tyronec (Axis) vs Grognard1812. Grognard welcome.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Grognard1812

RE: Soviet GT 19

Post by Grognard1812 »

Situation at the end of GT 19.

The 45th German Infantry Division is surrounded by 18 Soviet units.

Even though the weather forecast for the next turn is mud, due to the random weather option, if a snow or blizzard
turn occurs instead (each has a 5% chance of occurring) it would have a significant impact on the game.

Attachments
GT19end.jpg
GT19end.jpg (259.79 KiB) Viewed 91 times
tyronec

RE: Soviet GT 18

Post by tyronec »

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec

quote:

I imagine in most cases of this happening it would be stablised by costing time, energy and a bit of wear and tear but ultimately it is really going to hamper the blizzard prep

Could easily be the difference between being in control and losing control over winter

Looking forward to seeing how they both react to this!

Which sides blizzard prep do you think is being hampered ?

Who are you asking? The person that wrote what you quoted or me?
Was in response to SP but anyone is welcome to comment.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

I imagine in most cases of this happening it would be stablised by costing time, energy and a bit of wear and tear but ultimately it is really going to hamper the blizzard prep

Could easily be the difference between being in control and losing control over winter

I believe you are spot on on your assessment. Defiantly will have to get out the munchies and drinks for this one.

I have my popcorn at the ready!
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Which sides blizzard prep do you think is being hampered ?

Well I guess in theory both sides winter prep will be hampered but Axis is almost always gonna draw the short straw

I have been holding my breath since I saw that 1.66-1 attack (Although his roll seemed great) you best get them men saved pronto!! [X(]
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Well I guess in theory both sides winter prep will be hampered but Axis is almost always gonna draw the short straw
Personally am not sure.
Soviets have some of their best mobile units in an exposed position, they could get trapped or take heavy losses during the pending snow turns and they are not building up strength for the blizzard attack.
On the other hand I might lose some units, think it would take an extreme combat result but is certainly possible. Am also not sure of the impact if that pocket were cut off. Interesting.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Personally am not sure.
Soviets have some of their best mobile units in an exposed position, they could get trapped or take heavy losses during the pending snow turns and they are not building up strength for the blizzard attack.
On the other hand I might lose some units, think it would take an extreme combat result but is certainly possible. Am also not sure of the impact if that pocket were cut off. Interesting.

Yeah that's a very good point I did not think about cutting out the mobile units at all Tyronec

Aslong as you plan avidly for all types of weather each turn I do see how you could turn this into a safety net for your divisions & hexes come winter now

Risky in this siuation as anything could happen at the moment but I guess that is what makes for such an interesting read!

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Personally am not sure.

Actually I might propose that the isolated units are doing you a favor ;)

There are three problems I see in my newbie mind that I might suggest will have a long lasting effect should this game go on to 1944 ..

1. The deep drive has put your forces at high Supply MP's away from the railhead. An interesting unintended consequence of the supply algorithm is that the lorries (as Telemecus would say) will not even attempt to supply the isolated units .. in this case this is good in an odd way. The units that are 90MP's from the railhead are going to have trucks attempt to supply in the Mud phase this is not so good.. a look at the upper right hand corner might show a narrowing between the numbers left of the () and the numbers in the () .. when the numbers left are < () your whole Army will begin to suffer the effects insidiously at first.
2. There are a few 90+ morale German units. If they get isolated their morale drops. This will take some doing to recover. The problem is victories are a matter of morale, firepower, and adjusted CV .. and lower morale makes those victories harder to get morale up. It's the elite units that carve holes in tough positions...
3. If he does pocket units .. your snow turns will be dedicated to breaking these pockets rather than preparing for what is documented in this AAR as a normal Blizzard. Should your better units be "caught out" [Think Everest 1996] they will suffer morale and attrition losses that will not totally recover.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Personally am not sure.

There are three problems I see in my newbie mind that I might suggest will have a long lasting effect should this game go on to 1944 ..

1. The deep drive has put your forces at high Supply MP's away from the railhead. An interesting unintended consequence of the supply algorithm is that the lorries (as Telemecus would say) will not even attempt to supply the isolated units .. in this case this is good in an odd way. The units that are 90MP's from the railhead are going to have trucks attempt to supply in the Mud phase this is not so good.. a look at the upper right hand corner might show a narrowing between the numbers left of the () and the numbers in the () .. when the numbers left are < () your whole Army will begin to suffer the effects insidiously at first.
2. There are a few 90+ morale German units. If they get isolated their morale drops. This will take some doing to recover. The problem is victories are a matter of morale, firepower, and adjusted CV .. and lower morale makes those victories harder to get morale up. It's the elite units that carve holes in tough positions...
3. If he does pocket units .. your snow turns will be dedicated to breaking these pockets rather than preparing for what is documented in this AAR as a normal Blizzard. Should your better units be "caught out" [Think Everest 1996] they will suffer morale and attrition losses that will not totally recover.

