Boise, Lucky Ship?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

Boise, Lucky Ship?

Post by JohnDillworth »

How about an 8" shell sticking out of the the #1 turret after the battle of Cape Esperance?
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4540/37869908144_cf52bfbdcd_o.jpg
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
btd64

RE: Boise, Lucky Ship?

Post by btd64 »

That's a great example of Luck. I had a CV hit by 4 torpedoes and lived to fight another day....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Here is the entire damage report. This shell apparently fizzled for a few seconds filling the turret with smoke. All things considred, not so bad https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-boise-cl47-war-damage-report-no-24.html
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

To paraphrase J.C. Denton, "Luck is a function of firepower".
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Just finished reading the Damage report. WOW....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

How about an 8" shell sticking out of the the #1 turret after the battle of Cape Esperance?
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4540/37869908144_cf52bfbdcd_o.jpg
Wow! That pic looks like the inside of the turret, with material spalled off around the shell.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Wow! That pic looks like the inside of the turret, with material spalled off around the shell.

It's the outside. You're looking at the base of the shell. According to the damage report (thanks @JohnDillworth), the shell was broken up on impact, which most likely kept it from exploding. The hardened armor face spalled off and fragments (from the armor and shell) penetrated the main deck.

This is a great example of face hardened armor working just as advertised: Splinter the shell on impact on the hardened surface and then have enough tough and soft armor underneath that the remaining projectile is stopped. It's also a case of major luck, as the shell should easily penetrate 6" armor at that distance. Maybe a case of shatter gap?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Rafid

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It's the outside. You're looking at the base of the shell. According to the damage report (thanks @JohnDillworth), the shell was broken up on impact, which most likely kept it from exploding. The hardened armor face spalled off and fragments (from the armor and shell) penetrated the main deck.

This is a great example of face hardened armor working just as advertised: Splinter the shell on impact on the hardened surface and then have enough tough and soft armor underneath that the remaining projectile is stopped. It's also a case of major luck, as the shell should easily penetrate 6" armor at that distance. Maybe a case of shatter gap?
Thanks.

Shatter gap - I have no idea. Never heard they used such then. Could have been a slightly substandard manufacture shell, or just plain old lucky placement on the bell curve.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Interesting that in January of 1943 the US Navy was still under the impression that they had sunk 2CA, 1CL and 3DD in that action.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Wonder how long it took to get an insurance adjuster to look at the Boise? Bet the USN didn't get their deductible back.
spence

Post by spence »

The damage report is entitled "USS BOISE (CVL7) (CL47) etc"

CL47 refers to the type of ship and its hull number. What does CVL7 mean?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: spence

The damage report is entitled "USS BOISE (CVL7) (CL47) etc"

CL47 refers to the type of ship and its hull number. What does CVL7 mean?
It means a civilian secretary typed up the report ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

US CLs were very lucky in general. Only 3 were lost in the entire war and two of them were basically supersized destroyers sent to do a mission they were not build to handle (the Juneau and Atlanta). Several were badly damaged, but survived.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

AFAIR one was hit at Anzio by a FritzX guided bomb, penetrating between the forward turrets and blowing the bottom out of this ship section. The rushing-in water seems to have prevented a magazine explosion.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

US CLs were very lucky in general. Only 3 were lost in the entire war and two of them were basically supersized destroyers sent to do a mission they were not build to handle (the Juneau and Atlanta). Several were badly damaged, but survived.

In harms way no BS that series of battles. [&o]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”