D Day to the Ruhr 1944-1945 Allies v PO

After Action Reports
sapper32

D Day to the Ruhr 1944-1945 Allies v PO

Post by sapper32 »

Had to buy this game as i enjoyed TOAW III so much i thought i would play this scenario as its my cup of tea,
Im playing the Allies against the Axis PO, its a PO only game so should make for a fun and interesting challenge.
Its 336 turns of a full day at 5KMs a hex the units are Regiments and Battalions,Turn 1 is the 5th June and allows the Allied player to use the Strategic air forces and naval assets to soften up the defending German army also ive been busy bombing every bridge i can to try to slow down the German reinforcements who will be heading for Normandy.
The pic below shows starting locations of major units who will be starting the game however before i end turn 1 i will sail the Allied invasion forces to there respective beaches.
BTW the westernmost Allied units should read US 4th Inf

Attachments
d1.jpg
d1.jpg (465.7 KiB) Viewed 352 times
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
sapper32

RE: D Day to the Ruhr 1944-1945 Allies v PO

Post by sapper32 »

D Day the Allies have begun the day bombarding the invasion hexs to lower there entrentchment levels i need my assault forces to get on the beaches so ive set up for multiple attacks over several combat rounds, Round 1 and 2 was bombardments and air strikes aswell as the Airborne landings (i misclicked and landed the BR 3 Para Bde in the middle of 21st Panzers units)
Round 3 saw US 4th Inf destroy the defenders of Utah beach by RBC and drive inland linking up with 82nd AB
The BR 3rd Inf have also RBC the defenders of Juno beach and are ashore with 27th Armd Bde.
Omaha Gold and Sword beaches were no push over and have taken several combat rounds to get ashore leaving some assault units on the transports but the British and Canadians have pushed inland 10Km.

Attachments
dday.jpg
dday.jpg (584.02 KiB) Viewed 352 times
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

This one looks promising [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

D Day the Allies have begun the day bombarding the invasion hexs to lower there entrentchment levels i need my assault forces to get on the beaches so ive set up for multiple attacks over several combat rounds, Round 1 and 2 was bombardments and air strikes aswell as the Airborne landings (i misclicked and landed the BR 3 Para Bde in the middle of 21st Panzers units)
Round 3 saw US 4th Inf destroy the defenders of Utah beach by RBC and drive inland linking up with 82nd AB
The BR 3rd Inf have also RBC the defenders of Juno beach and are ashore with 27th Armd Bde.
Omaha Gold and Sword beaches were no push over and have taken several combat rounds to get ashore leaving some assault units on the transports but the British and Canadians have pushed inland 10Km.
warspite1

I will follow this with interest. Please let me know if any of the following put in an appearance:

HMS Warspite
43rd Wessex Division
129th Infantry Brigade
4th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Thank-you.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You can turn those flags off if you like, to avoid the map clutter. It's Objectives > Invisible, I think.
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

You can turn those flags off if you like, to avoid the map clutter. It's Objectives > Invisible, I think.
Will try that one ive got a bit to get used too its a lot different too TOAW III
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

D+1 June 7th

Allied Strategic Airforce withdraws from the map, On D Day I ordered by way of theatre option the
release of BR 7th Armd Div and the US 2nd Inf Div both are sat in UK ports awaiting orders the down
side of this is the cost in supply drop 7th Armd will lower supply by 3 and the 2nd Inf by 2 I have
two more divisions available by theatre option but will hold off for this turn maybe ?.
On the up side I received some reinforcements that don't effect my supply level corps troops and some
more Airborne units

Attachments
1vert.jpg
1vert.jpg (975.28 KiB) Viewed 350 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

D+1 7th June

The US 4th Inf will be reinforced with 2nd Inf at Utah beach, these two divisions along with 82nd AB
will secure the flank and start operations to capture St Mere Eglise which is belived to be held by
elements of 709th Inf Div.

The US 1st and 29th divisions will expand there foothold at Omaha and try to link up with 101st AB

BR 50th div supported by XXX Corps armour will capture Port En Bessin and swing towards Bayeux

Can 3rd Inf will destroy the 739th Gren Regt at sword beach area then support 50th Div

BR 3rd Div supported by I Corps armour and two SS Brigades is tasked to advance towards Caen and
support 6th AB against 21st Pzr

The Allied Air Forces will be set to combat support and interdiction missions but must also destroy
more bridges

Attachments
d1.jpg
d1.jpg (670 KiB) Viewed 350 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: sapper32

warspite1

I will follow this with interest. Please let me know if any of the following put in an appearance:

HMS Warspite
43rd Wessex Division
129th Infantry Brigade
4th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Thank-you.
HMS Warspite is in the thick off the action pounding German shore positions
The Wessex wyverns will be along in the next few weeks

Thanks for reading
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

subscribed
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Thanks Larry
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

subscribed
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

D+1 7th June End of Allied turn

US 4th and 2nd Divisions have attacked towards St Mere Eglise but have failed to capture it but
have inflicted severe losses on the German defenders.

