CSV newbie queries

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
vinnie71

RE: CSV newbie queries

Post by vinnie71 »

Does anyone know what 'Request US replacements' actually delivers? ie what replacements get increased?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: vinnie71

Does anyone know what 'Request US replacements' actually delivers? ie what replacements get increased?
Would have to look at the editor/event I am afraid... if you want, I can do, without spoiling our gaming experience... but perhaps Curt can let you know as well.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Thanks! I'm asking because let's face it, the price is pretty steep... Ok 1 EEV but every point counts!
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Thanks! I'm asking because let's face it, the price is pretty steep... Ok 1 EEV but every point counts!

Vince,

better wait for Curt... I haven't got CSV in my folders LOL

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Sure thanks!
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

"I've got a copy of either version of CSV and I don't mind checking out
your events for you."

So um......did you want to post a saved game for me to look at?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

thanks, much appreciated
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

So um......did you want to post a saved game for me to look at?
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

i have a question on the csv in the mod and scenario section....is that scenario good to play or does it have errors?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: bde4soldier223
I have a question on the CSV in the mod and scenario section....is that scenario good to play or does it have errors?
It turns out that the problem was in the game engine. Which has been patched now to 4.0.1.22 and the scenario
is ready to go and always has been. No worries.
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

thank you. i will download it and added to my collection :)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It looks like to me that requesting US replacements doesn't deliver anything and moreover adds one to
the EEV when you ask.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (202.79 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Requesting additional U.S. replacements does indeed dump extra replacements into the pool. Choosing the TO will increase the EEV. At the same time, one of the events in the block 376-382 will disband a replacement unit from the 22nd replacement group. Each TO selected will put the following extra replacements into the pool:

50 assualt squad
1 recon assualt squad
1 assault at
10 heavy rifle
2 hvy rifle at
2 recon rifle
3 MP squads
15 106mm rcl
20 60mm mortar
6 M100 sp mortar
6 M125 sp mortar
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Raindem

Requesting additional U.S. replacements does indeed dump extra replacements into the pool. Choosing the TO will increase the EEV. At the same time, one of the events in the block 376-382 will disband a replacement unit from the 22nd replacement group. Each TO selected will put the following extra replacements into the pool:

50 assualt squad
1 recon assualt squad
1 assault at
10 heavy rifle
2 hvy rifle at
2 recon rifle
3 MP squads
15 106mm rcl
20 60mm mortar
6 M100 sp mortar
6 M125 sp mortar
OOOOOOooooooohhhh. I missed that block of events I guess. Thanks Curt.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

ORIGINAL: Raindem

50 assualt squad
1 recon assualt squad
1 assault at
10 heavy rifle
2 hvy rifle at
2 recon rifle
3 MP squads
15 106mm rcl
20 60mm mortar
6 M100 sp mortar
6 M125 sp mortar
OOOOOOooooooohhhh. I missed that block of events I guess. Thanks Curt.

Thanks for the clarification as it makes the game even more interesting... and the choices harder!
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Vince,

better wait for Curt... I haven't got CSV in my folders LOL

Klink, Oberst

Actually Vince I would avoid using the US Replacements theater option. The cost is not worth what you receive. The replacements you get are less than 2 battalions worth of ground troops. Compare that to the number of ground troops and support equipment you would receive for bringing in one Independent Brigade (which also cost one EEV point). US divisions can be activated at a cost of 3 EEV. That's 3 times what a replacement option would cost you but any US division would provide much more than 6 times the ground troops and many additional combat and support units.

Yes some of your infantry battalions will become under strength and brittle over time. But if your unit strength have fallen far enough for you to consider using a replacement option then the small dribble of replacements placed by the game engine will not fix your manpower problem. The replacements may not even go to the unit you most want to get them.

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Original: Narses
Actually Vince I would avoid using the US Replacements theater option. The cost is not worth what you receive. The replacements you get are less than 2 battalions worth of ground troops. Compare that to the number of ground troops and support equipment you would receive for bringing in one Independent Brigade (which also cost one EEV point). US divisions can be activated at a cost of 3 EEV. That's 3 times what a replacement option would cost you but any US division would provide much more than 6 times the ground troops and many additional combat and support units.

Yes some of your infantry battalions will become under strength and brittle over time. But if your unit strength have fallen far enough for you to consider using a replacement option then the small dribble of replacements placed by the game engine will not fix your manpower problem. The replacements may not even go to the unit you most want to get them.

What he said. Meaning: I concur.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

So using the different formations available to the allies is understood. However, what I can't understand is how the VC can trigger the events that give them points. do they activate them through -

a) simply by being in a province?

No. They have to actually convert a hex in a SVN province from FWA control to NLF control.
b) by approaching the urban centres? (within a certain radius?)

There is a grain of truth in this. Each province in SVN has one or more oval shaped area in the province in which the converted hexes trigger a percentage chance to score a victory point. These may or may not be centered on urban areas. Short of looking in the events in the scenario file you can't really know. It is easiest and very effective to just consider any hex the VC can convert a potential VP.
c) by possessing more hexes than the Allies?

No
How can the Allies win victory points (besides the economic aid)? I've destroyed VC units and even NVA divisions but nothing happens. The VC is activating 4 to 6 events per turn, racking up a huge tally rapidly. Many times they are the same provinces over and over again.

If you inflict enough losses to the NLF you can score some VPs. The numbers have to be very high. The NLF can tolerate heavy losses and those VPs can disappear as losses are replaced so you have to maintain the pressure. Don't expect killing VC or NVA to produce more than temporary VP advantages.

You do have to destroy NLF units. You need to clear provinces. If you cannot kill an enemy unit in SVN then surround it so it cannot convert another hex next turn. Just damaging a enemy or retreating it does nothing to impact the pacification battle.

