Axis PBEM AAR (MIRROR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jjdenver

Axis PBEM AAR (MIRROR)

Post by jjdenver »

I have read with great interest many of the AAR's on this forum. So I want to try to "give back" by doing an AAR or two of my own. This is such a great game that it deserves to get more players involved so maybe AAR's will help generate that interest. [:)]

I'm going to write a more "summarized" AAR not a blow by blow AAR. I don't have the time for a detailed AAR now and my time will be even scarcer in 2018 so a summary AAR is all I can manage. It will hopefully also be more read-able than some of the AAR games that are played out on the forum blow by blow question by question.

I've played WIF on and off since 1985 as a boardgame and using Cyberboard/Vassal. I even attended a WIFCON in Providence RI once. I think at some point I was pretty competent in some version of WIF but I've honestly forgotten most of what I used to know. I hadn't WIF'ed in many years until the last few months when I noticed that MWIF seemed to be pretty mature and decided to buy and and start to play again. I've tried to "re-learn" most of what I used to know about WIF and some of my memories of the game and strategies have returned. [X(]

I really love MWIF. The huge map is outstanding compared to the boardgame map scale in Asia/Pacific/Africa/Mideast. I also like the enforcement of rules by the game. Many times while playing boardgame or vassal/cyberboard I've realized that I've played a rule wrong or my opponents have. With MWIF it's all built in and simple. The only problem I have with MWIF is that the convoy system is broken so you have to "fix" CW builds each build phase. But this only happens 36 times per game so not a huge deal.:)

The game of WIF is my favorite game and probably always will remain so. The interplay of economy, air, land, sea is unmatched in any other game I've run across and I've played a _lot_ of boardgames and PC games. It's not perfect but it's extremely deep and lots of fun to play. I'm also a fan of the WIF7 game more than the newer WIF8 which I'm playing a bit by Vassal. I think for the most part (with the possible exceptions of making it too easy for Axis to take Gib and align Spain without negative USE ramifications to offset it....and China being a little too easy to conquer....and Soviets being a little too easy to push off Euro map) MWIF/WIF7 gets it "right." So I don't mind at all that MWIF will be forever stuck at WIF7.

I always learn a lot reading AAR's. I'm going to give what I consider to be some really potent tips from the Axis POV (experienced guys will already know these I'm sure but probably not new or maybe intermediate players) but I'm not going to call them out as tips...I'll just let an astute reader absorb them if they can. I have spent a lot of time and brainpower(and my brainpower is in short supply as it is) to think through various strategies in the game and to read about how others carry them out and their thoughts on them and to ask questions on various forums and in emails and PM's. I can't credit everyone but my understanding of the game has really benefited from the help of players like brian, centuur, dabrion, jorge, John Hammond, and others. [&o] I'll mention some things I'm doing as Axis that I think can help to tip the game in Axis favor. There are also many things I'm not sure about as Axis (and allies of course) so I'm sure my play will only improve with time.

I'm playing against Ronnie. Ronnie was one of 3 guys who mod'ed CEAW which was a very good euro-focused WW2 game that was heavily mod'ed. I really enjoyed it. So I was happy to be able to pick up a couple of WIF games with Ronnie beginning in I think Sep or Oct 2017. Ronnie is really smart and analytical but is new to WIF. So his play is improving rapidly as he gains experience in the game. He's also a gentleman and a great sport. Neither of us are playing for blood, just for enjoyment and to have an interesting game so it's a good matchup. [8D] His game vs Pat was his first game vs a human and I think my game with him as allies (he played Axis) was his 2nd. It was also my first game of WIF in many years so I had a lot to re-learn. That game is at the end of 1941 and maybe I'll create an AAR for it eventually.

