First turn to get guard promotions?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Kantti

First turn to get guard promotions?

Post by Kantti »

Hi! What is first turn when Soviet player can get guards divisions? Just asking as I have on turn 5 3 divisions with 8-1 win record and would love to know how long I have to protect them from encirclement before they convert to guards.
56ajax

RE: First turn to get guard promotions?

Post by 56ajax »

The rule strains my brain but I believe it is

In order for a unit to become a guards unit, the three following conditions must be met:
Condition One:

 For non-motorized units, the unit’s number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater or
equal to 8 plus random(8).(see glossary for definition of random(x))
 For motorized units, the unit's number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater or equal
to 12 plus random(12)
 For Corps HQ units, the unit's number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater or equal
to 15 plus random(15)
 For Army HQ units, the unit's number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater or equal to
75 plus random(75)
Condition Two:
 For all units, the unit's number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater than 9
Condition Three:
 For all units, the unit's number of wins plus the year modifier must be greater than 2 plus the
unit's number of losses
Year Modifier: The Year modifier is 3 in 1941, 2 in 1942 and 1 in 1943-45.

PS : Good Luck with that
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

I think there's a hard turn limit too, just can't find it from the manual. If anyone has seen Guards appear before September (turn 12), please let us know :D

Historically the first Guards Divisions were formed in September so it'd make sense to set the limit there.

Question to Morvael: could the Guards limits be made more gradual, ie. not suddendly bumping from 5% guards to 10% guards in January 1942? It's a busy New Year's Eve for good ol' Josef, handing out Guards' Badges for 100000+ riflemen!

Historical Guards division milestones:
10th Guards RD - Dec '41
20th Guards RD - Mar '42
30th Guards RD - May '42
40th Guards RD - Aug '42
50th Guards RD - Nov '42
60th Guards RD - Jan '43

Current limits:
5% => 15 divisions - Sep-Dec '41
10% => 30-40 divisions - Jan-Jun '42
17% => 60+ divisions - Jul '42 =>

Gradual percentage change would make the forming more historical, and perhaps more enjoyable when the units receive the status after actually achieving the victories. Start with 2% in Septempber '41 and grow it 0-2% per month from there?
No idea

Post by No idea »

I think you cant get them before Sept. 1941
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: No idea

If you can then I have never gotten them before Sept 41.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

ORIGINAL: Nix77

Gradual percentage change would make the forming more historical, and perhaps more enjoyable when the units receive the status after actually achieving the victories. Start with 2% in Septempber '41 and grow it 0-2% per month from there?

I think some kind of gradual increase would be a great idea
Dreamslayer

Post by Dreamslayer »

Historically first divisons gain guard status on 18 September,1941.
It was 4 Rifle divisions for the Battle of Smolensk.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Dreamslayer

It was 4 Rifle divisions for the Battle of Smolensk.

I thought it was the 100th Division that received the 1st Guard designation :). Going to have to go look it up now what the other 3 were ;-)
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Dreamslayer

Post by Dreamslayer »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

I thought it was the 100th Division that received the 1st Guard designation :). Going to have to go look it up now what the other 3 were ;-)
By NKO Order #308 ,18 Sep 1941 (text in russian):
100th => 1st Gd
127th => 2nd Gd
153th => 3rd Gd
161th => 4th Gd

56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: No idea

Well if you look at the rule and if you assume a unit on average only has one win per turn then it is 11 weeks before the first Guards can appear so, yes sometime in September...
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Kantti

Post by Kantti »

But as said, I am wondering if there is hard coded date limit or is it possible to get guards earlier. Just asking as I had 3 division stack that withstood 8 desperate hasty attacks (would have enabled bit kessel, so I understand why the attacks. Odds weren't that bad, but I had Zhukov in place) and now have 9-1 and 8-1 win ratios on turn 5. When just reading the rules, it would seem that as soon as random is 1-4, they'd get promoted IF there is no date limit.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”