HPS Combat Actions Vietnam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

HPS Combat Actions Vietnam

Post by Rosseau »

Looks interesting. A Squad Battles lite game. Patriot Battles was incredibly simplistic and cost $5 more. It makes me hesitant to throw more money his way. But this one certainly looks superior.
Red2112

RE: HPS Combat Actions Vietnam

Post by Red2112 »

It looks cool indeed, specially because it´s the first PC wargame that I see that has a "block" game look to it. I have a friend who plays "Desperate Glory" (same dev), and is quite happy with it! Again, as you say, it´s on the lite side, as Desperate Glory (beer and pretzel). See second post...

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11699-wargames/?page=1

Unfortunatly there´s no mention of PBEM, most likely there is, but they could have added that to the info...

--
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm pushing Jeff to enhance it and make campaign system, named soldiers etc etc
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Thanks Wodin!

Can you tell us how many scenarios/missions are included? and dose it have PBEM?

I just stumbled on Digital Gameworks web site, and actually trying out "Red Thunder" (demo), quite nice...
http://digitalgameworks.com/index.php/red-thunder/
50 page manual included.

--
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I was just going to post this and checked to see if anyone else has written. Anyone play it?
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/J ... ietnam.asp

Does Steam have any of these games from Digital?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Random Maps generation but you set the mission type like Search and Destroy. Single player only.

Email me if you want to see the manual.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks Wodin, maybe some videos online? I'll check
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Hmmm... It´s a fun game for sure! You control a Squad or Platoon, with seven mission types, and as Wodin stated, random map generation. The same with the opfor, they are generated randomly which all together makes re-playability very good. It works on command points, you spend command points to do actions, and you can only do one action per turn, so it gets tricky! You also pay penalty´s for being out of command (within 4 hexes of leader), so it gets interesting. There is some "real-time" play as the AI will counter-fire in your turn if spotted/muzzel flash and/or moved, sort of like ASL. The AI for now seems smart, three games I played (2 squad, 1 platoon) and got my booty kicked! It dose get quite personal and up close indeed! [:D]

Map movement could be different IMHO, you need to adapt to it. Counters could also "look" a bit better. The three missions I did seemed like at night, maybe due to the background being black, not sure, but could use some more light. Overall these issues don´t break the gameplay or immersion, just my opinion.

I expected something like this, so Iam not disapointed. It´s the kind of game you fire it up and just play, without the learning curve or long turns. 13 page manual, so you get an Idea. I still need to understand some of the game mechanics, as the unit bases change color depending on whats going on, or command points left. Some things I still need to figure out, but so far I see myself playing it more then suspected [:)]

Red

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

The price of a dummed Squad [:D]

Now I have to do the paper work for my KIA Squad [:(]

Red
wodin

Post by wodin »

It's a great foundation for something that could be real special in my opinion. Jeff also would like to expand the game into somethi ng more detailed..
ORIGINAL: Red2112

Hmmm... It´s a fun game for sure! You control a Squad or Platoon, with seven mission types, and as Wodin stated, random map generation. The same with the opfor, they are generated randomly which all together makes re-playability very good. It works on command points, you spend command points to do actions, and you can only do one action per turn, so it gets tricky! You also pay penalty´s for being out of command (within 4 hexes of leader), so it gets interesting. There is some "real-time" play as the AI will counter-fire in your turn if spotted/muzzel flash and/or moved, sort of like ASL. The AI for now seems smart, three games I played (2 squad, 1 platoon) and got my booty kicked! It dose get quite personal and up close indeed! [:D]

Map movement could be different IMHO, you need to adapt to it. Counters could also "look" a bit better. The three missions I did seemed like at night, maybe due to the background being black, not sure, but could use some more light. Overall these issues don´t break the gameplay or immersion, just my opinion.

I expected something like this, so Iam not disapointed. It´s the kind of game you fire it up and just play, without the learning curve or long turns. 13 page manual, so you get an Idea. I still need to understand some of the game mechanics, as the unit bases change color depending on whats going on, or command points left. Some things I still need to figure out, but so far I see myself playing it more then suspected [:)]

Red

giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Thanks Wodin, maybe some videos online? I'll check

I would love to see how this plays on Video if you find one lets us know.Thanks!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I´ll be doing one soon! As soon as I don´t get my a** kicked, cuz the AI keeps on beating me no matter what I do! [:D]

There´s seem´s to be alot more to it, then what´s at first glance! You really have to think about how to spend those CP´s (command points), seek cost of terrain, do good use of it, and also what fire arms your units are carrying (range/firepower).

Might upload tomorrow, but I do wish I was more proficient with it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I caved in and bought it late last night. I'm where Red is at, only worse. Having some issue using grenades and need to ensure it is my fault (most likely) and not the program's. But otherwise, this is the best since Vengeance and would appeal to a much larger audience if enhanced some.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Guys I always wanted to make a video of a game. Do you have any recommendations on the best free software to make one?
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Video is up on my channel...

First gamplay that I win too! [:)]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYew0G08mtI&feature=youtu.be

@demyansk
Free editing and or recording apps that I know of, "X-Split" and "OBS". If you have a GTX 660 or above, you get "Shadowplay" with the Geforce Experience software. It´s a free on-screen recording/streaming app. I use this and Cyberlink´s "Power Director 15" for editing, which is on sale now (Power Director 16).

Red
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks red for that info, I forgot all about that, ill have to read more about it.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Thanks Wodin!

Can you tell us how many scenarios/missions are included? and dose it have PBEM?

I just stumbled on Digital Gameworks web site, and actually trying out "Red Thunder" (demo), quite nice...
http://digitalgameworks.com/index.php/red-thunder/
50 page manual included.

--

I'm going to try Red Thunder, nice to see a demo, it's been a long time since I've seen a demo offered.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

If you are a regular, I don't think the RT demo is going to impress you much. Played it years ago, and I am very impressionable [;)]

Some of his new stuff is pretty good though. Just don't buy Patriot Battles, imo.
giffin

Post by giffin »

@demyansk
Free editing and or recording apps that I know of, "X-Split" and "OBS". If you have a GTX 660 or above, you get "Shadowplay" with the Geforce Experience software. It´s a free on-screen recording/streaming app. I use this and Cyberlink´s "Power Director 15" for editing, which is on sale now (Power Director 16).

Red

Hey Red great looking play Video! I wonder if you will be able to do a MOD on the US 3D counters and buff them out a bit more?
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

@demyansk

Red

thanks for posting the vid Red

Rick

Return to “General Discussion”