Ben Madison's 'British War Trilogy' Solitaire Board games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jack54

Ben Madison's 'British War Trilogy' Solitaire Board games

Post by jack54 »

Hi

for those of you that enjoy solitaire board games White Dog Games http://www.whitedoggames.com/ has R. Ben Madison's British War Trilogy. I really like the design of his games. They are inspired by Vietnam Solitaire Special Edition. Plenty of politics, random events and die rolling. They are procedural in nature with a step by step turn sequence; a 4 /9 complexity rating. They're also area based strategic so there are no flanking maneuvers. IMHO worth checking out if you enjoy solitaire...

Don't Tread On Me (You play the British during the American Revolution) singlehandedwarfare review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fClCAadnrFw

N The Napoleonic Wars (You play the British trying to force Napoleon to abdicate) Stuka Joe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ymmNE1iDjY (actually has 3 videos)

Mrs. Thatcher's War (You play the British during the Falklands War in 1982) Geek Gamers preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgbERSlqoBE

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
demyansk

RE: Ben Madison's 'British War Trilogy' Solitaire Board games

Post by demyansk »

I looked at some of the games, are they difficult to play?
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I looked at some of the games, are they difficult to play?

Based upon my play of Don't Tread on Me and some Falklands War
I wouldn't say difficult but there certainly is a learning curve as each turn is broken into a series of steps that are done in a specific order. Each step could have multiple options For example In the Falklands War The British SAS unit becomes available from the turn track and has the option to

Raid The Airfields at Goose Green or Pebble Island
Conduct Operation Mikado by attacking the Argentine Exocet Stock
Perform recon and reveal an Argentine land force.

No matter if the unit succeeds or fails a D6 role determines how far down the turn track till it is available again.

After a while you get use to the things. I'm still learning myself since I got Falklands and Napoleon for Christmas. Napoleon does appear more complex; I haven't started yet but Stuka Joe's videos got me to buy it.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I've got N The Napoleonic Wars but haven't set it up. It definitely goes beyond basic wargaming and throws in a lot historical variables to deal with. I need to review the videos. Thanks.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys for the suggestions
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Does he make anything but printed games? $41 for a game that doesn't have cardboard pieces seems rather high to me. But, I'm used to AH games that were $3.64 with cardboard pieces and a hardbound map. [:'(] Not to forget Strategy & Tactics games came with cardboard pieces even for $6.00; paper maps though. It's been a long time since I bought a board game so probably why I am shocked at the prices.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Does he make anything but printed games? $41 for a game that doesn't have cardboard pieces seems rather high to me. But, I'm used to AH games that were $3.64 with cardboard pieces and a hardbound map. [:'(] Not to forget Strategy & Tactics games came with cardboard pieces even for $6.00; paper maps though. It's been a long time since I bought a board game so probably why I am shocked at the prices.

The Napoleon PnP is $23. The other versions (boxed and folio) do come with thick cardboard counters and paper maps. At least the Prices include shipping. My wife doesn't seem to mind my PC games very much but cannot understand $60-80 board games at all.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

That Roman game I looked at was $41 and said printed.

Also, I'm with your wife on this one. [:'(]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Excellent! Thanks for the link! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”