i have 2 question

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
bde4soldier223

i have 2 question

Post by bde4soldier223 »

when you are creating your force...how do you know what unit size to use?

and what turns to use?

thanks
Dr. Foo

RE: i have 2 question

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: bde4soldier223

when you are creating your force...how do you know what unit size to use?

and what turns to use?

thanks

Look at typical TO&E for the types of unit (force) you are creating. Look at a TO&E of US mech division (of the period of the game) if that's what you're creating to give you a sense of the personnel and equipment in that unit. Keep in mind balancing. You don't want to create a overpowered Tank Army to fight infantry.

Turns, if you are recreating something historic think about how long the campaign lasted and if it would fit better with one week turns for a 30 turn game rather than a 210 full day turn game.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

That's entirely up to how you want the scenario to play out. A lower average unit density/hex of front line makes for a more fluid game with breakthroughs more likely, a higher density makes it more likely the result will be a slow attritional grind. The number of moves each unit gets per turn has a similar effect. In most case you probably want to keep the latter between 8 and 20; but highly fluid scenarios like WW2 North Africa can benefit from much higher ones to better simulate the rapid sweeping advances that occurred after either side broke its rivals front line open and surged across the desert until they outran their supply lines.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Roberto,

some indication you already know... remember, the Tutorial '42 - Editor sandbox scenario? I like the 1km or 2.5km/hex 6hrs/12hrs for company/battalion size units. 5km/hex for regiments, etc. But again, it depends. As you already noticed, I like the operational aspects of the game. Combined Arms, etc.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

i understand
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: bde4soldier223

i understand
So, as my rule of thumb: 1km/hex company, 2.5km/hex battalion, 5km/hex regiment, 10km/hex division. But again, just my personal opinion. There are exceptions of the rule; especially in the Pacific.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

thanks

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”