Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

aviper9

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by aviper9 »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

ORIGINAL: aviper9
I am one of the folks having this issue, did you have any luck getting it to work on your windows 10 machine? I run windows 10 64bit, i7 3770k, 32gb ram and a nvidia 1080ti. ESET Smart Security is my AV. Have tried a few versions of the mod, it never loads anything but appears in task manager taking up exactly 21.4MB of ram.

I tried running it in safe mode but same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reinstall of windows which I am getting close to doing as I really want to check this mod out.

In post #414 of this thread netie got it working on his Win 8.1 machine. I don't have windows 10 but I know some people had issues getting vanilla DWU to run in Windows 10. If the vanilla game runs for you I'm not sure what would cause the mod to not run.

Hey RogerBacon, yeah vanilla works fine. I'm hoping a reinstall of windows will do the trick.
aviper9

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by aviper9 »

Hey RogerBacon, yeah vanilla works fine. I'm hoping a reinstall of windows will do the trick.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on another drive and pointed steam at my existing Distant Worlds install; Baconmod loading fine now. This rules out a hardware issue at least; the problems some of us are having appear to be related to Windows 10 or something we all have installed that is conflicting.

I am eventually going to reinstall Windows 10, so once I do that, I will report back with any further discoveries. For now I can enjoy the mod on Windows 7 dual boot :)
Raagun

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Raagun »

ORIGINAL: Nobody987

Hi RogerBacon,

Happy New Year!
thank you for the update looking forward to checking it out.
I have one plea that is mostly QoL change that would be great to have (at least for me :) ). My spies are 95% of time stealing research from other empires, but I always select missions for them because AI is choosing badly techs to steal. This means, canceling their current mission, drop-down selecting desired empire, drop-down selecting steal research and finally desired time frame for mission, and all of this times number of spies... Is it possible for you to set some defaults for drop-down controls? Personally, I would like to have mission type control to be set to steal research, and time frame to one year.
I suppose this is not too difficult to change, but then again I don't know how this part of GUI is coded (I guess they have predefined values in controls?).
OMG this please!!

Also I love full list of tradable mining bases but can it be sorted by name?
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

Got a couple of things that might be bugs, the Grav well is different for different ships in my current game (thought it was star related) so for construction ships they must reach the edge of the system to be able to FTL out, given their mass and relatively slowneess (due to the class requirement among other things) this makes building stations anoying.

For some reason, I made contact with a pirate faction who seems to only have holdings on the other edge of the map. yeah, well out of mutual reach, they've been annoyingly launching demo attack against my stations, I could pay them to shut them up, but... the whole thing is weird.

The ship counter might be off, or civilians are decommissioning civie ships I've built for them, but I am not certain (maybe they are still under construction, will have to check the spaceport)
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

In the new build I keep getting this error, I think it is triggered by the news-message system. I seem to get it whenever my ships are under attack or whenever a spy has been caught. (don't hold me to this though, I'll take your instinct should lead you to the real cause since it is your baby we're talking about)

''Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index''

It just keeps repeating more and more after a while...say about 25 years in game and increases ever more often.

The game also seems alot less stable, not sure what is causing it. I did take out 8gb of ram but I didn't figure this game will use more than a few at best. I still have 8gb left. I'll try sticking it back in tonight to see if that matters.

I've had a few crashes now and that has never happened to me before, especially when I try to save...it just bugs out and the mouse moves at snail's pace across the screen and I can't do anything else other than reboot my entire computer...it won't even allow me to shut down the program through ctrl + alt + dlt or Alt + F4.

Did something sneek in? It is especially annoying that it keeps giving the error message because I love to run simulations of distant worlds in the background while I'm doing other things so I can see how the galaxy develops in mid stages but this bug keeps preventing the game from moving on in orderly fashion.

I am running a heavily modified version so I'll try to run a few simulations without all the mods and see how that goes...but this is a first for me since the 1.61 build. The 1.55 build worked fine for me.
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Been trying to run the mod with the star gravity well turned off for a while now but can't seem to get it working.
Still getting the exploration bug I spoke of a few weeks ago.

It only happens when I play with the bacon mod. I think it has to do with the star gravity wells as it works perfectly
when I have them on, but not when off.
I am playing with the Beyond Extended Universe but still get the bug when I test without a mod.
Don't get the bug using the normal exe.