US 1st and 29th Divisions are advancing inland and forcing the German 716th and 352nd divisions to
retreat,US 115th RCT is trying to force its way across the Aure river but is held up by the 914th
Gren Regt.

BR 50th Division has linked up with US 1st Division and is on the outskirts of Bayeux.

Canadian 3rd Division supported by Can 2nd Armd Bde and BR 8th Armd Bde has destroyed elements of
the German 716th Div and will continue south down the road towards Villers Bocage.

BR 3rd Division supported by 27th Armd Bde has reached the outskirts of Caen while the 1st SSB has
captured Carpiquet airfield

Attachments
t3end.jpg
t3end.jpg (542.59 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

I'll be watching, as I am currently getting whooped by the Allied PO which is the process of breaking out, and it hasn't even taken Cherbourg yet (currently July 11). It just keeps pounding until there isn't enough left to hold the ground. The only way I've been able to hold any ground is by using the Panzers to support the landsers, which is accurate. What isn't accurate is that the Allies are breaking out a early, and I've not wasted my units in patently futile attacks. I would say the German supply levels are just too low, which may be a result of the new supply system on top of an old scenario.

I suspect you should be able to beat the PO handily.

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

which may be a result of the new supply system on top of an old scenario.
Hi - It's not an old scenario, design started with the first version of TOAW IV. It is set up for the New Supply Rules.
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Hi - It's not an old scenario, design started with the first version of TOAW IV. It is set up for the New Supply Rules.

Okay, I didn't know that - thanks for the clarification. I still think the German supply situation is a tad too lean. [:)]
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell

I'll be watching, as I am currently getting whooped by the Allied PO which is the process of breaking out, and it hasn't even taken Cherbourg yet (currently July 11). It just keeps pounding until there isn't enough left to hold the ground. The only way I've been able to hold any ground is by using the Panzers to support the landsers, which is accurate. What isn't accurate is that the Allies are breaking out a early, and I've not wasted my units in patently futile attacks. I would say the German supply levels are just too low, which may be a result of the new supply system on top of an old scenario.

I suspect you should be able to beat the PO handily.

Thanks for following, I'm surprised that I have reached Caen already although I have bombed lots of bridges to slow down the German Panzer divisions but they are on there way after seeing lots of road and rail moves by the PO I suspect I will have company soon
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Quick update the battle continues however the 21st century has let me down first my broadband connection is down and then my left click on my mouse packed up , mouse replaced and engineer imminent more reports soon

Ian
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

D+3 June 8th Allied Round 7

The commander of British 6th Airborne Div regrets the destruction of 3rd Parachute brigade who felt
the full fury of 21st Panzer during the Axis turn, I think the PO gets 100vps for that.

The US 2nd and 4th Divisions have beaten back the German counter attack towards Utah beach and are back
on the outskirts of St Mere Eglise.

The US1st and 29th Divisions aided by BR 50th Division have captured Bayeux and driven back and destroyed
elements of 716 and 352nd Divisions, There are now dug in ready for Pzr Lehr who is approaching the front.

BR 7th Armd and the Can 3rd Div have driven back and cut of several units of the 716/352nd Divisions
inflicting heavy losses,This enemy pocket needs to be destroyed next turn before it can be relived.

BR 3rd Division supported by 27 Armd Bde and the 51st Highland division has assaulted the city of Caen
although it was not captured 21st Panzer suffered heavy losses and several of its units retreated.

Attachments
d3.jpg
d3.jpg (649.5 KiB) Viewed 352 times
jacktimes2

Post by jacktimes2 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

subscribed
+1. Quite interested in this one.
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

D+4 Allied turn June 9th

The good news both mullberry harbours are
In place so supply and replacements should
Improve also BR 2nd Army (dempsey) and US 1st Army (Hodges) are ashore.
The bad news is that the units I asked for vie theatre option (US 2nd Armd + BR 29th Division) have not shown up bug or miss click ? I will find out next turn as ive requested them again.
Turn report to follow also I have back to back turns

Return to “After Action Reports”