OT: The Last Jedi

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

OT: The Last Jedi

Post by John 3rd »

OK. It is time to separate the players from the GEEKS. Who has their Stars Wars tickets for TOMORROW night?

The Cochran Clan will be watching it tomorrow night at 10:30pm. It WILL rock! I've never missed an Opening Day/Pre-Open for 40 years of this series and cannot wait for tomorrow.

Who else is going?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
JeffroK

RE: OT: The Last Jedi

Post by JeffroK »

?? My eldest saw it at 0001 this morning, are you guys on a delay over there?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

OK. It is time to separate the players from the GEEKS. Who has their Stars Wars tickets for TOMORROW night?

The Cochran Clan will be watching it tomorrow night at 10:30pm. It WILL rock! I've never missed an Opening Day/Pre-Open for 40 years of this series and cannot wait for tomorrow.

Who else is going?

I mandated my son to attend for me.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I watched the Italian premiere in Milan yesterday with my daughters.

NO SPOILERS

At 2h30m the movie is too long. I could see in real time whole scenes and subplots which should have been left on the cutting room floor. This is the movie biggest weakness.

OTOH, the last 30 mins or so were really, really tense (another reason to be left perplexed by all the unnecessary padding). There was a twist a minute: some a bit arbitrary but some really cool. Ironically, one of the best also deprived the fans of another scene that everyone was waiting for - but the rug pulling was hard with this one.

Star Wars wise it was... dunno: half and half. For sure it was not "The Empire Strikes Back". Also, the plot often relied on fortuitous coincidences and "the cavalry arrives!"-scenes which were stunningly convenient. And some scenes were "disneyfied" to the point that they made "Frozen" look like a dark and serious drama (no, the Porg were actually cute; a pleasant surprise).

The acting was quite good all around, with Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Andy Serkis (as Snoke: one day they will recognise the bravura that this guy puts in his thankless job) being on top. The direction by Ryan Johnson "grounded" the movie in pseudo-realistic ambiences. Still, Johnson also showed a lot of visual flair, even managing to film lightsaber battles in a truly original way. There are a lot of ways to use a lightsaber, and Johnson showed us how we saw only a few in the previous movies (I also liked how he mostly kept the camera away from the clashes, so that the audience could follow and admire the unique choreographies).

At the end all is good in The Last Jedi - the acting, the cinematography, the direction... except the script. When it is good, it is great. When it isn't, it is either boring and arresting, or flatly bad (it was, however, also very funny, and Domhnall Gleeson ruled as the Monthy Pythonesque General Hux [:D]). Some of the mysteries left from "The Force Awakens" are addressed - and some in a satisfactory way, some in a perplexing one (like if Ryan Johnson had a lot of material he had to address and got rid of some of it as fast as possible; it was known that J.J. Abrams, as usual, had created "mysteries" to which not even him had an answer).

All in all, it was not totally original but it was also not totally an embarrassing "copy&paste" like "The Force Awakens" (even if a couple of key moments were copy & paste).

But, at the end of the day, those last 30 minutes are really worth it.

My vote: 6/7 on 10
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Daddy Daughter Star Wars Date Day is set for Sunday.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I am starting to get the "oriental patience" of those who know how crazy big openings can be and can wait for things to settle down. Afternoon matinees during the week mean good seats and no stiff neck from looking up at the screen (or left or right).
Many years ago I was wow'd by the SFX stuff, but now I look forward to good acting by the key characters. Of course, seeing more acrobatics from Daisy Ridley is on the list of acting chops I am looking forward to!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

My son has finals starting Saturday ( who does finals on a freakin weekend?!?). Probably go next week.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

We have our tickets in hand for the premier tonight at 1900. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I keep showing up for casting calls. Last time some wise guy said "green is definitely not the new black".

Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

My wife and I are going Sunday morning. We bought the tickets 2 months ago.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

My boys are going tomorrow night. If they say it's really good, wife and I will go later. I thought the most recent two really weren't very good.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

We have our tickets in hand for the premier tonight at 1900. [8D]

I will take my wife next week (I hate the "rush" of the first week)... [:)]

BTW, this will give us opportunity to watch the "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" again before watching the new one... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Me and the kids tomorrow morning

Wife not remotely interested
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! I'm a huge fan to begin with, but I was thrilled and blown away by The Last Jedi! Quite likely my favorite of all 9 films so far. I'll be going back to the theater to see it again soon! [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

I really enjoyed Rogue One...

The best part of Rogue One was that it turned Darth Vader "back" into the villian that I knew and grew up with.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am probably going to skip this one.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My boys are going tomorrow night. If they say it's really good, wife and I will go later. I thought the most recent two really weren't very good.
From what I hear the new one has loads of special effects stuff like the last two, but the new director really made the characters come to life. So you might hate the action stuff and like the actual acting.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

i just saw it. I haven't decided if I like it yet [;)]
It does have nice refer-backs to earlier films.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I've been an SF geek from an early age. Grew up watching Star Trek and saw most if not all the SF shows of the 70s and 80s growing up. I also read SF voraciously until the internet came along. I never got into Star Wars though. I saw Episodes 4-6 once each back when they initially came out, but I haven't seen anything the franchise has produced since.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Really liked this . Went with my daughter but felt like a 14 year old for 2 1/2 hours. The director dispenses with much of the heavy , weighty B.S. and brings the humor back to the franchise. Movie is bracketed with 2 great space battles but plenty of fun and action in between. Really nice to see whole families at the movies. I was worried the little ones would get fidgety , but not a peep of fussiness but plenty of Ohhhs and ahhhs in all the right places. It's a Star Wars movie....treat yourself
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”