Normally when you enter a system it immediately shows up as "explored", you just cant see the resources of the planets,
but instead none of the planets are selectable and the systems remains as "unexplored" even when the ship has scanned all planets. And the few cases where the system does register as explored (which I have yet to figure out why they do) they are still "striped" as if I have no presence in it.
When the system has no planets or it's a gas cloud the ship just bugs out and get stuck.
Furthermore instead of going to the star of the unexplored system it goes directly to a planet in the system which I am pretty sure they don't usually do but I may be mistaken.

Any idea what is causing this (as it seems I am the only one with the problem) and how I can fix it?
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

ORIGINAL: Kingah

Been trying to run the mod with the star gravity well turned off for a while now but can't seem to get it working.
Still getting the exploration bug I spoke of a few weeks ago.

It only happens when I play with the bacon mod. I think it has to do with the star gravity wells as it works perfectly
when I have them on, but not when off.
I am playing with the Beyond Extended Universe but still get the bug when I test without a mod.
Don't get the bug using the normal exe.

Normally when you enter a system it immediately shows up as "explored", you just cant see the resources of the planets,
but instead none of the planets are selectable and the systems remains as "unexplored" even when the ship has scanned
all planets.
When the system has no planets or it's a gas cloud the ship just bugs out and get stuck.
Furthermore instead of going to the star of the unexplored system it goes directly to a planet in the system which I am
pretty sure they don't usually do but I may be mistaken.

Any idea what is causing this (as it seems I am the only one with the problem) and how I can fix it?

I had the same bug but only if I started it from the Steam Launcher. When I made a separate shortcut and references the modified bacon exe separately this bug disappeared strangely enough. I don't have this problem anymore.

Okay I just tested the game out with just the bacon mod and after about 20-25 years I still get the same bug I posted about earlier.

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index"

This is with a fresh install of Distant Worlds and bacon 1.61 on top of it running the bacon mod.

I'll try again with the 1.65 version released yesterday, I'll keep you updated. I'll also try running it for an extended period with the 1.55 exe if I still have it laying around somewhere. You'll hear from me again sir. I may not be able to eat Bacon but I'll dig into your mod[8D]
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Yeah, you told me the same thing last time as well ;P I've tried both launching via a seperate steam shortcut, as well as directly from the exe but still get the bug.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

The grav well variability isn't a bug, its a feature of the mod. The grav well range is based on ship weight. This provides a tactical reason to make ships smaller than your max.

I like it.
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

and screws the support ships, given that early game constructors seem to be at full system well. moreover, seems it does weird things to the pathfinding, with ships moving to the edge to jump back to their target (and in some cases to very questionable advantage)

Quite frankly, I could go for planetary wells, assuming workable, but as it stands, the feature doesn't feels "right"
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Nobody987

Hi RogerBacon,

Happy New Year!
thank you for the update looking forward to checking it out.
. Is it possible for you to set some defaults for drop-down controls? Personally, I would like to have mission type control to be set to steal research, and time frame to one year.

I agree that setting those dropdowns for a spy mission is a real pain. I looked in to doning something like you suggest at one time and I couldn't get it working. That's why I made teh !spy shortcut. Its far from perfect because the tech stolen is random but it was the best I could do. That, along with the ability to ransom back my captured spies make me a lot more willing to roll the dice on reckless random tech stealing missions.
ORIGINAL: Tcby

Thanks for your hard work Roger. Sorting by distance is a great idea [X(]

You are welcome. Yeah, I was tired of having to search for the nearest destroyer every time a mining station was under attack.

I am eventually going to reinstall Windows 10, so once I do that, I will report back with any further discoveries. For now I can enjoy the mod on Windows 7 dual boot :)

Good to know you can play it. Yeah, I'm dreading my eventual upgrade to Windows 10. Maybe I can hold out for Windows 11? I just found out the hard way the latest version of SQL studio doesn't work with Windows 7. Windows 10 is in my future. :(
ORIGINAL: Raagun

That's been something I've thought about too. I have no idea what the default sort order is. It's probably based on construction date. I'll look in to it but, as usual, no promises.
ORIGINAL: Hanekem

Got a couple of things that might be bugs, the Grav well is different for different ships ...

The ship counter might be off...

As Tcby said, the different gravity effects for different ships is based on size as a ratio of max buildable size. Like most Bacon Mod features it can be disabled in BaconSettings.txt. Set smallShipsJumpSooner==false to make all ships be affected the same.
If you want to reduce the effect of gravity wells you can simulate that by changing your race settings for ShipSizeFactorCivilian and ShipSizeFactorMilitary to double their value and then limit yourself to only building up to the normal size. That will reduce the gravity well effect on your ships by half.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I thought it would be difficult since there are multiple types of items in the list but it turned out to be easy.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

Alright I tried 3 different games with each version for a total of 12 games running each for aproximately 75 years. That's bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65 and all of them except for bacon 1.55 end up giving me out of range errors.

