OT: The Last Jedi

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

etsadler

RE: OT: The Last Jedi

Post by etsadler »

Yes, The Last Jedi has a max theaters of ~2.5x that of Return of the Jedi. I agree that more theaters certainly makes it possible to have larger opening numbers, but its no guarantee. People still have to decide to go and then do so.

But the population of the USA is 40% greater now, yet per my earlier numbers only 10% more tickets sold and 20% more total ticket revenue. So people are, on average, not going to the cinema as much as they did, yet the new movies are still just as high grossing or higher. I don't see how you can see those numbers and conclude anything except that Star Wars is even more popular now than in the past. Like the new movies or not, a lot of people are seeing them and they make a lot of money.
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
....and obvious leftist/ SJW political agendas.

This situation is so bad and permeates so many modern movies that I just wait until they are available on cable. That way if it's too bad (as was the case with Rogue One), I can turn it off and do something else. It would be nice if there was an independent movie ratings system which evaluates the propaganda level.
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

ORIGINAL: Kull
ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
....and obvious leftist/ SJW political agendas.

This situation is so bad and permeates so many modern movies that I just wait until they are available on cable. That way if it's too bad (as was the case with Rogue One), I can turn it off and do something else. It would be nice if there was an independent movie ratings system which evaluates the propaganda level.

I suppose if you try hard enough you can find political commentary in "Pop Goes the Weasel"and "Hickory Dickory Dock". But you are going to have to help me with finding political commentary in Rogue One. Unless the narrative of a group seeking the freedom to rule themselves and fighting against the most powerful military in existence (Does "When in the course of human events..." sound at all familiar?) has now become a leftist agenda.
Prydwen

Post by Prydwen »

I have seen The Last Jedi twice now. Once opening weekend and again about a week ago. After the first viewing I needed to take time to process it because a lot happens in this movie but my initial impression was favorable.

After the second viewing and, having read reviews/discussions, I really enjoyed it. Someone, I think John, asked how you could like and enjoy it and I'll try to answer that question. I think people went in with expectations and theories and things in their heads that they wanted to see happen. I went in with a blank slate. I intentionally put myself in the mindset of just experiencing the movie for what it is without any preconceived notions of what it ought to be. That helped me to enjoy the movie more than someone who goes in thinking Star Wars is this or that and has to fit into a certain box.

My favorite scene was the Luke and Kylo Ren showdown. Visually it was impressive, kind of like the first time seeing the Matrix. The part that made it so powerful to me was the last line when Luke says, "Amazing. Every word of what you just said is wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi." What made it so powerful was all the arc that he had to go through from broken and disgusted with himself and the Jedi order itself to remembering who he is and realizing the power of a legend. He does exactly what he asked Rey if she wanted him to do. He went out, "one man with a laser sword," and stood up to the entire First Order. A legend was born and hope is reignited.

I loved that scene! Worth the price of admission all by itself.

Joe
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Great plot twist...

Attachments
85017562.jpg
85017562.jpg (372.12 KiB) Viewed 300 times

spence

Post by spence »

Got leftist. What does SJW mean?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: spence

Got leftist. What does SJW mean?

Social Justice Warrior
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

In recent years, politics has seriously encroached upon entertainments including sports, movies, television, and live performances. Those who agree with the opinions expressed usually don't mind the encroachments and tend to think it's just a reflection of mainstream thought. To those who disagree, it's highly annoying.

We're very fortunate that our Forum manages to nearly always avoid politics by self-policing. Thank goodness. Good people here.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In recent years, politics has seriously encroached upon entertainments including sports, movies, television, and live performances. Those who agree with the opinions expressed usually don't mind the encroachments and tend to think it's just a reflection of mainstream thought. To those who disagree, it's highly annoying.

We're very fortunate that our Forum manages to nearly always avoid politics by self-policing. Thank goodness. Good people here.
I agree, except for the phrase, "in recent years".
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

We had some Disney Rewards money left from being former account holders of a Disney Visa card for years. I spent the last $30 we had for e-movie vouchers that gave us 'free' tickets to the movie. Just saw it with wife and son today.

