Some questions about FSB, posture, aggressiveness, etc...

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.
xavutrecht

Some questions about FSB, posture, aggressiveness, etc...

Post by xavutrecht »

Hi,
I am currently playing the German side, turn 8, and I have a few general questions to the old grognards.

How often do you relocate the FSBs?
Having the FSB matching the general advance pace seemed a good idea to keep the truck drivers happy but it also have a huge impact on fuel stocks, thus slowing down the PzGs.

When do you switch posture?
8 turns, a month into the offensive, and the blitzkrieg pace is taking its toll.

How aggressive are you?
Do you go forward full speed or do you aim for destroying as many as enemy units as possible?
The German destroyed 10 HQs and 95 Divs, but it doesn't seem enough. I am now facing a lot of Soviet units especially in front of Smolensk.

Any advice?
Xavier
Erzac

RE: Some questions about FSB, posture, aggressiveness, etc...

Post by Erzac »

How often do you relocate the FSBs?
FSB movement in the early game is quite tricky and there's really no perfect time to do it. Generally it's a good idea to keep up with the PZG's. Just try to time it so that you're not in the middle of maneuvers that require lots of fuel in the upcoming few turns, such as beginning a significant breakthrough. Later on it's a bit easier, as the PZG's will also need rest and refit, which can be well timed with the FSB movement.

When do you switch posture?
Bluntly put, I don't. Except when 2nd Army HQ arrives -> I switch it to blitzkrieg posture.

Why?
Blitzkrieg posture and the attack bonus that comes with it is a significant advantage. Once you start running into those entrenched soviets in neutral or defensive stance, you will need that advantage.
Sustained offensive posture will inevitably result in higher casualties when attacking, as well as less damage being dealt to the soviets. This also results in combats taking longer(more combat rounds, more AP used), thus making breakthroughs much harder.
Fatigue can be handled much easier than the disadvantages caused by not using blitzkrieg posture. In my opinion anyway.

Do you go forward full speed or do you aim for destroying as many as enemy units as possible?
In the early turns the two go very much hand in hand. Fast divisions push forward and the following infantry mops up the leftover soviets.

At some point you'll eventually run into a more entrenched position with lots of troops that you can't just roll through, regardless of how many divisions you've managed to destroy so far. You might have to prepare for a few turns for breaking through said position, moving units around, letting readiness recover etc. And then you'll have to punch through, with the aim to encircle and destroy as many enemy formations as possible.
xavutrecht

RE: Some questions about FSB, posture, aggressiveness, etc...

Post by xavutrecht »

Thanks very much for this detailed answer.[&o]

Back to the game!
Xavier

Return to “The War Room”