Yup yup, I'm waiting for the next installment O.O
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

Personally am not sure.

Adding to the above mentioned points, from the game manual there are many negative effects on units when
they are isolated:

-Admin and initiative checks are twice as hard to make for isolated units
-As mentioned isolated units can lose one or more morale points per turn depending on the existing supply
shortages
-isolated unit only fire a 1/4 of the ammunition that they would normally use
-they do not receive any replacements or return damaged ground elements to the force pool - which means their
TOE levels will decrease each turn
-isolated units suffer a supply related CV penalty which can significantly effect their modified combat value
-if isolated units fail certain checks based on their morale they retreat more easily
-also I don't think isolated units are able to recover fatigue

What this means I think is that when units are isolated for more than a few turns they begin to wither away and
become very susceptible to negative combat results.

Grognard1812

Soviet GT 20

Post by Grognard1812 »

Soviet Game Turn 20

In the Voronezh area.

STAVKA bestowed the title of Hero of Rostov to General Zhukov, and then ordered him to take command of the 51st
Army near Tombov. With the assistance of 3 newly arrived 60 morale infantry divisions from Siberia, General
Zhukov led an attack on the surrounded 45th German Infantry Division which was successful.

Attachments
GT20Zhu.jpg
GT20Zhu.jpg (321.25 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Grognard1812

RE: Soviet GT 20

Post by Grognard1812 »

An attack was also successful against the 3rd Infantry Regiment of the 258 Infantry Division.

They will be joining the 45 Infantry Division on a long train ride to Siberia.

Attachments
GT20AttReg.jpg
GT20AttReg.jpg (361.6 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

The narrow supply corridor leading to the encircled Axis troops near Tombov was successfully cut off.

About nine German division are in the pocket.

Attachments
GT20AttCor.jpg
GT20AttCor.jpg (319.44 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

Situation in the Voronezh area at the end of GT 20.

The weather forecast for next week is mud.

As the snow turns start in 2 turns, the Soviet army needs to start preparing for an expected Axis attempt to
relieve the encircled German units near Tombov.

Attachments
GT20end.jpg
GT20end.jpg (223.67 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

GT 20 loses.

Attachments
GT20loses.jpg
GT20loses.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

GT 20 Order of Battle

As long as I can prevent Tyronec from reaching 260 VC and also the Soviet army from losing too many units
in the 3 snow turns before December, the Red Army should be able to launch an effective winter counter-offensive
during the blizzard turns.

Attachments
GT20OOB.jpg
GT20OOB.jpg (89.66 KiB) Viewed 92 times
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Do we have pictures of what is happening to the North and South of this area that can be posted by chance? ;-).
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Something that would be helpful is to turn off the fortified indices .. so I can see the unit sizes .. also could you hover over those panzer units? If 3 divisions .. the destruction is going to leave a mark ... [:D]

If you have resources ... and when you can [mud highly unlikely] .. bomb those isolated units .. flak SU's (if present) uses ammo in this game 20mm ammo is accounted for no differently that 150mm art ammo .. simply is ammo abstractly present what level and used from there to adjust ROF ..So if flak fires .. tanks might have no ammo in this game
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
John B.

Post by John B. »

Wow. Nice counterattack. Of course, Goring guarantees that the Luftwaffe will resupply the trapped units but then he always says that. :)
John Barr
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Do we have pictures of what is happening to the North and South of this area that can be posted by chance? ;-).

I don't have any recent pictures of the area North and South of Voronezh. I am presently completing GT 21 and
will save pictures of those areas and post them once I receive GT 22 from Tyronec. Both Tyronec and I are just
one turn ahead of the AAR.
Grognard1812

Post by Grognard1812 »

Something that would be helpful is to turn off the fortified indices .. so I can see the unit sizes .. also could you hover over those panzer units? If 3 divisions .. the destruction is going to leave a mark ... [:D]

If you have resources ... and when you can [mud highly unlikely] .. bomb those isolated units .. flak SU's (if present) uses ammo in this game 20mm ammo is accounted for no differently that 150mm art ammo .. simply is ammo abstractly present what level and used from there to adjust ROF ..So if flak fires .. tanks might have no ammo in this game

For the Soviet AAR of GT 21 I will turn off the fortified indices when providing a picture of the Axis units in
the Vornoezh area. At the end of GT 20, in the Axis pocket there are 9 German Infantry Divisions (one only has
2 regiments) and 2 Panzer divisions (the 3rd and 4th) - these two panzer divisions started the game as 90 morale
units and the 1st Cavalry division. As the 1st Cavalry division is scheduled to withdrawal at the beginning
of the Axis turn 21 I don't know what impact being isolated (and in a pocket) has on its withdrawal ability or if
there are any penalties.

I have been conducting 2 unit bombing missions each turn on all isolated hexes as you suggest.

Return to “After Action Reports”