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

It seems to start with spies evading capture or getting caught and then seems to exponentially increase as the game progresses.

Also I tried using the fighter hotkeys but I can't seem to get my carriers or bombers to target enemy ships individually on the alt 5 command. Which is hugely annoying because the AI tends to prioritize targets half way across the map while my carriers are getting blased from up close by enemy ships...like come on guys...take the ones down who are threatening my carriers first before you do long-distance bombing runs on their defense bases[:-] Am I missing something? I tried all the hotkeys but I get no response from my carriers or individually selected bombers. (as always, clean install distant worlds running bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65, all three versions give me the same result...aka nothing...)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

Alright I tried 3 different games with each version for a total of 12 games running each for aproximately 75 years. That's bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65 and all of them except for bacon 1.55 end up giving me out of range errors.

It seems to start with spies evading capture or getting caught and then seems to exponentially increase as the game progresses.

Also I tried using the fighter hotkeys but I can't seem to get my carriers or bombers to target enemy ships individually on the alt 5 command. Which is hugely annoying because the AI tends to prioritize targets half way across the map while my carriers are getting blased from up close by enemy ships...like come on guys...take the ones down who are threatening my carriers first before you do long-distance bombing runs on their defense bases[:-] Am I missing something? I tried all the hotkeys but I get no response from my carriers or individually selected bombers. (as always, clean install distant worlds running bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65, all three versions give me the same result...aka nothing...)

OK, forgive me if I've asked this before. Different people's issues are all blurring together these days.
Do the error messages crash or interfear with the game or are they just annoying popup messages?

For the bombers, you need to designate the target first with alt-4 and then use alt-5 or alt-6 to order the bombers to attack. If you load up a saved game it will not remember which ship you designated with alt-4 and you will have to select it again.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

OK, forgive me if I've asked this before. Different people's issues are all blurring together these days.
Do the error messages crash or interfear with the game or are they just annoying popup messages?

For the bombers, you need to designate the target first with alt-4 and then use alt-5 or alt-6 to order the bombers to attack. If you load up a saved game it will not remember which ship you designated with alt-4 and you will have to select it again.

They are just regular popup messages, you can click them to go away but at some point I get one every second or so...making it literally impossible to play on. Unless I hold the enter button continuously[8|]

As for the fighter hotkeys, I tried everything, I even thought for a moment you put it on the right alt key instead of the left but no go...or try the F4 F5 buttons but nope...am I supposed to get a confirmation sound or anything? Absolutely nothing seems to happen when I press Alt 4 or Alt 5... I even tried taking the hsips out of the fleets and commanded them in person but nope...nothing at all. It's strange because all the other hotkeys for for searching and stuff work fine...so I'm wondering if there's any special procedure I need to follow or if I'm missing something...
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Is it possible that you make a new category in the ships and bases screen - "new and in no fleet"?
If yes pls make a version of your mod with only this feature. I cannot play your mod, different freezes and crashes.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: fruitgnome

Is it possible that you make a new category in the ships and bases screen - "new and in no fleet"?
If yes pls make a version of your mod with only this feature. I cannot play your mod, different freezes and crashes.

I'm sorry you can't get the mod to work for you. Unfortunately, I can make separate versions of the mod with only certain features. When I started this project it was only going to be for myself so I didn't keep track of things very well in the beginning. It is impossible to go back, only forward.
Jerkrergers

Post by Jerkrergers »

Is it possible to set mining ships to repeat missions?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: jackrogers

Is it possible to set mining ships to repeat missions?

Not currently buy that's a great idea. I haven't built a state run mining shop in a while or I probably would have thought of it myself.
I'll see if I can implement it. Repeat missions for freighters was harder than I thought it would be but I believe the Alton I finally came up with should work with mining ships as well.
Raagun

Post by Raagun »

I thought it would be difficult since there are multiple types of items in the list but it turned out to be easy.
Great! Ill be waiting for next update extra much.

This trade all is great thing. I was at war with AI and it got another major power to declare war on me by trading their homeworld :D Never so this.

I know QoL improvements are not exciting, but this is stuff DWU is lacking to us all!

Return to “Design and Modding”