Two monitors

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

juntoalmar

Two monitors

Post by juntoalmar »

Hi,

I have recently installed the game and updated to the latest version into my new MS Surface Pro. I have connected it to an external monitor in order to use both screens to play the game. Although the Surface and the monitor have different resolutions, the game seems to handle them fine.

I have one problem, though (and a big one) when a new window has to pop up in the game (for instance, when aligning a country, selecting impulse type, and so). I think the new window is not shown or shown behind one of the already opened MWiF windows. Thus, I can't continue as the game stops until I choose if I want a land/naval/air impulse. I can't even click on any of the visible windows in the screen.

Is there any Key combination in order to redraw all the windows, or set the current window visible/in front or anything like that, that could solve my problem? Anybody has had this problem when playing with two monitors?

Thanks in advance
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
davidachamberlain

RE: Two monitors

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Hi,

I have recently installed the game and updated to the latest version into my new MS Surface Pro. I have connected it to an external monitor in order to use both screens to play the game. Although the Surface and the monitor have different resolutions, the game seems to handle them fine.

I have one problem, though (and a big one) when a new window has to pop up in the game (for instance, when aligning a country, selecting impulse type, and so). I think the new window is not shown or shown behind one of the already opened MWiF windows. Thus, I can't continue as the game stops until I choose if I want a land/naval/air impulse. I can't even click on any of the visible windows in the screen.

Is there any Key combination in order to redraw all the windows, or set the current window visible/in front or anything like that, that could solve my problem? Anybody has had this problem when playing with two monitors?

Thanks in advance
That problem happens to single monitor situations as well. What I usually do to fix this is to do a "right click" on the task bar and then select one of (or sequence through) Side by Side, Stacked, and Cascade. Usually one of those will unhide the blocked dialog. I will also move the Air to Air over to the right to help make sure that it won't cover the dialog. I have not had this happen for land or naval - just Air combat.

Dave
davidc

Post by davidc »

Hi,

See my previous post for help on this.

Hidden Air-to-Air Combat Die Roll Effects Form
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Thanks for your answers. But it doesn't seem to help.
"right click" on the task bar and then select one of (or sequence through) Side by Side, Stacked, and Cascade
Apparently this option doesn't exist on Windows 10.
See my previous post for help on this.
I have tried all options commented in the thread:
- F10
- Alt+F4
- Alt+Tab

and still I don't see the hidden form.

Right now it happens every single time I start a Fast Barbarossa. When I align Finland, I'm not able to set up Finnish units in the map as the form is hidden.

Anybody playing with W10 out there is able to play with two monitors?

Cheers,

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Cheers,

I have WIndows 10 and I'm playing MWiF with three "mismatched" monitors without issue.

Attachments
3Monitors.jpg
3Monitors.jpg (378.07 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Ronnie
4personalbusiness

Post by 4personalbusiness »

This has been a major aggravation for me. The only reliable solution I've found is preventative--to memorize when blocking happens (A2A, using winterized units, etc.) and move the blocking form out of the way just BEFORE the hidden form appears. I really hate this problem and have never found a keystroke-based method that works reliably. For me, once the small form is blocked, the game is frozen and that's it. A couple of these suggestions are new to me so I'm gonna try them next time I forget to move the blocking form and feel the intense need to throw my computer out the window. Pete
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Cheers,

I have WIndows 10 and I'm playing MWiF with three "mismatched" monitors without issue.

It's a matter of bad luck, then. I would have to wait until I get a proper screen to play only with a big one.

It was already bad to accept I would play with a 13' laptop, but seeing the capture of your two monitors made it even harder! [X(] [:D]
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Next time, I will try to unplug the external monitor to see if that fixes it. It may be a workaround.

Funny enough, I tried using two monitors with my Mac using a virtual machine for Windows and I think that it worked better than using natively Windows Surface. It maybe something related to the Win10 preinstalled in the Surface as I think it's slightly different.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Is your problem just the set-up trays or other forms? (Of course if you can't get past setting up the game, this may be unknown.)

Anyway, if so, there have been lots of reports about issues with invisible set-up trays, so your problem may be a program bug that manifests in combination with certain monitor configurations.

One way to test is start the game on a single monitor then save after all setting up and then try with the two monitors. For your two monitor Screen Layout, you always want a gap right below the main form (where your desktop background shows through), because so many temporary forms show up right under the main form. As long as you can click on the top edge of a form, it should come to the front.
Paul
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

One way to test is start the game on a single monitor then save after all setting up and then try with the two monitors. For your two monitor Screen Layout, you always want a gap right below the main form (where your desktop background shows through), because so many temporary forms show up right under the main form.

