Games by Adanac Command Studies ??

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Freyr Oakenshield

Games by Adanac Command Studies ??

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Hey!

Has anobody played Adanac Command Studies' games, i.e. Guns of August, Piercing Fortress Europa, and Campaign son the Danube? Are they any good?

PS.
I'm posting here becasue the games' forums seem deserted...
Red2112

RE: Games by Adanac Command Studies ??

Post by Red2112 »

I picked up "Piercing Fortress Europe" about a week ago (sale), just now I have finished my first game (tutorial scenario "Sicily Campaign"), with a minor allied defeat! Still have the manual opend...

Not that I know the system to good, still going through the manual and trying to understand how supply work´s (core of the game), but I decided to jump in anyway. It´s not difficult to understand in how the basics work, but since the system focuses alot on supply (fuel/combat supply), you do have to read the manual a bit in order to understand how the economy/supply works in order to be proficient with your gamplay. Which is what Iam trying to learn this last hour while I play/read.

Personally I like the clean look of the game (UI), it´s easy to navigate, although I am using the map and counter mod by chemkid which is real nice. I also like the counters which remind me of the "old-school" counters, quite easy to understand, but what I really like is the WEGO system, which makes gameplay alot more interesting as you don´t "see" where the enemy is, or what it´s going to do till you finish your phase. That itself gives you a uncertainty of what will happen further on in the game, and in your actual turn, so you have to plan ahead your strategy which is a realistic thing in my opinion.

You can unbalance the settings at the beginning of the game to the side you wish, so your game can always be different, the WEGO system also helps to make each game unique so overall I think there´s good replay value with it. I havent played it enough, but so far I got my butt kicked from the AI, which isn´t to difficult in my case! So, yeah Iam liking it and can forsee a challange.

At the sale price I think there´s not much to lose to be honest, and it dose have a feeling of a down-graded "War in the East" sort of to it. So you get the idea, here´s a video on YT...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An10qr_N3yw

In a nutshell, I like the WEGO system it has, the moded map/counters and UI is real nice for my taste, and if it beat me once, Iam sure it can do it again. If not, choose a side to favor, to unbalance the opfor. The only thing that I dislike is how you pick the counter in a stack (right click), it get´s some used to!

Whish I could be more of help, but you cought me just playing my first round tonight! I should have paid more attention to how many points I needed in order to have a marginal victory in my first game!

Red

--
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I think Campaigns On The Danube is the best depiction of Napoleonic warfare from a commander's view point.

I suggest you read the AAR by Rasputitsa on the COTD forum.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

No, they are not good, they are great. Well worth investing in. I prefer the WW1 and WW2 titles, but all three are worth owning.
A Sharif
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Adanac command studies games are superb and truly rare gems - i say rare only because i wish there were more that could be put out by Adanac - Campaigns on the Danube is the best campaign operational level wego napoleonic out there it is really quite elegantly designed too if you read the manual and how fog of war is recreated in the game

I played piercing fortress europa a bit a while back - it is great to be sure, but i didnt find it to be as unique as CotD, but it is nevertheless good and i think an easy intro to more advanced wargames.

Hopefully a new volume of Napoleons campaigns will be out one day, Frank had mentioned it a while back but we have not heard anything new since
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Highly recommend both games. Very realistic feeling. You make your move "wishes" no guarantee they will happen. Plus the enemy selections and yours move at the same time and they may be moving or not to the same place you are trying to get to and/or someplace you weren't expecting.

A truly different games system. It will take you a while to get use to it, but once you do you will be pleased and wish there were more like it.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Ian, it´s the same AAR video I posted up above [:)]

Nevertheless it´s the AAR´s that you did what finaly convinced me to get PFE. So thank you for the AAR videos Ian! I plan to do a vid soon with the chemkid mod which looks great!

BTW, is there a way to get more "Air Points" once you lose some? Also, I see that some units have a inverted triangle on the top left, I don´t see a mentioned (or missed it) on the manual. Any Idea of what it stands for?