Now we have kicked off this mirror game where I'm Axis and he's taking allies. We are using a few house rules:
1) If any of the conditions for JP-SU mandatory peace are fulfilled that side can call for peace to be enforced. If this happens neither side can attack the other for 12 turns (2 years) and if SU calls the peace they have to give up Asia map possession entirely (move out so JP can walk into them). On the 13th turn the war can re-commence.
2) We wanted to simulate isolated reorg (which isn't coded in the game yet) in China so we have a house rule that if any unit in China finds itself isolated and flipped at end of a turn, it has to try to go back to its own lines. This will prevent things like JP units marching to lan-chow through the desert even though it can't trace a line of controlled hexes back to its own territory.
3) This isn't a house rule, but we both understand that the convoy system is broken in MWIF so CW production has to get "fixed" each turn by editing the game file during production. This can also happen for other countries but mainly affects CW. We fix any country that needs it during build phase. We just make sure oil saved is correct and then don't spend the hours that could be spent on routing convoys that always end up with CW production incorrect anyway. We create audit-able logs of what's shipped and produced so that we can be sure things are working correctly.

We play with what I consider the most efficient setup for playing MWIF. We use dropbox to share files back and forth. We use whatsapp to be able to ask questions of each other.

So for example if Ronnie wants to launch a search in West Med and I'm at a birthday party with the family, he can message me on whatsapp to ask me if I want to react any air or which ship I want to take a loss on or how I want to use surprise. I can see it on my phone and he can send a pic there if needed. I can get him a quick answer. This keeps things moving along quickly and prevents the frustration of having to do an impulse with many stops and starts. Generally speaking we can each go straight through our impulses while getting reactions from the other to avoid delay even if the other is pretty busy and not sitting at a computer.

We also have authorized each other to make decisions for the other to keep the game flowing. So I can choose which ship is lost, or whether a plane flies to 0 box to cover, or whether to choose asslt or blitz on a combat, etc. We don't have to do this too much but sometimes we do it when the other is totally unable to answer questions. It keeps the game moving along and in the big picture I think is a good way to progress the game without really changing the big picture. I know Ronnie usually chooses blitz table when defending in China and he knows I usually choose assault table for my Chinese for example. And many of the decisions in the game are almost no-brainers so no need to pause to wait for a response about trivial stuff. We also issue pre-instructions when appropriate. So I might tell Ronnie in advance that if he searches and finds my IT CA's in E Med I'll fight 1 round of combat then abort out of the sz. This way I can go to bed and he can piddle on with the impulse without me having to be available.

The important thing is to keep the game enjoyable and easy to play rather than get too overwrought about tiny details. [;)]

As a side note I make all of my game rolls (other than an occasional round of partisan rolls because there are a lot of those and it's a bit of a hassle) in ACTS die roller then enter them into the game. I really like doing it this way because it makes it clear that the rolls are fair and also it keeps a log of rolls so you can go back to look at what was rolled in case you have to re-create a situation for some reason. Say I run through a naval combat and my opponent isn't avail and I make a few decisions for him - maybe which ship to take a loss on. Then he mentions that he wouldn't take the loss on Hipper he'd take it on Bismarck. All I have to do is go back to the roller and use the rolls in the log to re-create the combat but switch which ship takes the roll from Hipper to Bismarck. Voila - situation recreated perfectly without having to remember each roll that happened. I highly recommend using ACTS for your games.

As I make this first post our game is nearing end of MA 40 and I've asked my opponent not to read this thread since I'll be laying out my strategy in here. As a sneak peek, I'll say that Axis has only had 2 clear weather impulses all game so that will give you an idea of where things are going by MA 40 - that is to say not very well for Euroaxis. [:(]

Here is a pic of optionals we are using in our game.

Attachments
optionals.jpg
optionals.jpg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 491 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Mayhemizer_slith

RE: JJ(Axis) PBEM AAR

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

Following this one too [:)]
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Going into the game my general axis strategy will be:

JP: build 1 or 2 Synth in 39/40. Focus initially on land builds to go after China hard then turn to naval builds heavily by end of 40. Many of the small CV's won't be ready for war with W-Allies but that should be ok as I'm not even sure they worth the BP's spent to build them and oil spent to sail them. Set up to DOW CW at end of 41 and US in early 42. JP will rely heavily on LBA vs US and try to take the perimeter (Rabaul, NEI, etc) while going after India with the army. SU will also be attacked in summer 42.

