Really need help w/ 1920x1080 issues

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MrDave

Really need help w/ 1920x1080 issues

Post by MrDave »

I really want to play this game on my 1920x1080 laptop.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, various command line switch combinations.

Here is my latest: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2

I would gratefully appreciate some tech guru to assist me here. I've attached my DxDiag too.

Thanks so much!
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(93.55 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
BillBrown

RE: Really need help w/ 1920x1080 issues

Post by BillBrown »

What help do you need? You have not described or shown what problem you have.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MrDave

I really want to play this game on my 1920x1080 laptop.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, various command line switch combinations.

Here is my latest: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2

I would gratefully appreciate some tech guru to assist me here. I've attached my DxDiag too.

Thanks so much!
You are probably using the wrong game icon on your desktop. The game puts one there on install, but it is the Autorun.exe shortcut which brings up a MENU, not the game.
Your switch path shows where the actual War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe file is, so go to it and make a new shortcut by right-clicking on the file and choose "Create Shortcut". Drag the shortcut to your desktop. Right click on the icon and choose "Properties". Put your switch line in there. Start the game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
belfry

Post by belfry »

I can’t see a -f or -w in your line up.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Thanks for the quick reply.
1. The issue is simply that the game does not span my 1920x1080 screen.
2. The game does load and play in original screen layout.

My attempt to fix:
1. I used the quick start shortcut to add the switches.
2. I have tried with both -f and -w: the screen would then display in either the upper left or lower right corner of the screen.
3. I don't know if there is a way to provide you an screen image. Snippet won't get it done.
Thanks. I'll play with it some more.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Here is a snippet of the screen with the -w -px1920 -py1080.
I am also updated to the final "Beta" 1.01.26 version
Attachments
witp.jpg
witp.jpg (175.48 KiB) Viewed 269 times
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

If you are trying to say that the menu screen does not fill the screen, that is normal.
Actually start a game and see what it looks like when the map is displayed.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Thanks. After getting beyond the set up screen, the actual game screen is still the standard or normal screen dimension. The mouse click has serious lag as does moving the screen with the mouse. I have tried several various switch combinations. Sadly, nothing works.

I have, I think, a fairly decent laptop. Trying to get this game to play on it is simply too frustrating at this point in time.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Don't give up yet.

The key for proper resolution is to use the -pyf and -pxf switches along with -f switch for fullscreen mode, such as:

Code: Select all

-f -pxf1920 -pyf1080
You can also change -f to -fd to add daily autosaves for your games.

For reference, I use the following switches:

Code: Select all

-wd -pxf1920 -pyf1080 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont

They stand for (1) windowed mode, daily saves (2) force "x" resolution of 1920 (3) force "y" resolution of 1080 (4) create archive save folder for use with the external utilities Tracker, Intel Monkey, and Combat Reporter (5) increase color depth of game (6) resolve audio timing issues related to multi-core processors (7) use software rendering for DirectDraw (8) use alternate font

Even though I use "windowed" mode, the game appears fullscreen to me on my primary monitor. The reason I use windowed mode is it allows me to easily switch to Tracker, Intel Monkey, Combat Reporter, and my planning map on two secondary monitors while I play. WitPAE is a game of information overload, so it really helps to have a multi-monitor environment where you can utilize tools to help you filter through information and find/prioritize what's important. To get the window positioned just right, I use the program Display Fusion to automatically move the game window 27 pixels up and 5 pixels to the left when I launch the game. That hides the title bar at the top and the little bit of window frame to the left. It essentially emulates the "borderless window" mode that you see in newer games.

Since you are on a laptop, fullscreen mode will get you the proper window alignment without the need for other programs to do it for you. Unless you start using a second monitor, you don't need to worry about rapidly switching programs.

Besides setting the resolution, -dd_sw is critical for resolving the mouse lag. Also, from a brief lookover of the Tech Support section of the forum, it looks like the latest version of Windows 10, version 1709 (aka Fall Creator's Update and Redstone 3), has thrown a wrench into the works and is creating graphics issues for WitPAE. So avoid updating to that version of Windows 10 for the time being. I believe version 1607 is the "sweet spot" for now (at least it is for me).

PS - the readme file in the WitPAE directory also has a useful, albeit slightly incomplete, reference on the switches for the game.

Edit: forgot to mention Intel Monkey along with Tracker / Combat Reporter

Return to “Tech Support”