The Spain/Med option if France lasts long

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

TeaLeaf

The Spain/Med option if France lasts long

Post by TeaLeaf »

Say, France lasts till end of JulAug / beginning of SepOct turn.
Would the Gibraltar/Med. option still be viable for Germany?

I am exploring this axis option a bit more now, and Germany has been preparing for it (I put more focus on NAV/long range FTR, and the occasional ship to go into the med).

But the Axis have been plagued by very short turns and now it's a real possibility France will survive till S/O.
I'd like to continue exploring for the Med but I have doubts now if it's the right thing to do with France falling this late. On the other hand, the Germans are not optimally prepared to switch for Barbarossa as well...

Any thoughts/help/tips?
Jaimainsoyyo

RE: The Spain/Med option if France lasts long

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

Have you taken Algeria?
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Jaimainsoyyo

Have you taken Algeria?

That's indeed the most important question. If you've taken Algeria (or Morocco or both). If you have: don't change your strategic plan. If you haven't I still would not change the strategic plan since you don't have the necessary units to use in Barbarossa.

Also: how are the Italians doing? Is their navy in good order and did they build the NAV, MAR and perhaps some ATR?
Peter
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

Italians have an OOS (but still organised inf div) right next to Algiers. Allies could debark an inf div there this turn, though I don't think they will.
It is impulse 7 (allied), I believe. In any case the turn could end at a 1, which happened as a rule of thumb so far in this game -as far as I can remember ;-).

Italians built 2NAVs (Germans too)some Pilots, FTR, TRS and some CONV, as the CW and France have been targeting the latter 1st priority and some were lost... 4 CONV are still left (lost no TRS), and its entire fleet.

I feel Italy is doing so-so... The Royal Navy just made it clear (so far) they dominate the Med. Seas.
Once transported to Africa, Italian land units usually are OOS the impulse after (I play with limited overseas supply).
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It is still viable to go through Spain and do a 1942 Barbarossa or a Sitzkrieg. Forget about it if you want to do a 41 Barb. But if Russia is stuffing, given what you built, you likely can't break the garrison in 41 anyway.
Paul
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

I was thinking the same, Paul. Russia is indeed stuffing because Stalin recognised the German builds as 'Mediterranan style'.
Well, Germany shall continue for Gibraltar/Med then, without any regrets and Stalin will be dealt with from '42 onwards.
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Don't forget to keep building FTR & NAV to pinch the Brits in BoB/CSV/WMed. And I wouldn't let a late start on Spain bother me too much if I were you. You have all of 41 to take Gib and Egypt. But probably be ready in JF 42 for war with SU.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

Paris and Algiers taken in J/A.

Germany and Italy are currently in some sort of FTR-race with the CW (and possibly France if it is not Vichied).
RAF looks rather strong (not in the least place because Germany lost some aircraft in France because of the French FTR).
NAV are almost all built and counting.

The nasty French have set up strongly in Toulouse as well. Germany may be forced to Vichy + collapse, as Toulouse may be difficult to otherwise bypass/take out. Let's see if Germany and Italy can take all ports in France and overrun the French BB and then install Vichy...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another gamey tactic which has been eliminated in RAW8...
Paul
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

Exactly what is that tactic, Paul?

You refer to the French setting up strong position in Toulouse, or Axis first chase-off French BB and then declare vichy?
I think it has to be the latter, as that is what I myself feel about...

On second thought I think I'm not going to chase the BB's away. I already thought such a move s****...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I meant taking all the ports so the French are forced to have 2 added on the Vichy rolls since they would have no BBs at home.

Nothing wrong with the French defending in and around Toulouse. It would not be gamey for them to defend anywhere except maybe reverse gamey to sit out in the open and be OOS.
Paul

Return to “The War Room”