Why and how are some planets named?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

BlindOne

Why and how are some planets named?

Post by BlindOne »

I must be missing something because I can't seem to figure it out on my own but why do some planetoid bodies have names where others do not?

I have 4 planets in my solar system that are not named after my Solar System...My new test game is in the "Tythun" Solar System, but the first planet is a desert planet named Cirebno, a third continental planet named Tyn, the fourth is a Gass Giant named Jiecemof, and the last a frozen planet named Scarlet Doom. Meanwhile my own planet is named Tythun 1 eventhough it is the second planet in the solar system and the only Tythun in the list so it might as well just be Tythun...[8|] Cirebno is actually the first one but it is not named conventionally so it skips its number [:-] Would have made more sense if the planet you start on was originally named but hey what do I know right? My people prefer calling themselves Tythun One's to Tyn's I suppose. Go figure.[:'(]
rjord2021

RE: Why and how are some planets named?

Post by rjord2021 »

Are you using a mod that has a built in map?

Moons will have random names generated but planets should always be named after the system they are in unless a custom map is used by the mod.
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

That not entirely true I think, I've seen plenty of named planets (like the moon Obuda in the Psi-Polaris system etc) in randomly generated maps - I haven't noticed any pattern either and wondered why as well.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Are you using a mod that has a built in map?

Moons will have random names generated but planets should always be named after the system they are in unless a custom map is used by the mod.

I'm running a clean version of distant worlds.

Some planetoid bodies tend to have names while others do not and follow the regular naminng scheme. I'm just wondering where these names come from because there's not a text file as far as I am aware of that generates these.

Return to “Design and Modding”