Survivors from DEI/Philippines/Malaya

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cardas

Survivors from DEI/Philippines/Malaya

Post by cardas »

Does anyone have a good overview of what made it out from DEI/Philippines/Malaya? Primarily as to what military formations made it out in one shape or another. I'm not exactly well read about things like that, I only know the broad strokes of what happened. I'm not interested in specific individual officers or civilians (although you are free to mention them). I'm less interested in what aircraft made it out but feel free to mention them as well.

As an example I know some of the forces deployed to Timor were eventually successfully evacuated from the island, e.g. the Australian Sparrow Force, but apparently there were also Dutch forces evacuated from Timor. I got no clue as to what formation they belonged to though.
Were there others? I could see, say, the Dutch forces in west Sumatra making it out or some of "base" forces for the float planes. However they may just as well simply have been overrun and surrendered for all I know.
geofflambert

RE: Survivors from DEI/Philippines/Malaya

Post by geofflambert »

I think some of the Dutch Air Force crews made it to India and continued the war fighting in the RAF. And the British sorely needed them.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Basically only Air & Naval units, Sparrowforce or 2/40 Bn, was captured at Koepang. 2 Independent Company fought on in East Timor and was evacuated approx Dec 1942
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
spence

Post by spence »

In SE Morrison's History of US Naval Operations in WW2 (IIRC VOL2) there's a list of all the ships assigned to ABDA Command with a notation as to whether they were sunk or not. I don't think the smaller auxiliaries are included though.
cardas

Post by cardas »

I did find this site: http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/
It has decently detailed accounts of the actions in the DEI. Not that it's entirely clear exactly what made it out from that either but probably the best overview I've found so far. It does answer my question about the Sumatra forces, seems that those left there all eventually surrendered as no shipping to evacuate them was available. Per what I've read here it strengthens JeffroK's claim that it was mostly air (including support personnel) and naval units that got out. Along with a number of civilians of course.

It also further drives home the point as how bad morale was an issue and how having natives hostile to the Dutch (at least in some areas) really made things difficult for the KNIL forces.
ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Basically only Air & Naval units, Sparrowforce or 2/40 Bn, was captured at Koepang. 2 Independent Company fought on in East Timor and was evacuated approx Dec 1942
I thought the independent company was considered to be part of "Sparrow Force"? Anyway that's what I meant with some of the Australians making it out from Timor.

ORIGINAL: spence

In SE Morrison's History of US Naval Operations in WW2 (IIRC VOL2) there's a list of all the ships assigned to ABDA Command with a notation as to whether they were sunk or not. I don't think the smaller auxiliaries are included though.
Thanks, getting info on what naval assets made it out is relatively more straightforward though which is why I asked about the ground forces.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Bumping my own thread but...
http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/manokwari.html

Interesting that some of the original KNIL forces apparently did survive to do some guerilla warfare - more like trying to survive - until allied forces returned to the north-western part of New Guinea.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: cardas

Bumping my own thread but...
http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/manokwari.html

Interesting that some of the original KNIL forces apparently did survive to do some guerilla warfare - more like trying to survive - until allied forces returned to the north-western part of New Guinea.
Maybe the legendary New Guinea cannibal tribes took them in and taught them how to "live off the land". [X(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”