CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please

After Action Reports
warspite1

CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please

Post by warspite1 »

A new PBEM will be shortly underway.

devoncop will take the part of the foul, smelly, evil Axis, while I shall assume the roll of the righteous Commonwealth and their Allies.

This will be Campaign For North Africa, starting with the Italian invasion of Egypt. Fog of War will be set to ON and so this thread is unavailable to devoncop (he can of course look at the other AAR to get whatever tips he can glean from that game).

I will be doing the AAR from a CW perspective.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Olorin

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

Post by Olorin »

Subscribed [&o]
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

[X(][X(]

Malta 8 Green¡...ahh, golf..what i great game to Bet since first hole; rest and never pass hole 2; comingback to the whisssky-Bar

if i ever lern...

Yes¡; new AARR¡ this is going to be followed

Attachments
Capturade..37.16jpg.jpg
Capturade..37.16jpg.jpg (394.21 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Epsilon Eridani

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I get a message from my opponent to say he has completed his turn. I go into the game and am greeted with this, so I guess I should sit back and watch me a movie [:)]:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 1 - Axis Turn
18th September 1940

Mussolini invades Egypt!

Attachments
Untitled6.jpg
Untitled6.jpg (179.49 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 1
18th September 1940

The majority of the CW forces are reorganising - either in the Nile Delta or Alexandria. There are 5 air units, 3 fighters and 2 bombers, but only one of Hurricanes. To assist the withdrawal of British troops from 'the wire' the squadrons will all be ordered to stand-by - fighters on air superiority and bombers on combat support.

The British aim to conduct a fighting withdrawal. How far back is anyone's guess at this stage....

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Any house rules? Such as do-overs if the entire Tobruk garrison gets withdrawn?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 1
18th September 1940

Well that's a bit rubbish. I'm going to lose units of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment and the Royal Horse Artillery because they cannot move... Ho hum.

I order three blockading forces - a mix of tanks and/or artillery and infantry on the coastal road, and the tracks to the south at Buq Buq, Sofafi and El Hamra. I give orders to dig-in and make the Italians pay for every inch of ground....

Note, these pictures are pre-the digging-in/ignore losses order
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (259.72 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Any house rules? Such as do-overs if the entire Tobruk garrison gets withdrawn?
warspite1

Hadn't thought of introducing any house rules to be honest. We'll see how this pans out and I'm sure if we need to do something then we can.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - Axis Turn
21st September 1940

It looks like I have not ordered the pull back far enough in the south and the Italians have been easily able to surround my forces there without the need for a potentially costly attack.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2
21st September 1940

Situation Report

Game News
Italian Shock Penalty = 8%
Italian Air Shock Penalty = 6%

Army Unit Availability
A number of units - Australians, British and Polish - have arrived in the Nile Delta, but these are all reorganising. The Indians at Mersa Matruh are also reorganising, meaning that essentially I have the 7th Armoured Division (plus a few other units) to work with.

Navy Unit Availability
Nil

Air Force Availability
I still have the five units available (I am going to call them squadrons as its easier) and numbers are:

Hurricane a: 14 aircraft out of 24
MS 406: 2/2
Gladiator: 24/24
Blenheim a: 18/24
Blenheim b: 14/24

If I've read the report right, apart from 7 Blenheims, 8 Gladiators, and 2 Hurricanes, I don't get any replacement aircraft until turns 31, 91 and 44 respectively. However I should have the advantage at this stage and so will have to keep these flying.

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Hi there Warspite, I have playing this scenario since you encouraged me to play Nth Africa with your AAR in the desert. I am playing the Commonwealth against the Axis AI. I am up to turn 131 (17 Dec 41). I am around the Trmimi Bomba area holding there until I mop up around Torbuk.
Formerly Goodwood

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2
21st September 1940

The Squadron of RTR furthest west, with its 8 remaining cruiser tanks, heads east but is attacked en route and does not even reach Sofafi.

The big question is what to do at El Hamra; do I try the same thing (knowing they won't get far) or do I try and fight it out and make the Italians pay as heavier price as possible? The problem is that my understanding is that if these units are destroyed when out of supply then I don't get them back - and this could mean a large part of the 7th Armoured never make it (which surely means the end for the CW before the game even gets started???? - why does the 7th Armoured man the wire at the start?).

The 1st RTR squadron, trying to shake of its attackers is engaged during its retreat and its position looks grim. I request two air strikes by my Blenheim squadrons and the artillery east of Buq Buq are ordered to lay down as fierce a barrage as they can muster.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (284.85 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

Hi there Warspite, I have playing this scenario since you encouraged me to play Nth Africa with your AAR in the desert. I am playing the Commonwealth against the Axis AI. I am up to turn 131 (17 Dec 41). I am around the Trmimi Bomba area holding there until I mop up around Torbuk.
warspite1

Sounds like your a better player than me - but that is not difficult [;)] Its great playing with the CW in the desert isn't it? [:)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - Round 1
21st September 1940

Things get off to a bad start with an airstrike against the Coldstream Guards and develop into something of a shambles as the first strike by the Blenheims achieves nothing but the loss of 9 out of 14 aircraft. There is something seriously wrong with that from an historical perspective but hey ho, it is what it is and its too late to call off the second attack - which sees 8 Blenheims lost in return for 1 biplane. Okay...... At least the artillery do something, causing 17% losses to the Cirene Division.