IT: Try to take Algeria +Corsica before France falls then try to take out Greece to align Yugoslavia then support Barbarossa with airpower while defending in Med.

GE: Knock out Netherlands+Belgium+Denmark in 39 if I can. Take Polish resources then grind away to take Warsaw hopefully by JF 40. Vichy France by JA 40. Prepare for Barb 41 to begin in MA 41 but tailor builds so that the main German effort will come in 42. This means for example building a Synth early and delaying most heavy builds (tank, LND3) to arrive by MA 42. Barbarossa 41 will be done on a budget rather than as a kitchen sink strategy. The Wermacht and Luftwaffe will not be overpowered in 41 but hopefully I'll have enough to hurt the Soviets, gain the Dnieper and factory line then perhaps knock out Rostov in winter 41. I'm going for efficiency with Germany. For example I'm not building any LND3's until I can scrap the bad 1937 and earlier LND3's in 1940. This will set the stage for a larger offensive in MA 42. Germany will build up a NAV+FTR force to give the allies trouble at sea in 41 and 42 and hopefully 43/44 also. SUBs will be mostly ignored as will Euro-Axis ship building.

Here is setup for Japan with planned advances in white. The plan is to push both sides of Changsha to shut down that production center and take it for JP while inflicting losses on Natchi. I want to grind down Natchi to keep them from forming a strong mountain line. The goal is Chungking by summer 41. Then perhaps defensive vs Chicom for the rest of the war while strat bombing Lanchow & Sian.

Attachments
game start..h arrows.jpg
game start..h arrows.jpg (427.63 KiB) Viewed 490 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

In China, JP will follow a strategy of starting with an offensive against the south while there is good weather in N Monsoon and rolling that offensive north when the summer of 40 arrives to bring good weather in N Temperate.

SU setup 3 units in Vlad, and setup to take Persia so there is not a lot of worry about an offensive into Manchuria. [:-] A few units will be left in Manchuria/Korea (mostly TER I think) and HQI, CAV, MOT, MIL will march south to face the Chicom.

In Europe the brits set up to take Wavell to France (TRS on Wavell in Alexandria). I thought long and hard about going after Egypt but I want to try a Barb 41 in this game (my first ever as Germany I think even after years of WIF). Egypt is a long way to reach for Italy anyway in 1940 as they don't have a lot of assets to use and Germany needs its assets in France. So I'll ignore Egypt even without Wavell and march on Tunis instead. [:D]

I set up poorly (in hindsight) with the Germans. I put too much against the low countries and not enough against Poland. If I planned to drive for Paris in 39 then my setup should have been a little heavier in the west. If I only wanted Netherlands and perhaps Belgium in 39 then I put too much in the west I think. This made Poland tougher than it should have been for Germany. But it's my first game as Germany as this is how I learn - make mistakes. [X(]

The plan in Poland is to take the resources and rails to transport them out first then once that's accomplished assault Lodz.

Units will also be in place to go after Netherlands on the Axis 3rd impulse of the turn. As it turned out I think Axis only got 3 impulses in SO 39.

Note that my 2-6 SP-AT division is set up to take Copenhagen but because the rail line does a zigzag that I didn't notice (see red arrow) was unable to reach Copenhagen during rain and thus prevented me from attacking during the 3rd and final Axis impulse of SO 39 when I wanted to attack Denmark. I had to delay it to ND 39.

The wp 7-4 GE INF in Austria is set to march into Trieste so that it can be shipped off to N Africa when Italy enters the war. The plan with Italy is to DOW France only in SO or ND 39.

Attachments
game start..h arrows.jpg
game start..h arrows.jpg (614.87 KiB) Viewed 490 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

Great to see another AAR.

