Advanced Third Reich Mod Feedback

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
pzgndr

Advanced Third Reich Mod Feedback

Post by pzgndr »

Hello, the recently released Community Content DLC package contains my updated Advanced Third Reich mod, both 1939 Campaign and 1941 Scenario. Design Notes and Version Notes are in the respective folders.

Below is a summary of the v1.0 updates I made over the past couple of months getting ready for this release:
=================================================================
Advanced Third Reich for Strategic Command WWII: War In Europe, v1.0
=================================================================

DATA CHANGES
- added campaign splash image
- added victory conditions splash image
- resolved Production Delay issues
- made a few Combat Target Data changes to be consistent with Design Notes
- added 4th ASW to United States force pool

SCRIPT CHANGES
- adjusted OFFENSIVE scripts for Russia attacking Helsinki and Riga, and added several continuous offensive scripts to follow build-ups and amphibious invasions
- adjusted STRENGTH scripts to include Algeria/Tunisia for Axis Supply Losses
- adjusted SURRENDER #2 scripts for Italy surrender for Allied units in range of Rome/Naples/Taranto, and increased probability 75% to 90% for Axis surrenders and Axis Minors surrender when Russian forces approach their capitals
- adjusted FLEET scripts to improve German support of amphibious invasions
- adjusted DIPLOMACY scripts to slightly reduce chances of expensive chits for major powers
- fixed RESOURCE scripts for missing variants
- adjusted WAR_ENTRY scripts to reduce chances of coups (5% for variants, 10% for AI)
- adjusted MOBILIZATION #3 scripts to reduce US mobilization 0-2% to 0-1% per turn after Germany and Russia at war

As always, this ain't perfect and continues to be a work in progress. I am very interested to hear any feedback from players playing either scenario, either side, versus the computer opponent or another player. If you play against the AI, it is more challenging at the increased difficulty levels (Veteran or Expert) than at default difficulty.

Please provide any feedback or other comments here about play balance, any errors I may have missed, or any other suggestions for improvements. At some point, I will update the mod to v1.1 and also work on the 1942 and 1944 scenarios. Enjoy!!

UPDATE. For anyone curious about how this looks or plays, I previously posted an AAR HERE. Take a look. Hope this helps.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
steevodeevo

RE: Advanced Third Reich Mod Feedback

Post by steevodeevo »

Just downloaded it today, will be giving it a blast shortly :) So grateful for you guys creating these Mod Campaigns to such a great title, so extending its life. Big thank you.
Dunkelheit87

Post by Dunkelheit87 »

Hi. Can I ask, how to take major fortresses in this mod? In original there were bombers and artillery which reduced entrenchment, but now I cannot do anything at all with Tobruk, Leningrad etc. even when they are surrounded. I'm playing on Veteran level.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

There are still tac bombers and air strikes that reduce entrenchment and inflict losses. The other thing to do is soakoff attacks with weaker units to reduce entrenchment followed by attacks with stronger units to reduce the defenders. Just gotta be persistent.

BTW, for everyone. I have been working on a v1.1 update with various improvements. I'd like to get that out in the next couple weeks if I can get the economics working better and the AI scripting to behave. If any one has comments or suggestions about making this better, please speak up soon! Thanks.
Bill Macon
Dunkelheit87

Post by Dunkelheit87 »

If any one has comments or suggestions about making this better, please speak up soon! Thanks.

It would be good to give more meaning to pocketing. I don't know how it was in ATR, but in this mod the situation is similar with what I had described here:

tm.asp?m=4203401&mpage=1&key=
Altermann

Post by Altermann »

NOOB question regarding Replacements.
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong forums and please feel free to move it.
I haven't played too many Computer Strategy games even though I am advanced in age [;)] . I have been trying out Strategic Command and your Mod for it and was wondering how to use/take advantage of the Replacements. They cannot attack, so I am assuming they are to follow the attacking forces and be there to replace any losses. How do I make use of them?
Enjoying the Mod
Thanks
Ralph
TangSooDo

Post by TangSooDo »

ORIGINAL: Altermann

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong forums and please feel free to move it.
I haven't played too many Computer Strategy games even though I am advanced in age [;)] . I have been trying out Strategic Command and your Mod for it and was wondering how to use/take advantage of the Replacements. They cannot attack, so I am assuming they are to follow the attacking forces and be there to replace any losses. How do I make use of them?
Enjoying the Mod
Thanks
Ralph
They don't actually provide replacements. That's done directly by the units -- right click on an understrength unit and reinforcements in one of the options. I use replacements as garrisons and protection of supply lines. I bet you're not as advanced in age as I am -- I played Avalon Hill's Gettysburg over 50 years ago!
nnason

Post by nnason »

AH Gettysburg great game. Playing follow-on 4th version (88) at World Board Gaming Championships in July.
and I might have you both beat at 55 years. [:)]
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Altermann
I have been trying out Strategic Command and your Mod for it and was wondering how to use/take advantage of the Replacements.

