Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wolfclan

RE: Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post by wolfclan »

It is worth trying out removing -dd_sw . It solved the problem for me with only a minor slow down in the mouse interface.

I don't know what has happened over the years, but, I was experiencing the very slow mouse interface when I first entered -dd_sw, but not now, just a minor degradation
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Yes removing -dd_sw worked for me also. There is only a minor slowdown with the mouse interface.

Thank goodness as the wallpaper bleedthrough was making the game unplayable.
bristolduke

Post by bristolduke »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Ok, so my desktop started asking me to update to this Win10 version. I still have my laptop so I went for it. Now, I have always played in windowed mode and didn't change any of my switches so I was pleasantly surprised to not see this bleed through issue after the update. I think I am confirmation that windowed mode does not have this problem. Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes. I'd go further, I've never had any problems with any update playing in windowed mode once I settles on this.

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

I think the most important thing is the size of the window I use is a native size for my display. I tried using the max 1920 x 1080 as I did sizes in between and got weird effects until I settled on 1600 x 900 way back even before Windows 10.

So in my case adding the dd_sw seemed to fix the problem. However, now the mouse does not work going down or going to the right. Works fine going left and up.
Rogue187

Post by Rogue187 »

After doing my windows 10 update, i am experiencing the bleed though of the background whenever i hover the mouse over a base, tf, airgroup...well anything and i am left with an image of my desktop on the screen until i pan the map. But recently it seems to gotten worse. The screen will flash and i will be staring at the desk top. If i pan the mouse, it will flash back to the game. I am running the game in full screen mode and not windowed mode. Is there any fix for this?
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Rogue - you seem stuck like many of us. If we go to command line and remove -dd_sw switch, the result is glacially slow mouse and map movement - BUT no desktop/map fragments.
If we install the -w switch, then add -pw + -py dimensions (which are a mystery to most to figure out correctly) BUT at least the partial screen works properly and mouse and map speeds are back to normal.
Finally if I restore the command line switches back to original - I'm right back where I started from and have a buggy map, but at least I can play...
Summary complete (or so I think!)
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

ORIGINAL: Theages

Your problem is, that the AMD Driver does not "know" the resolution, you set with -px and -py. Therefore the game falls back to its standard resolution.
3000x2000 is no standard monitor resolution. You either have to use a standard resolution (eg. 2560x1440) or define a custom resolution in the driver settings. I don't have an AMD card, so I can't test it. The option should be somewhere in AMD Radeon Settings on the Display tab. DON'T choose it as desktop resolution, just define it.

Going Fullscreen (-f switch) will work, but many are plagued by the abysmal scrolling speed (when not using -dd_sw). Up to Win 8.1 I didn't have any lag (using Intel and NVIDIA drivers). Win10 introduced the problem, causing me (and many others) to use the -dd_sw switch (DirectDraw is emulated by software and not done in Hardware (GPU driver)).
Up to Win10 version 1703 the bleedthroughs were only from other open windows or taskbar icons (eg. the time updating), with 1709 the bleedthroughs happen with nearly every mouseover popup, when you move the mouse away and the map should reappear (instead the underlying desktop portion is shown).

I solved the problem by removing the -dd_sw command ... problem solved.

It does solve the problem, but causes a huge lag in the mouse interface. You can 'click' on something, and then sit back and have a cup of coffee waiting for a response.

Sorry but I am not seeing that problem. My mouse works fine with no lag.Here are the commands I use; -deepColor -cpu2 -archive -autosave -f
Capt. Cliff
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I have something similar. I will have to get my laptop out to verify.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I solved the problem by removing the -dd_sw command ... problem solved.

It does solve the problem, but causes a huge lag in the mouse interface. You can 'click' on something, and then sit back and have a cup of coffee waiting for a response.

