MrLongLeg vs Taxman66 AAR v10.02 Beta

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Taxman66

MrLongLeg vs Taxman66 AAR v10.02 Beta

Post by Taxman66 »

Axis - MrLongLeg
Allies - Taxman66 (For the record either my Axis play is not up to snuff or the Allied AI is stronger than the Axis AI)

Version - Beta Patch 10.02

Once more into the breach. Where I have hopefully learned from my previous game vs. Korut Zelva.

I will attempt to post my turns after my opponent has taken his next turn (and before I start my response) so that
I can show a bit more in screen shots.

On with the show...

Allied First Turn (Turn 2):

Axis open aggressively vs. Poland, hammering Polish armies and cutting off nearly all reinforcement to Warsaw. An aggressive Panzer unit has taken 3 dmg in attacks.
However, Axis HQs and 1 TAC are stationed forward and the Poles poke at them. With little more than pointy sticks, unfortunetly.
Von Kuchler takes 1 dmg from the suicidal remains (str:2) of the Prussy Army north of Modin.
Von Bock takes 3 dmg from the CAV and Army cut off near Poznan.
Stukas stationed in East Prussia take 3 dmg from a Polish Corps and Polish TAC bombers.
A cut off Polish CAV moves into Danzig.

Attachments
PolandTurn1.jpg
PolandTurn1.jpg (715.46 KiB) Viewed 184 times
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
MrLongleg

RE: MrLongLeg vs Taxman66 AAR v10.02 Beta

Post by MrLongleg »

Good luck to my opponent Taxman66. Let me know if it is okay for me to read this. You already did some good damage to me, more than my last opponent where I was able to take Poland in two turns.
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Yeah, it should be ok.
As I said in the opening I'm going to post my turn after you take your next one (i.e. Allied turn 1 (overall turn 2) above posted after you took your 2nd turn (overall turn 3). If there is any really important info that would last beyond your (blind to my report) turn I'll fog of war it.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: September 22, 1939

By the skin of their teeth the Polish GAR unit in Warsaw barely hangs on (str: 2) as the German attack finally runs
out of steam, at least until they regroup. One Panzer corp is now down to half strength.

Poland can barely muster any counter attacks. A half strength corps bounced off a str: 7 group of TAC bombers near Modin, taking 1 dmg themselves. A cut off Polish army exchanges 1 dmg with the Slovakian corp. The remnants of the Polish TAC try and bomb a group of german fighters only to be intercepted by other fighters. The Poles loose every plane but do manage to damage (presumably 1) the interceptors.

The Warsaw garrison is reinforced, maybe it will take another strength point from the Germans before they're overrun.
The rest of the Polish units flee to the uhm... 'safety' of the East.
The idea being to reduce easy kills/experience for the Germans.

Actually had a conundrum about what to do with the Polish MPP. They had 60 left (15 from Danzig plunder) after reinforcing Warsaw. I saw 2 options: a) Reinforce the str:1 Fighters a little bit; or b) Roll the dice on a 1/20 diplo chit. I chose the chit as I didn't want to give him a Luftwaffe kill on a weak fighter unit.

Attachments
PolandTurn4.jpg
PolandTurn4.jpg (782.89 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: October 14, 1939

Poland goes down, doing 1 more dmg to an Armor, TAC and an Army in the process of losing Warsaw and various
clean up (i.e. gain experience) attacks by the Wehrmacht.

France completes the Maginot Shuffle.

France bans the Communist Party.
USSR picks a fight with Finland.
UK seizes the treaty ports from Ireland.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: November 5, 1939

A German sub runs into the HMS Javelin (DD) south west of Ireland on the Iraq convoy line. Javelin is accompanied by HMS Jersey (DD).
The final scuffle (over both his and my turns) leads to 2 dmg on the Sub, 3 dmg on Javelin and 1 dive by the sub.

Axis raiders are taking a firm bite out of UK MPP. Nearly 60 MPP lost this turn alone.

Rain over western Europe. There is no surprise fall attack.

The USSR agrees to the modified treaty proposed by Germany.
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

Go taxman go taxman go!

That's a pretty heroic polish defense.

