Which scenarios are the least difficult?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

cmorris975

Which scenarios are the least difficult?

Post by cmorris975 »

Hi everyone,

I love the concept of this game but I am having a hard time getting into it due to the difficulty. Can anyone recommend some scenarios that might be a bit easier to win, or smaller in scale? It's hard for me to learn all the units as well as how the game works with the scenarios I have tried so far. It'd be nice to have scenarios with about half the units as the smaller stock ones so I might be better able to come to grips with how this wors.

Thanks,

Chris
CapnDarwin

RE: Which scenarios are the least difficult?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Chris, have you done the Tutorial scenario while reading the Tutorial and Quick Start guide? Also the best scenario to start with is A Time To Dance from the NATO side.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
cmorris975

Post by cmorris975 »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

Chris, have you done the Tutorial scenario while reading the Tutorial and Quick Start guide? Also the best scenario to start with is A Time To Dance from the NATO side.

Yes, I did do the tutorial. I think the problem is that sighting is not that intuitive and checking all the units line of sight in order to better understand the battlefield is laborious. So far what usually happens is that units that appear to be able to see and fire on certain areas cannot, so a helicopter comes in and destroys a lot of my forces. Or enemy artillery will take out half my tanks in one turn.

I will try that scenario and stick with it, thanks.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

A Time to Dance is a great scenario. It is small, at least from the NATO side, but don't let that fool you! [8D]

It is quite the knife fight! I've had FPCRS from launch and this scenario is still my 'goto' scenario whenever
there is a new patch, or I only have an hour or two, or had a bad day at work (or in traffic) and want to kill stuff. [:'(]

I think that you'll like it!
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
cmorris975

Post by cmorris975 »

OldSarge, thanks for the recommendation! I did enjoy that one and even squeaked by with a marginal victory. I lost a lot of units but I'll take it!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

"A Time To Dance" seems to have caught people's attention.

It has a storied history.

I created this scenario as the introduction to the game. As such the US units are leaving the Kaserne (base) as they activate. That makes them appear to show up out of thin air! [X(][:-]

I sent the scenario back to Rob and Jim when I thought it played well. About 2 days later I had Rob tell me, "Steve, I'm not sure about a scenario where units just appear out of nowhere in the middle of a map."

To which I replied, "No problem. I don't make scenarios like that. All mine either start on the map or enter as reinforcements. I don't like units beaming in either."

There was a moment of silence, during which I'm sure Jim was rolling on the floor, before Rob came back with, "But 'A Time To Dance' has units that just show up in the middle of the map." I was by that time 2 scenarios further into the game mechanics. (Each scenario was designed to highlight another part of game play and were created in that sequence.)

It took me a moment to realize that he was right. For the one, and only time, in my career - making literally hundreds of scenarios - I'd started units appearing out of nowhere!!!

We all had a good laugh and will bring that up every so often; along with a reference as to how FPC is NOT a Combat Engineer simulator...and we go on.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

3rd Herd is big scenario, but you should try as well if you want to scale up your experience. IMO it is easy for nato, but not that easy for pact. Tip is, you need to set up your kill zone wisely. Don't push too much to defend the central town. US forces in this scenario doesn't have enough time to make a such "high" defense line.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”