--
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Is anybody playing Guns of August susccesfully on windows 10? (1920x1080)
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

yes I am. There is a small work-around but runs no prob.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Thank you spinecruncher...

I bought it and installed both patches, and it works fine, except that with my native resolution of 1920x1080 there´s a portion of the bottom screen cut off. (very small, about a inch and it dosent cut out the actual game, just it´s size) Might be the 16:9 format, but its strange because I also bought Campaigns on the Danube (older), used that same resolution (1920x1080) and it fill´s up my whole screen.

As a side note:

Why are some of you saying Campaigns on the Danube is WEGO? It´s stated on the product page as IGOUGO. It might have been when it came out (not sure) but it´s not now...

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/282/details/Campaigns.On.The.Danube

Correct me if Iam wrong (wish I was). I havent started play yet!

--
Soosh

Post by Soosh »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Why are some of you saying Campaigns on the Danube is WEGO? It´s stated on the product page as IGOUGO. It might have been when it came out (not sure) but it´s not now...

--
I bought CotD some years ago. It's always been WEGO and still is.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Soosh

--
I bought CotD some years ago. It's always been WEGO and still is.

Ok, thanks! Then there´s a error on the product page, as it states IGOUGO [8|]
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

BTW, happy to see it´s WEGO [:)] That´s what I thought in the first place. A recent post and the product discription (IGOUGO) threw me off as I havent started play yet, still with Guns of August and learning that. Great stuff really, all three of them!
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Hey!

Has anobody played Adanac Command Studies' games, i.e. Guns of August, Piercing Fortress Europa, and Campaign son the Danube? Are they any good?

PS.
I'm posting here becasue the games' forums seem deserted...

as with others, I'd seriously recommend Campaigns on the Danube, its a superb modelling of operational Napoleonic warfare. If you go very hardcore about the Fog of War rules (you don't even know where your own units really are) then it makes you really appreciate all the challenges of pre-modern command and control
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

BTW, is there a way to get more "Air Points" once you lose some? Also, I see that some units have a inverted triangle on the top left, I don´t see a mentioned (or missed it) on the manual. Any Idea of what it stands for?

--

'Air Points' are sometimes added as part of the scenario, just as additional ground units become available, you will be advised as additional air points are added to the pool, for you to allocate mission priorities.

The small inverted triangle on the unit counter indicates that the unit does not exert a ZOC, either permanently because it is too small, or temporarily because it has been forced to retreat.

Highly recommend 'Piercing Fortress Europe', as the WEGO system provides a priceless level of uncertainly, which is lacking from most click-and-drop IGOUGO games. You can never be sure that your units can reach the positions set for them, which forces more attention into realistic strategies.

'Campaigns on the Danube' is even better in the way that it replicates Napoleonic warfare, with a realistic command structure working through sub-ordinate commanders, each with their own attributes and skills. Both these games are easy to play, but with great depth hidden in a simple operating system.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

--

'Air Points' are sometimes added as part of the scenario, just as additional ground units become available, you will be advised as additional air points are added to the pool, for you to allocate mission priorities.

The small inverted triangle on the unit counter indicates that the unit does not exert a ZOC, either permanently because it is too small, or temporarily because it has been forced to retreat.

Highly recommend the game, as the WEGO system provides a priceless level of uncertainly, which is lacking from most click-and-drop IGOUGO games. You can never be sure that your units can reach the positions set for them, which forces more attention into realistic strategies.

Thanks Rasputitsa. Will take that into account next time.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

cotd is wego but uniquely so, i mean you can set the games realism so that what you are getting back in the game when you run your turn are the reports and what you see on the map can be set to be just based on reports, so its a strange nether realm that you see play out - in that you may find yourself issuing orders based on old and incorrect information, which is what i found so fascinating about it, even though i am terrible at it every time

Return to “General Discussion”