You will gain 1-3 VPs automatically each turn for the US pacification program which is assumed to be going on in ARVN controlled hexes.

As mentioned earlier the theater option for Economic Aid will give one VP a turn. This costs 1 EEV every five turns. Everyone should use Economic Aid for at least 4 turns for four VPs. This costs nothing. If you hit the 5th turn after activating it that costs you the first EEV point. Then you can keep it another 4 turns and still get your 4 free VP. Keep it as many turns as you think you can afford the EEV cost but always keep it for 4 turns of free VP after you pay an EEV point.

Example: Economic Aid selected on turn 4. The effects and the count begin on turn 5. The most efficient turns to cancel the theater option (TO) woud be on turns 9, 13, 18, or 23...and so on.

Don't start it if you don't need to. Knowing when you need to is the trick.

I usually start it if the NLF is approaching 10VP. If you can hold the NLF below 10 or more VP it is smart to have Economic aid running you can stop the NLF from costing you 1 EEV every 2 turns at a cost of 1 EEV every 5 turns It hurts but less. Another time to start it is if you are good or lucky enough to be getting close to 60+ VP in your favor. The automatic VPs you get for pacification will drop off at the point. The Econ aid will help get you and hold you into one of the few ways you can actually reduce your EEV count.
BTW when VC units are destroyed, I'm under the impression that they reconstitute on the Trail, right? Or do they reconstitute in the province?

The local VC (Battalions and political cadres) are tied to their home provinces. The main force VC regiments respawn in their home provinces or the trail. The VC divisions and (I think) some regiments respawn on the trail. Guerillas will respawn in enemy controlled territory (your territory in this case) as well as their own and in this scenario I believe they will respawn in nearby hexes if you occupy their original spawn hex (or the trail?)

vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Original: Narses

What he said. Meaning: I concur.

Indeed. That is the dilemma that I have. Being something of a US independent brigade aficionado by now [:)], I find it hard to spend a point like that. Also, such replacements do not necessarily cover all losses (with some units like the Marines taking some pretty heavy losses at Khe Sanh for example due to NVA attacks), as army and marines use different TOEs, making it even more difficult to use this option (in a way).
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Narses

So using the different formations available to the allies is understood. However, what I can't understand is how the VC can trigger the events that give them points. do they activate them through -

a) simply by being in a province?

No. They have to actually convert a hex in a SVN province from FWA control to NLF control.
b) by approaching the urban centres? (within a certain radius?)

There is a grain of truth in this. Each province in SVN has one or more oval shaped area in the province in which the converted hexes trigger a percentage chance to score a victory point. These may or may not be centered on urban areas. Short of looking in the events in the scenario file you can't really know. It is easiest and very effective to just consider any hex the VC can convert a potential VP.
c) by possessing more hexes than the Allies?

No
How can the Allies win victory points (besides the economic aid)? I've destroyed VC units and even NVA divisions but nothing happens. The VC is activating 4 to 6 events per turn, racking up a huge tally rapidly. Many times they are the same provinces over and over again.

If you inflict enough losses to the NLF you can score some VPs. The numbers have to be very high. The NLF can tolerate heavy losses and those VPs can disappear as losses are replaced so you have to maintain the pressure. Don't expect killing VC or NVA to produce more than temporary VP advantages.

You do have to destroy NLF units. You need to clear provinces. If you cannot kill an enemy unit in SVN then surround it so it cannot convert another hex next turn. Just damaging a enemy or retreating it does nothing to impact the pacification battle.

You will gain 1-3 VPs automatically each turn for the US pacification program which is assumed to be going on in ARVN controlled hexes.

As mentioned earlier the theater option for Economic Aid will give one VP a turn. This costs 1 EEV every five turns. Everyone should use Economic Aid for at least 4 turns for four VPs. This costs nothing. If you hit the 5th turn after activating it that costs you the first EEV point. Then you can keep it another 4 turns and still get your 4 free VP. Keep it as many turns as you think you can afford the EEV cost but always keep it for 4 turns of free VP after you pay an EEV point.

Example: Economic Aid selected on turn 4. The effects and the count begin on turn 5. The most efficient turns to cancel the theater option (TO) woud be on turns 9, 13, 18, or 23...and so on.

Don't start it if you don't need to. Knowing when you need to is the trick.

I usually start it if the NLF is approaching 10VP. If you can hold the NLF below 10 or more VP it is smart to have Economic aid running you can stop the NLF from costing you 1 EEV every 2 turns at a cost of 1 EEV every 5 turns It hurts but less. Another time to start it is if you are good or lucky enough to be getting close to 60+ VP in your favor. The automatic VPs you get for pacification will drop off at the point. The Econ aid will help get you and hold you into one of the few ways you can actually reduce your EEV count.
BTW when VC units are destroyed, I'm under the impression that they reconstitute on the Trail, right? Or do they reconstitute in the province?

The local VC (Battalions and political cadres) are tied to their home provinces. The main force VC regiments respawn in their home provinces or the trail. The VC divisions and (I think) some regiments respawn on the trail. Guerillas will respawn in enemy controlled territory (your territory in this case) as well as their own and in this scenario I believe they will respawn in nearby hexes if you occupy their original spawn hex (or the trail?)

Thanks for the heads up especially regarding the spawning of VC units. Funnily enough, the biggest irritant seem to be the politicals as they are difficult to detect and have to be chased halfway through the province. One (rather gamey tactic I admit) that I practice is to push them a hex and if there are any units capable of air assault, I just drop them on their heads. The independent ARVN para battalion and rangers seem to do the trick nicely.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”