If you are comfortable with editing the game file (which it seems you are if you are 'fixing' CP production), you could fully enforce Isolated Reorganisation by going in and changing the status or isolated units back to disorganised.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

By the way: the convoy system works quite OK at the moment. The only thing which has a bug in it, is the allocation of the original factories for a traded build points. So there should not be a reason to modify the game anymore for production planning...
Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Thanks for posting!

It does help to note where the state of game play is in the screen shots, for commenting without giving help for the future. In other words, only commenting on the water that has already gone past the bridge.
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

ORIGINAL: Centuur
By the way: the convoy system works quite OK at the moment. The only thing which has a bug in it, is the allocation of the original factories for a traded build points. So there should not be a reason to modify the game anymore for production planning...

Unfortunately there is a major problem with convoys. I can send a save game file to show you. You won't be able to get through production planning and build phase without the convoys failing to deliver resources properly to the UK. It's easy enough to replicate. Just set up a game, lay out Brit convoys with the min needed to deliver resources and you'll see the problem occur.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

ORIGINAL: brian brian
Thanks for posting!
It does help to note where the state of game play is in the screen shots, for commenting without giving help for the future. In other words, only commenting on the water that has already gone past the bridge.
Neither of us really care about outside advice being offered. We both want to improve our play and understanding of the game. We aren't worried so much about who wins this game, just that it's an interesting match for both of us and we are hoping it stays close into 1945 so we can see endgame. Feel free to message Ronnie with any advice you like as long as it isn't predicated on knowledge of Axis plans gained by reading this thread. Ronnie won't be reading this thread. The game is currently rolling into end of MA 40 and Belgium just fell on a snow impulse.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Good that you are planning a Barb'41, since ITPOTE turns the German fleet into a Baltic Fleet. I've personally never had the guts to do a "budget Barbarossa" (which I think is historical[:D])...interesting to see how that turns out.

Chunking is ambitious for Japan!...as are its other goals...good luck!

FYI: I normally set up weak-ish vs Poland...so long as you get the resources out, over-run the fleet, you are ok.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Completeley with you on the Poland objectives! Imho there is not much else to be gotten (but hat is ofc Illlulminati conzense ;P)
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I am just reading that under the influence... wow! did "I" do that ...
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
TeaLeaf

Post by TeaLeaf »

Apart from the axis (Japanese) plans:

China needs to change its defense style very quickly.
Even if China defends 2 units per hex minimum it's hard to stay alive, but 1 unit per hex is a guaranteed defeat [:(].

As far as the convoys concerned: what version are you playing?
I have no convoy-problems whatsoever atm (but I am only in J/F '40 in my current game), version 2.7.1.

Well good gaming anyway, have fun!
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

China needs to change its defense style very quickly.
Even if China defends 2 units per hex minimum it's hard to stay alive, but 1 unit per hex is a guaranteed defeat

I think the strategy in China was to screen initially. China falls back pretty quickly but a double move helps JP start to put a hurt on China along with some attacks near Changsha (sneak peek about what happens)

re: JP plans. I realize I may not be able to carry out what I lay out in my plans so if it doesn't make sense in 42 I'll just hole up with a defensive shell rather than being too aggressive and exposing my fleet to a lot of damage. More important with my JP will be to defend against US after taking the perimeter. Any offensives vs the Brits are 2nd priority to grabbing US perimeter and holding it with land units and LBA. And preserving JP CV's is high priority. I want to prevent US CV ascendancy as long as possible although I know it'll happen. If JP can knock out Natchi, get everything east of Chita from SU, and defend well vs the US then I think that's fine because JP isn't going to win the war. It'll be decided in Russia.

re: Barb on a budget. 41 will be on a mini-budget but I think by 42 it'll be very strong and I don't think Russia is decided in 41, I think it's decided in 42. I want to setup for 42 by using an O-Chit in 41 to cross the Dnieper, take Stalino, take Smolensk, surround Leningrad, cut off Murmansk. Then in 42 I'll drive for Caucasus. I doubt I'll ever assault Leningrad. It doesn't seem to be worth it. The reasons I'd say it's "mini-budget" in 41 is that I'll spend 7 on a synth in 39, and try to leave some GE air (4+ range FTR, a few NAV) to help Italy in the Med. It's not super budget, just mini-budget.