Sorry but I am not seeing that problem. My mouse works fine with no lag.Here are the commands I use; -deepColor -cpu2 -archive -autosave -f
+1
Scroll Delay, mouse movement and speed of turn execution all improved when I added -SingleCpuOrders and -cpu2.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Something I've not seem mentioned, could the order the switches are used in have any effect? Beyond my pay graded to say yeh or nay.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Something I've not seem mentioned, could the order the switches are used in have any effect? Beyond my pay graded to say yeh or nay.
no effect AFAIK. Sequence never mentioned in any discussions.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

no effect AFAIK. Sequence never mentioned in any discussions.
Concur, no effect.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: caballo71

I have the same problem w10, last update.

Try the option of the Witpqs message. It did not work And I left it as my w10 was configured.

I just tried the window -w configuration has really stopped showing the problem, with a small loss obviously on top because of the appearance of the program name.

"C: \ GAMES \ WITP-AE \ War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -fixedArt -altFont -multiaudio -dd_sw -deepColor -fd -px1280 -py1024 -d -w

I will try with some resolutions, as one of you comments, to try to win some screen.

I had the problem, copied the above, changed the px and py values to 1920 x 1080 and it worked. A bit smaller, but it worked. -w is the key
Bill Goin
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You know, Microsoft has phalanxes of people occupied with the work of figuring out how to make Windows fail to function with all sorts of apps and things like this game. It really doesn't take that much for them to be successful, and they are always three or four steps in front of you. In order to play in the same field as them, we need to design apps and games and stuff that do not function under their old systems, removing the necessity for them to create new failure algorithms.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You know, Microsoft has phalanxes of people occupied with the work of figuring out how to make Windows fail to function with all sorts of apps and things like this game. It really doesn't take that much for them to be successful, and they are always three or four steps in front of you. In order to play in the same field as them, we need to design apps and games and stuff that do not function under their old systems, removing the necessity for them to create new failure algorithms.
They don't always use the phalanx.

Attachments
Mplfrmvariations.jpg
Mplfrmvariations.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Removing -dd_sw worked for me also, was expecting slow scroll speed with that change; but there has been no effect, scroll is excellent

"D:\Focus Pacific\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -x1920 -y1080
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

It's good to hear that some of you are starting to resolve the issues related to ver 1709 of Windows 10. I tried it myself and had issues before even trying WitPAE, so I've reverted to 1607 and am quite happy.

Keep in mind that utilities like Display Fusion (easier to use, but not free) or Cmdow can be used to tweak the position of the WitPAE so the title bar and window frame are hidden offscreen.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Kinda cold out today...but I'm parked across the road from the Microsoft building in my '62 Studebaker pick up with a shed set up.

Trying to sell these neat woodburned plaques as I can catch 'em coming out.

The plaques only have the one message.

"If it ain't broke...don't fix it."[8|]

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

One of the easiest things to do is to turn on deferred updates in "Advanced Options" (Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced Options). It won't hold off the updates forever, but it allows them to be "in the wild" for some time before they are deployed to your computer.

That said, I've turned off all automatic updates on my Win 10 machine and selectively do manual updates.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

One of the easiest things to do is to turn on deferred updates in "Advanced Options" (Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced Options). It won't hold off the updates forever, but it allows them to be "in the wild" for some time before they are deployed to your computer.

That said, I've turned off all automatic updates on my Win 10 machine and selectively do manual updates.

I don't need to outrun the lion...I just need to out run you...for a time, anyway, lol

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

I am no rocket scientist in this interweb thingy...

But two bits of lore I recall reading from Good Old Games.

Something to do with old Baldur's Gate (original) as I recall.
I think the most important thing is the size of the window I use is a native size for my display

Windows mode always works best when smaller than native size of display ??
Scroll Delay, mouse movement and speed of turn execution all improved when I added -SingleCpuOrders

Most these games engines were launch prior to duo-core let alone quad etc... Single CPU often works best for older games because they were designed that way ??

Not sure this is 100% accurate but both solutions work for me.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Return to “Tech Support”