It was difficult to find a theater nearby that was showing it. Only 6 weeks after release and it's already rapidly fading from theaters. After seeing the movie, I kind of understand why.

I'd rate the movie a 3 on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the worst and 10 the best. Moments of promise with a bunch of non-sequitur nonsense standing in the way of an interesting premise.

I liked the refocusing on 'the force' and the balance between the light and dark sides of the force. That exploration was unique and well done and walked back the episode I mumbo jumbo about mitichloridians being the ultimate purveyor of force powers. The 'connection' between Rey and Kylo Ren was well done as well and the interplay between them was solid. I liked Skywalker's character conflict and understood its relevance to the ultimate balanced struggle between light and dark / good and evil. His showdown with Kylo Ren was well done too.

The special effects were marvelous, but there isn't a chasm between Star Wars special effects and other movies like there once was.

Alas, the wooden and stilted character development so typical with Lucas' pictures in general was still, unfortunately, present. Meaningful dialogue that wasn't insipid or brazen posturing was short.

I didn't like most of the rest of the movie. Too many unnecessary plot threads that didn't need to exist. Poor tactical and strategic leadership within the rebellion and the First Order. Contrived plot lines about poor upbringings yielding disgust for entitled bourgeois lifestyles-and the aforementioned and totally unnecessary political subtext and commentary about wealth. Inclusion of goofy species for the sheer purpose of plush toy sales. Unremitting noise and special effects with no discernible purpose. Limited advancement of the story arch beyond liquidation of key characters. I could go on and on.

Not very good. I won't see it again-I don't need to. Unless I have some more Disney e-vouchers (which I won't), I am unlikely to see the next one in the theaters.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Right. The anticipation led to a massive opening. But the movie has since underperformed greatly, with viewership falling in ways unheard of for a Star Wars movie. For this movie, that may not matter - the investment might've been covered. But what happens if there's an erosion in anticipation so that future openings don't cover the investment? That's what's intriguing. That's something that Disney has to be wondering about.

I agree with others that have observed a vastly increased movie-going global audience compared with 30 years ago. Global returns are all about Chinese returns at the box office these days. Globally, the Last Jedi was only the second highest grossing picture last year. The highest? Wolf Warrior 2, a Chinese action picture that is largely unheard of outside of China.

Disney will do fine with Last Jedi. Assuming they don't monkey around with the formula too much, they've got a movie cash stream in the franchise for the next decade. But the days of Hollywood and the United States dictating globally relevant blockbuster returns have probably passed.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

We had some Disney Rewards money left from being former account holders of a Disney Visa card for years. I spent the last $30 we had for e-movie vouchers that gave us 'free' tickets to the movie. Just saw it with wife and son today.

It was difficult to find a theater nearby that was showing it. Only 6 weeks after release and it's already rapidly fading from theaters. After seeing the movie, I kind of understand why.

I'd rate the movie a 3 on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the worst and 10 the best. Moments of promise with a bunch of non-sequitur nonsense standing in the way of an interesting premise.

I liked the refocusing on 'the force' and the balance between the light and dark sides of the force. That exploration was unique and well done and walked back the episode I mumbo jumbo about mitichloridians being the ultimate purveyor of force powers. The 'connection' between Rey and Kylo Ren was well done as well and the interplay between them was solid. I liked Skywalker's character conflict and understood its relevance to the ultimate balanced struggle between light and dark / good and evil. His showdown with Kylo Ren was well done too.

The special effects were marvelous, but there isn't a chasm between Star Wars special effects and other movies like there once was.

Alas, the wooden and stilted character development so typical with Lucas' pictures in general was still, unfortunately, present. Meaningful dialogue that wasn't insipid or brazen posturing was short.

I didn't like most of the rest of the movie. Too many unnecessary plot threads that didn't need to exist. Poor tactical and strategic leadership within the rebellion and the First Order. Contrived plot lines about poor upbringings yielding disgust for entitled bourgeois lifestyles-and the aforementioned and totally unnecessary political subtext and commentary about wealth. Inclusion of goofy species for the sheer purpose of plush toy sales. Unremitting noise and special effects with no discernible purpose. Limited advancement of the story arch beyond liquidation of key characters. I could go on and on.

