here. There's times where I fire up games like Aces of the Deep or one of the old Gold Box titles, just to name a couple. An awful lot of these 'ancient' games are still a joy to play, even 500 years after they got released.
athineos

Post by athineos »

Same here. I Still play Warlords III: Darklords Rising - My all time favorite Fantasy game
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys, athos is the Warlords game the one from SSG? I have a Warlords 3 game on cd
athineos

Post by athineos »

Yes SSG. In addition to scenario editors and random map generator it has several different play modes. It has in my opinion an excellent crafted sharp AI thanks to Roger Keating (programmer). Unlike HOMM (my 2nd most favourite) which emphasize the tactical element, Warlords focuses more on the strategic one. I also happen to have Warlords II Deluxe on Floppy disks!!
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, and Civilization 2

The former for short random maps that can be played in an hour or so, and Civ2 for the advisors.

War In The Pacific - Admiral's Edition - my least played game, but a 300+ page manual to remind me of a time when money seemed irrelevant - and I didn't know there were 4,000 pieces to give orders to in the first move.

Return to “General Discussion”