How do I get my oil and raw up. AI thrashing me.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

altipueri

How do I get my oil and raw up. AI thrashing me.

Post by altipueri »

When I play it is usually the original AT. Time to try ATG again.

I tried a couple of New Dawn, mirrorish, one city starts and even though I have about half the resources at the beginning and haven't lost any territory, after a few turns the AI is out producing me by miles (or tons and barrels I suppose) :)

I'm killing the AI hordes at about 2:1 but I'm being overwhelmed.
Twotribes

RE: How do I get my oil and raw up. AI thrashing me.

Post by Twotribes »

Engineers and Political points to raise Oil and Raw sites they go to level 3
Favoritism is alive and well here.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Do I move engineers to the site and build something?
I have loads of political points because I left a town producing them.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Yes move engineers to the site and it will let you build the site.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Great, done much better thanks. This game really is a "just one more turn" addiction - and now it is one in the morning and I've been playing five hours.
Josh

Post by Josh »

I usually build engineerunits consisting of 40-50 engineers. And some horses for movement. They are the key in most of my games, for upgrading and building rpads, bunkers, airfields, etc. Oh and harbours too you know for amphibious landings.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

How are power points calculated?

I was killing 2:1 and matching production, but now my power is half the AI and kill ratio is nearer 1:1.

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Power points are a stat assigned to the Subformation type (or equipment if you will) that it is. For instance 1 rifle is 1 power point. Usually they correspond to the number on the counter. However things like experience can increase or decrease it... (the number on the counter).

There is no way in game for a subformation to gain Power Points or lose them. They can btw be seen on the subformation details screen in the combat menu for each individual subformation.

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

I build 40 engineers on turn 1 and 2 trains (two 20 engineer units), with the latter coming in turn 2 if my capital city is a port and I build ships on turn 1. If I build fighters then my resource buildup is delayed but otherwise that is the critical part of the early game. Need like 200 in raw and as much as possible in oil so that is the primary goal early on. Unless I get attacked and have to defend myself, I just keep building up my resources, with more engineers coming typically.

Once war starts it is armored cars and artillery, and the AI cannot stand up to that, except you have to watch out for anti-tank weapons. If the game runs long enough, it is time to replace the armored cars with medium tanks (level 3) and they are unstoppable against the AI.

With this approach I typically run into situations where I am running out of oil every turn. Not much I can do about this, with all my oil up to level 3, but it just delays the inevitable.

If I get a situation where my cities are on a different continent and an AI is already there, or have very poor resources, or I get attacked by like 3 AI at the same time, that is when I typically lose. A matter of the 'luck of the draw', or lack thereof.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”