re: France. Since I built the Synth turn 1 I won't build the HQA in JF 40. Instead I'll build it summer 40 to be ready for Barb 41. This will let me build other stuff that will arrive in MJ/JA 40 (planes, INF, ART, MIL, MECH). I also plan to throw an O-chit in MJ 40 in France to break things open. My thinking is that an HQA arriving SO 40 is less useful than other stuff arriving MJ 40 and JA 40. By building Synth SO 39 (-7BP) and not building HQA JF 40 (+8BP) I'm actuallly +1 BP in France in MJ 40 and JA 40. I say this because I see a lot of Germans build the HQA in JA 40. Maybe many also don't build it, I'm not sure. France will be hard no matter how I slice it though since I know there will be 6 CW units defending the 2-3 hexes along the coast so the French front will be compressed. I've just got to hope that some Italian air support, the O-chit, and the para can help me break the French front in MJ 40. Some good news is that I drew the IT 6 range LND3 that can also air transport. So maybe I can run him up to France in summer 40 to get in 2 paradrops per turn.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

SO 39 Euro theatre
GE had only 1 HQ facing Poland and first impulse activity was fairly limited. The CAV in woods NE of Warsaw was eliminated on a +16. Poznan fell on a +17. The DIV in forest south of Poznan was crushed on a +16. Italian TRS went to Red Sea to grab the corp there. Generally the Wermacht just cleaned up to prepare for an assault on Lodz and hopes for a good weather impulse to launch the assault. [:'(]

In the allied impulse i2 Wavell sailed to BoB [:@] while large RN naval elements including CV's and an embarked DIV sailed into W Med. FR SCS also sailed into It Coast.

The weather turned nasty in German i3 (rain) and on their 2nd impulse i5 the CW and FR DOW'ed Italy. The RN launched a port attack on La Spezia that resulted in a damaged TRS and some aborted Regia Marina ships. Italian AA was pretty effective and the TRS saved being sunk. A CW DIV also landed north of Cagliari on Sardinia and a French DIV in north Sardinia to take Olbia.

Uh-oh, CW is about to sew up Sardinia which would be a big deal since it's tough for Axis to take it back, it's one of only a few IT resource hexes, and it's a great airbase to use against It Coast and Italy proper. Luckily, the IT MTN corp was already broken down so the Regia Marina sortied a large task force into It Coast carrying a DIV and MTNDIV. There is a small naval battle with the French but the DIV and MTNDIV are successfully landed in Cagliari. [:-]

The battle for Sardinia and the Med now becomes a focus for the Euro Axis and a German FTR is sent to Genoa to assist. Italian and German air patrol the W Med but can't find the RN task force lurking there nor the convoy lines that are run through the Med to France. There is a convoy line of 3 cp's in E Med and W Med and Italy would love to shut that down to reduce French builds but is unable to find in the 2 impulses it's able to try to search W Med. Unfortunately the turn ends on a 1 roll after the 3rd Axis impulse (i1,i3,i7) and the French get lots of resources through the Med.

CW has started the game off aggressive, going right after Italy, sending Wavell to France, and landing in Sardinia. Things would be even worse if the IT TRS was sunk, but luckily it's only damaged. Here's a screen of how Med looks at EOT SO 39.