I see Danzig is still a national morale objective. Usually it gets triggered and they lose the status. How much national morale germany lose (if any)? Maybe only Soviets can trigger?

Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I don't know.
Probably an insignificant amount given the boost for taking Poland down.
If it reduced Germany's plunder by 15 ('cause the Poles got it instead), I'd be satisfied.

There really wasn't much choice about strategy with Poland. Their units were so well cut off, I didn't have any better way to defend Warsaw than to operate that far eastern Gar in front of Panzer, and move the untouched Mech to cover the southern hex. He left the 2 HQs (and the 1 TAC) visible to me and within range, well there wasn't anything else I could do with the units I attacked him with and those are expensive units to take hits. Better still it will slow those 2 HQs from getting experience.

The only thing that would've made it glorious would've been to have the Polish diplo chit get that 1 in 20 hit. Alas... not to be.
KorutZelva

Post by KorutZelva »

Yeah that's exactly it. Their situation is so bad that usually that they can't do much other than landing a few hits when getting attacked. Getting HQ hits is really a best case scenario. The french might get a few more hits themselves from the reduced HQ exp.

Seeing early subs sink almost 60 mpp worth only reaffirm my folly have them sit out for a bluff.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: November 27, 1939

HMCS Saguenay encounters U35 on the Canada->UK Convoy line. Sub and Destroyer take 2 dmg each.
HMS Jersey and U32 face off for no damage in rough seas.

41 MPP lost to raiders.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: December 19, 1939

HMCS Saguenay and U35 tussle again, doing 2 damage to each other (sub & DD now both down to Str: 6).
HMS Jersey and Le Terrible both engage U30 in rough seas and no damage (no dives either) is scored.

22 MPP lost to raiders this turn.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: January 20, 1939

HMS Jersey and U30 engage again with no results (0:0), though the sub is down to 3 supply.

42 MPP lost to raiders this turn.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

How do you want to handle this issue?:

See Hubart's 12/12/17 7:50pm reply
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

I'll do whatever you consider fair. On the turn I played tonight all the convoy routes were red.
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

It won't happen until after Italy joins and I get the DE about shifting convoys.

Lets see how Hubert replies to my last post on the Tech support page.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn: March 2, 1940

HMCS Assinibone encounters a sub and in the rough seas both wiff (0:0) against each other.

HMS Javelin again spars with U30 and both wiff (0:0). The sub now has 1 pip of experience but is also at supply of 2

HMS Jersey runs into the Deutschland and takes a point of damage.
HMS Malaya (BB) and HMS Glasgow (CL) respond to the destroyer's call for help. The rough seas reduce the seriousness of the
engagement. Final results: Deutschland 3dmg, Glasgow 1dmg and Jersery 1dmg. Deutschland has only 1 supply left.

USSR forces Finland to concede.

29 MPP lost to raiders.

----
Awaiting response from Hubert (on the Tech support thread) before continuing.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I hate to say it, but I believe this game is compromised.
I just completed my April 3, 1940 turn under the presumption to tough out the convoy issue (maybe even not move them) and just now realized that the Polish Corps never showed up.
It has me wondering what else is going to go off kilter.

I don't know if we should keep playing this as an exercise until a new patch or patch hot fix comes out, or if we should take Hubert's suggestion and create a 'Fixed' custom scenario.

Additionally, I'm going to have to miss a few days next week as the computer with the game on it needs to be looked at in the shop. I had a power outage which caused the computer to loose power (the UPS failed, or more likely needs to have the battery replaced). It appears the computer was attempting to download MS updates at the time as Windows Update is no longer working. I checked the 'service' and it says it is running; I tried reestablishing the 'service'; multiple reboots; and even the following MS website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... you-try-to all to no avail.
GenSlack

Post by GenSlack »

Taxman,
I just had the same problem with Win7. It was an easy fix. Try option #2. It takes mere seconds and it worked for me.
https://www.wintips.org/windows-update- ... ta-solved/
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Thank you!
You saved me $50+ and more importantly time without the computer.

It did kill the update history, took a long time to scan through and did bring back suggested optional updates that I don't want.
But what the heck.

Again much appreciation.

Return to “After Action Reports”