In the Third Reich boardgame, the Replacements unit was just a cadre unit of defense 1 with no attack. It had nothing to do with providing replacements for other units. Basically it's a garrison unit.

I am close to wrapping up my v1.1 update but I've identified a couple of issues that Hubert is going to look at. Once these are resolved and the official game update is released, I'll post my mod update.

Bill Macon
TangSooDo

Post by TangSooDo »

I'm just getting back to playing this after a hiatus from Strategic Command. I am playing as human Axis vs. AI Allies now and have just invaded the USSR. In previous playthroughs I felt that it was very difficult to get the kind of penetration of Soviet defenses that the Germans obtained historically early in Barbarossa. I should know how this try works out very shortly and will report on it.
Batavian

Post by Batavian »

Is the AI in this mod the same as the one in Hubert's?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Batavian
Is the AI in this mod the same as the one in Hubert's?

Yes and no. The generic "fuzzy logic" AI that handles routine offenses and defenses is the same throughout the game for both default campaigns and mods. But all of the campaign-specific AI and Event scripts are unique for Advanced Third Reich. In some cases they are similar, in many other cases they are different.

See also my comments about the v1.1 update HERE. I'm trying to work out all of the kinks from v1.0, and there are several, notably a problem with my Italian Surrender script that keeps the Italians hanging on too long.
Bill Macon
Altermann

Post by Altermann »

Great, thanks for the feed back guys. I'll use them as garrisons
TangSooDo

Post by TangSooDo »

I am proceeding slowly with my game as human Axis vs. computer AI, having reached March 1942. However, the advance into Russia by the German forces hasn't been disappointing this time. I don't know if it's this version, or if I'm playing it better. I'm threatening Leningrad, have fought a fierce back and forth battle for Smolensk and am doing particularly well driving toward the Caucasus (I think). The variants certainly change some things, but they seem to balance out for each side. Nice job, Bill!
Batavian1

Post by Batavian1 »

I’m enjoying this mod better than the vanilla game. Thanks for the mod.
TangSooDo

Post by TangSooDo »

ORIGINAL: TangSooDo

I am proceeding slowly with my game as human Axis vs. computer AI, having reached March 1942. However, the advance into Russia by the German forces hasn't been disappointing this time. I don't know if it's this version, or if I'm playing it better. I'm threatening Leningrad, have fought a fierce back and forth battle for Smolensk and am doing particularly well driving toward the Caucasus (I think). The variants certainly change some things, but they seem to balance out for each side. Nice job, Bill!

It's now September 1942 and Leningrad has fallen in the northern drive, and Stalingrad in the South. This certainly answers my concern that the Germans couldn't penetrate deep in the USSR. Additionally, Tobruk looks like it will be taken by the British any day, and the war at sea has proven very active with my German fleets trying to take on Allied ASW forces in addition to raiding. Very enjoyable.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Thank you for the feedback. The good news is I've got v1.1 working pretty well now with lots of improvements and better balance. Should be ready for posting whenever Hubert/Matrix release the v1.10 update.

The economics of the original boardgame are good, but very challenging to recreate in this adaptation. Finding the right balance to simulate Axis gains in the early war and then Allied gains in the late war is tricky. I found and fixed several production issues, and my last two playtests had Axis doing well into 1942 and then Allies winning in May-June 1945, so I'm feeling better about the play balance.
Bill Macon
JawBreaker

Post by JawBreaker »

I decided to wait to comment on this mod until I could give it a thorough and complete six month testing.

After extensive interaction and prolonged playing, I have come to a conclusion:

This is the most brilliant damn mod I ever saw.

The man who made this is a friggin' genius.

This mod is as close as you can get to ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

Screw it, I'm naming my next kid after him.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”