That's a very good advice as I usually leave no space between the main form and the map view to use all the monitor real state. This may really help.

I think the problem wasn't only with set-up units form (I tried to keep playing without Finland and at some point happened again).

I will try with the little gap to see if that helps.

Thanks!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I was traveling when this thread started, but now I can screen cap my Screen Layout for you to see what I mean. With the large global map I really don't need to use the Map Views. I find just clicking on the global map is the fastest way to get to where the action is, but each to their own.

The Naval Review Details on the right side of the primary monitor disappears when you double-click on a land hex so that space is empty much of the time. Of course to make the Screen Layout in the first place I needed it open. Also to defeat the problem of the NRD info changing as the mouse moves from the sea zone of interest to the NRD form, all you need do is right click the sea zone you want to keep the info for, then move the mouse to the NRD. That is the most helpful hint on using the MWiF GUI that I've ever received!

I can't say you would run into issues doing other than this, but I've messed around with multiple monitors and Screen Layouts since my very early days as a beta tester, and I recommend the Main Form be on the Primary monitor. From the Windows Display Settings you can control which display is on the left or the right but I found things work best with the Primary monitor on the left (i.e. top left is coordinate 0,0). Of course you will want the Detailed Map on your larger screen so I recommend it being on the right.

Edit: Also I don't think it is possible to change the location for the window for which planes are selectable this phase. It seems to be hard coded to 0,0. That's why you want the Main Form shifted over to the right somewhat. I don't find selecting them there and dragging them possibly to the far right on the second monitor to be all that arduous, but of course they can be selected from the Detailed Map anyway and then the window just helps knowing all the planes that are available to do something. Right clicking on them and using "return from whence" can be helpful as well, when appropriate.

For the global map it is good to know that if you need it smaller, your mouse wheel can move the map up and down, but also shift-mouse wheel moves the map left or right.

Attachments
twoscreen.jpg
twoscreen.jpg (972.82 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Paul
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

That's helpful, thank you. I will definitely try to:
- keep the main form in the main monitor
- leave a gap so that hidden forms can be clicked

Hopefully that solves most of the troubles.

Cheer,
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I just made the following change to the code to address this problem:

December 9, 2017 - Modified where on the screen many of the forms appear so that instead of them being precisely under the Main form, they now overlap the bottom of the Main form slightly (i.e., 20 pixels). This change is an attempt to solve problems that occur for some players where a form is completely hidden by the Detailed Map (which typically is aligned precisely with the bottom of the Main form). By having forms overlap the Main form, the top 20 pixels of the form should be accessible using the mouse to bring the full form into view (overlying the Detailed Map).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Same idea with successive air combat forms having their left edge 20 pixels further left than the ones they succeed might be worth considering.
Paul
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Thanks Steve. This simple change can make a difference.
Just curious, aren't the new dialogs covered by the Main Form too?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

Hi,

Thanks in advance
That problem happens to single monitor situations as well. What I usually do to fix this is to do a "right click" on the task bar and then select one of (or sequence through) Side by Side, Stacked, and Cascade. Usually one of those will unhide the blocked dialog. I will also move the Air to Air over to the right to help make sure that it won't cover the dialog. I have not had this happen for land or naval - just Air combat.

Dave

I have reported this as a bug several times.

Let's hope the latest change solves it.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Same idea with successive air combat forms having their left edge 20 pixels further left than the ones they succeed might be worth considering.

+1
Peter
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio
ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

Dave

I have reported this as a bug several times.

Let's hope the latest change solves it.
Unfortunately, since it can be worked around, it is not a higher priority. It is a PITA, but most of the time I can deal with it. I also save the game just after all of the air actions are added in case I need to re-do after it breaks.

Dave
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I am not really sure what you mean here.

Could you give a more detailed example?
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I'm assuming in the Delphi IDE that when you define forms, you specify an XY position for their top left corner. Would that not be what you are doing if you get a form to overlap the bottom of the main form instead of appearing right under it?

So the suggestion for Air Combat forms that seem to come up where the active one has focus but is hidden behind an inactive one (and thus is difficult to get at and makes the game look frozen) is that they overlap in some fashion. If you can click on a part of the form that has focus, it should come to the front.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”