Not very good. I won't see it again-I don't need to. Unless I have some more Disney e-vouchers (which I won't), I am unlikely to see the next one in the theaters.

Ditto!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ditto!

I understand why all of these things exist in Star Wars, but I agree with the critiques many of you have shared here. It left me feeling less excited than the last one. I did like Rogue 1 more than either due to the more serious nature of the struggle and the more consistent plot, goals and world view present.

This is a rebellion, and it just too often seems silly! I get it's not for 46 year old adults, and has to play for 4 years and up, but it still can with some smart film-making and understanding of the world in the film. I feel, as many here have said, that the depiction of this universe is muddied by this film, so may plots left unfinished or rendered unimportant.

So many of the characters seem like charactatures now. Those aspects were always there, but Han, Leia, Luke, Darth Vader nd many other more minor characters, were not. They were fleshed out and solid and complex.

The one performance that stood out to me was Laura Dern as the sacrificial general of the rebellion. I did like the moment of silence (so powerful and underused) when she hit light speed into the New Order Battlecruiser. The moment stands out.
It was still a fun experience for me, though, and I'll have to think about why this was.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I saw it this weekend. Disappointing. They should have killed off the Princess and Jedi last movie because they sure can't act...the Princess especially...watching her on screen felt like fingernails on a blackboard.

Full disclosure, I am no fan of Star Wars since the very first one, and was pretty much dragged to this movie. I do marvel at the merchandising genius the franchise has developed over the years though.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

It was just drug out. Two and a half hours was WAY to long.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
HMASAustralia

Post by HMASAustralia »

I thought I would weigh in as someone a bit too young to have seen the Original Trilogy in theatres, I was too young to even see the Phantom Menace when it was originally released, but I have loved Star Wars all my life ever since when I was about 5 or 6 and my father, mother and I watched the entire Original Trilogy in a single sitting. Going into the Last Jedi I was cautious as I had not at all enjoyed The Force Awakens although I thought Rogue One was an enjoyable spin off. I had never seen a Rian Johnson film or heard of him before I found out he was directing and so had no expectations of what it would be like, but this was just dumb.

I mean Star Wars has always been kind of dumb and campy with some pretty bad script writing, but this took it to a whole new level. The entire middle of the movie could have been cut out with no change to the end result. It could have easily been a 90 minute movie and the same amount of information would have been imparted. It was utterly terrible so many plot points that should have been left on the cutting room floor and a complete butchering of Leia and Luke, like Mark Hamill said OT Luke would have never attempted to murder his nephew or have given up so completely. And why didn't they just let Leia die, it would have been a nice dignified end and tied up her not appearing in Episode IX, also force projection I don't care if it was established cannon is stupid.

And the new Characters are dumb, I didn't mind Hux in small doses as comic relief, but Holdo and Rose were worse than Jar Jar or kid Anakin. And I don't have an issue with adding more females to Star Wars or including actors from minorities, the movie was just bad and the new characters were terrible. I would have much preffered for Admiral Ackbar to be the one who sacrificed himself at the end much better than dying of screen, and they could have had some campy thing where he opens comms and says "its a trap"or something, that would have been the campy Star Wars I know and love, but no.

It was just really dumb and terrible and should never have been made, it made Episode 2 look like a masterpiece of acting and script writing and that is not a movie you want to be compared to at all.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

That sacrificial "kamikaze" jump to lightspeed broke the SW canon. I mean how on earth this was never done before? the empire/ new order had plenty of ships so sacrificing a few wouldn't be a problem. Not to mention it seems that you only need one crew member (or droid) to man it
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Star Wars fatigue? It's something we talked about in this "Last Jedi" thread early in the year. This is from a Bloomberg News online article today, May 28 (I don't know if Bloomberg has cred or not).

It's a fascinating movie business issue - can Disney run Star Wars into the ground, or is it so robust that it can survive most anything, so that hysterical newspaper articles are just daydreaming.

Attachments
StarWarsFatigue.jpg
StarWarsFatigue.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 299 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

They should have waited until Christmas. "Black Panther", "Infinity War", and "Deadpool 2" are soaking up the energy of the young male demo.
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Attachments
x.jpg
x.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”