Attachments
MedEOT.jpg
MedEOT.jpg (198.65 KiB) Viewed 491 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

SO 39 Euro Theatre continued:

Germany is happy to see i7 turn up with clear weather. Germany DOW's Netherlands and marches in a large invasion force. The KM also sails in force into the N Sea carrying 2 GE divisions where a powerful task force of RN and FR ships is patrolling. The Luftwaffe is able to provide some air cover with a NAV3. The KM tries to elude the RN task force but is found in 2 consecutive rounds of combat. The first round is a 1-9 search split in favor of CW and the 2nd a 3-4 search split in favor of CW. In the first round 2 GE CA's are sunk while the Duguay Trouin is the only allied ship to suffer damage. The brave French cruiser saves an X on a 10 then succumbs to damage and is sunk. In the 2nd round the CW don't have enough surprise to get in close for more surface action so the Luftwaffe bombers are able to fend off the RN. The KM finally slips through to land the divisions in Rotterdam. [;)]

The assault on Amsterdam is +14 and once successful it reduces the notional defense in Rotterdam so that attack moves from only a +9 up to a +18 which is also successful. Luftwaffe port strikes on the Dutch fleet were not successful (Allies roll 1 on surp dice) but the Wermacht manages to overrun a cp and a cruiser in port. [:D]

Because GE had to take a combined to invade Rotterdam nothing happened in Poland - a waste of a clear impulse. This would be the 2nd and last clear impulse Germany would get until MJ 40. [:@] With Holland crushed the Germany army is eager to invade Belgium and take Lodz in the next impulse but unfortunately the turn ends on a 1 so it's not to be. [:(]

Germany was unable to DOW Denmark in i3 because of poor setup (see the aforementioned mistake with the 2-6 AT division), then unable to DOW in i7 because of limited land moves that were needed for Holland. Fortunately, French naval task force searching in the Baltic missed the German cp's there.

A couple of panzer corps were ordered to move east toward Poland in i3 because the GE high command began to 2nd guess whether it would have enough troops in Poland to knock it out before summer 40. Here is Germany at EOT SO 39.

Attachments
GEEOT.jpg
GEEOT.jpg (248.24 KiB) Viewed 490 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

SO 39 Japan

Japanese forces from Manchuria move south to prepare for an assault on the Chinese city of Chengchow. But the major action is in the south where Umezu moves toward Changsha. But Japanese airpower and artillery is unable to successfully ground strike any of the Chinese units defending in the mountains east of Changsha so no attack can be launched.

Farther south Yamamoto lands and moves inland from Canton and Hainan. The Chinese screening corps move north quickly but the Kunming MIL unit is caught in the mountains near Hengyang and crushed. The EOT on their 3rd impulse puts a stop to the Japanese advance.

Here is China theatre at end of SO 39. A double move (axis move last in SO 39 and first in ND 39) will put the Chinese in a bad situation as Nanning is open and there is only 1 unit defending Hengyang when SO 39 ends. 1 more allied impulse to allow Chiang Kai Shek to move east from his mountain stronghold would have changed the entire course of the war in China but it was not to be.

Attachments
ChinaatEOT.jpg
ChinaatEOT.jpg (248.7 KiB) Viewed 490 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Here are losses for SO 39. Not shown here are a few damaged ships including the IT TRS.

Attachments
EOTlosses.jpg
EOTlosses.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 490 times
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver
ORIGINAL: Centuur

Unfortunately there is a major problem with convoys. I can send a save game file to show you. You won't be able to get through production planning and build phase without the convoys failing to deliver resources properly to the UK. It's easy enough to replicate. Just set up a game, lay out Brit convoys with the min needed to deliver resources and you'll see the problem occur.

I have done so about two months ago and was able to get full production for the CW at the first preliminary production planning phase of the game using a normal convoy line setup (with convoys both in Bay of Biscay and FarOes Gap). So there is probably something you are doing wrong here.
Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Screen shots - what we love are screen shots. Of the land action; we've seen a few screen shots of minor naval battles over the years now.

Germany can take out The Netherlands in a Rain impulse, but they have to set up very carefully to do it. The deeper they consider the idea, the trickier it gets. A Rain impulse can give them an extra 10% chance of slipping a division past the Royal Navy though. And in the rain, they might even want to bring their TRS out into the North Sea with them, if playing with Limited Overseas Supply.

Normally I would expect 2 SCS loaded with Infantry to get hit by combat results after a 1/9 search split, via the "Select Target" option of spending surprise points.

Return to “After Action Report”