The likelihood of an attack from Sofafi succeeding seems remote (the guidance is 'poor' and I need to avoid my units at Buq Buq being surrounded so there is little choice but to retreat.

Things go from disaster to pathetic farce for the British. I try and move the 3rd RHA east but it decides to move directly north into the teeth of more Italians (that had been masked by FOW). I then click group movement instead of individual meaning my tanks moved when they shouldn't have and are now stuck north east of Sofafi.......

At Buq Buq the chances of successfully attacking the Cirene are 'poor' and so instead the artillery focuses on the units to the south seeking to encircle Buq Buq. A company of the 2nd Rifle Brigade that did escape Sofafi is ordered to Buq Buq to assist the flank defence.

In the south, with no help coming from anywhere, the British decide on an all out attack on the Italian cavalry to the northeast. The chances of success are 'fair'.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (305.68 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - Round 3
21st September 1940

The Regia Aeronautica seem to roam the skies with impunity and launch an air strike against the British artillery at Buq Buq. Notwithstanding the attack against them the artillery strike against the flanking units sees 5% losses inflicted.

Once again though the deadly RA strike - this time against the 11th Hussars. The British tanks are at least able to break the encirclement, albeit at cost - and another Blenheim is lost in the process but no Axis aircraft are destroyed.

Interesting dilemma for the British here. Do they try and run (but probably get engaged anyway) or fight it out and risk total annihilation? Given what has happened so far I am not sure that running really achieves much; perhaps, if lucky, 50% of the units may get away but the rest will be destroyed.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - Round 5
21st September 1940

An attack north of El Hamra was 'poor' so there is no option but to retreat. Sure enough the British units trying to move from El Hamra are both engaged and one squadron evaporates. The two units to the northeast manage to make it to east of Sofafi however.

To the north there is a further problem for the British as the old chestnut of 'dunes' terrain rears its ugly head. It looks like a battalion of the CCNN Division will be able to simply move up the coast totally immune to attack because the British units are all motorised???? I put the French Marine unit on the coast but cannot block the Italians closer to stop them getting at the artillery. The artillery are ordered to attack the CCNN unit when, quite frankly, there are better things to be spending ammunition on.

The RA attack the Scots Guards and the artillery inflict 15% losses on the CCNN.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (333.41 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - Rounds 7 + 9
21st September 1940

With 40% of the turn remaining the one remaining decision is whether to retreat with the units in the north, or try and hold. I will try and hold on the basis that, as proven, retreating will just mean death anyway. I will use the last remaining ammo stocks to try and hurt the Italians.

The last two rounds sees bombardments of the Italians directly south of Buq Buq. These result in 10% and 16% losses and an engineer unit is destroyed. The RA strikes at the Coldstream Guards once more. I can only hope that these artillery barrages have an adverse effect on Italian attacking options...

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (92.12 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

warspite1

Sounds like your a better player than me - but that is not difficult [;)] Its great playing with the CW in the desert isn't it? [:)]

G'day again, better than you, I wouldn't think so. I've been playing Panzer Corps Grand campaign since it came out I haven't got past 1944 yet He he. I do like Nth African Campaign because it is much smaller than most others, also a good selection of Australian units. My dad was soldier in the Sixth Divi. Could never get into TOAW 3, but thanks to your AAR I have persevered
Formerly Goodwood

Hyding

Post by Hyding »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 2
21st September 1940

The Squadron of RTR furthest west, with its 8 remaining cruiser tanks, heads east but is attacked en route and does not even reach Sofafi.

The big question is what to do at El Hamra; do I try the same thing (knowing they won't get far) or do I try and fight it out and make the Italians pay as heavier price as possible? The problem is that my understanding is that if these units are destroyed when out of supply then I don't get them back - and this could mean a large part of the 7th Armoured never make it (which surely means the end for the CW before the game even gets started???? - why does the 7th Armoured man the wire at the start?).

The 1st RTR squadron, trying to shake of its attackers is engaged during its retreat and its position looks grim. I request two air strikes by my Blenheim squadrons and the artillery east of Buq Buq are ordered to lay down as fierce a barrage as they can muster.

If the unit is allowed to reconstitute at it can be rebuilt latter from squads and equipment in the replacment pool. The supply statusat the time of combat does not change that.

What you do lose by being out of supply is any squads and equipment that were only damaged and not destroyed. Damaged squads usually quickyreturn to the on hand replacement pool. Damaged squads out of supply are treated as if destroyed and are lost.

Return to “After Action Reports”