Understandings rd factories

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Numdydar

RE: Understandings rd factories

Post by Numdydar »

This is an important point many forget.

If you do ZERO R&D in your game, you will still get every AC Japan can or would produce on its historical date or planned production date for those in mid 45+. Obviously these dates can be changed in the Editor.

So if you want planes earlier, just skip R&D entirely and just have 44/45 planes show up whenever you want [:D]
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar
So if you want planes earlier, just skip R&D entirely and just have 44/45 planes show up whenever you want [:D]
Yeah, can recommend.
Japan Nasty AI does this, and I tell you it's no fun to face Frank-r in 42
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

This is a very good thread for newbie information. I think I actually understand most of it!

Although I look at both Tojo and Tony and I can't say I like what I see, I recognize that you guys have a lot of experience so I value your opinions. I think I'll hold my nose and choose Oscar Ic, Tojo (is the 2x40mm model any good or is 2 accuracy really 2% accuracy?) and research Frank etc.

My newbie eyes tell me that the Sam isn't much better than the A6M8, but it seems most players think Sam is a substantial upgrade. So I'll go for Sam as well.

Shoutout to Lowpe, whose painful Soviet AAR I have been reading.

Thanks to PaxMondo for many informative answers. Although I will criticize one thing. What's with your avatar? That girl has a very strange face!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Liebestod
Although I look at both Tojo and Tony and I can't say I like what I see, I recognize that you guys have a lot of experience so I value your opinions. I think I'll hold my nose and choose Oscar Ic, Tojo (is the 2x40mm model any good or is 2 accuracy really 2% accuracy?) and research Frank etc.

My newbie eyes tell me that the Sam isn't much better than the A6M8, but it seems most players think Sam is a substantial upgrade. So I'll go for Sam as well.
Fun starts only with later models of Tony(Ki-100 is great bomber killer) and Tojo (IIc is decent for midwar). Don't know if 2 really represents 2% but 2 is really bad yes.
As for Sam look on speed and climb vs A6M8. Speed is of paramount importance. Most late war Allied fighters are around 400 so they can run wild among 350-ish A6Ms, running away and catching up when needed. Climb helps too
Thanks to PaxMondo for many informative answers. Although I will criticize one thing. What's with your avatar? That girl has a very strange face!
That's Saori Hara.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

This is a very good thread for newbie information. I think I actually understand most of it!

Shoutout to Lowpe, whose painful Soviet AAR I have been reading.

The Tojo is underrated by those who do not make much use of it, in my opinion. The IIa is a nice bridge to the Frank, and the IIc remains a very good CAP fighter into the late war because of its good climb. With radar, the IIc can bring more numbers to altitude than other fighters, including Frank. CAP is only helpful if it can reach the altitude of the raid in the time allowed, and Japanese radar is never very good. The Oscar is serviceable against early war P40s and P39s, but all models of the Oscar are outclassed by everything else the allies have.

The Tojo IIb and the Tony 1D are good heavy bomber killers, and all models of the Tony perform adequately against fighters: the Tojo IIb, not so much because of its poor accuracy.
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Damn I had a huge post almost ready and I closed my browser.

Basically I want to know what reasonable RESEARCH factory quantities are good. I'm thinking of Scenario 1/2 with PDU ON and realistic research OFF.

New to the game but here are my best guesses for research factories only, ignoring engine production and currently available aircraft production:

Mandatory:

Frank-a (4/44): 11x30 (Switch 7 to production and 4 to research of Frank-r)
Tojo IIa (9/42): 7x30 (6 to production and 1 to research Tojo IIc)
Judy D4Y1 (4/43): 5x30 (1 for production of D4Y1 and 4 for D4Y4 research, turn some off once you replace your carrier squadrons)
A6M Rufe (4/42): 6x30 (Maybe 1 for production if you like Rufe itself, 5-6 for A6M8 research)
Jill B6N1 (5/43): 3x30 (Perhaps 2 for B6N1 production and 1 for B6N2 research)
A7M Sam (9/45): 7x30 (A huge investment because this plane is 9/1945 = 46 months and factories repair in 63% of that time = 29 months before they are giving their full research bonus. But people say it's worth it....)

Optional:
Tony: ?
George: ?
Jack: ?
Oscar IIa (11/42): (Not sure if it makes sense to research Oscar in a PDU ON game)

Helen Ia (4/42): 1x30 (Switch to research Helen IIb. You start with 14 undamaged research factories so you might as well bump it to 30. Most people seem to say use Sally/Betty all game but Helen IIb is a nice armored Sally with better guns so I say it's worth it given the factories you start with)
Emily 1: 1x30 (switch to Emily II research)

Please correct me if any of these are awful or if I am missing any plane that absolutely needs to be researched.
AndriahBlashkovich

Post by AndriahBlashkovich »

One thing I don't understand, I understand how it all works in theory, but have an issue with the interface -

If I want a batch of A6M2N R&D factories to convert into a batch of A6M5 R&D factories - should it be set to 'upgrade' or 'keep' ? What exactly happens with them when either of those modes are set?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Damn I had a huge post almost ready and I closed my browser.

Basically I want to know what reasonable RESEARCH factory quantities are good. I'm thinking of Scenario 1/2 with PDU ON and realistic research OFF.

New to the game but here are my best guesses for research factories only, ignoring engine production and currently available aircraft production:

Mandatory:

Frank-a (4/44): 11x30 (Switch 7 to production and 4 to research of Frank-r)
Tojo IIa (9/42): 7x30 (6 to production and 1 to research Tojo IIc)
Judy D4Y1 (4/43): 5x30 (1 for production of D4Y1 and 4 for D4Y4 research, turn some off once you replace your carrier squadrons)
A6M Rufe (4/42): 6x30 (Maybe 1 for production if you like Rufe itself, 5-6 for A6M8 research)
Jill B6N1 (5/43): 3x30 (Perhaps 2 for B6N1 production and 1 for B6N2 research)
A7M Sam (9/45): 7x30 (A huge investment because this plane is 9/1945 = 46 months and factories repair in 63% of that time = 29 months before they are giving their full research bonus. But people say it's worth it....)

Optional:
Tony: ?
George: ?
Jack: ?
Oscar IIa (11/42): (Not sure if it makes sense to research Oscar in a PDU ON game)

Helen Ia (4/42): 1x30 (Switch to research Helen IIb. You start with 14 undamaged research factories so you might as well bump it to 30. Most people seem to say use Sally/Betty all game but Helen IIb is a nice armored Sally with better guns so I say it's worth it given the factories you start with)
Emily 1: 1x30 (switch to Emily II research)

Please correct me if any of these are awful or if I am missing any plane that absolutely needs to be researched.

Nothing horrible. Your RnD plan needs to fit your overall strategy. There is no ideal plan, there is only the plan that best supports your strategy.
Pax
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

If I want a batch of A6M2N R&D factories to convert into a batch of A6M5 R&D factories - should it be set to 'upgrade' or 'keep' ?

There's a 'wire chart' hereabouts somewhere which will show you the progression of development for each Japanese A/C frame. They don't always go as you might expect. WRT to settings IIRC 'upgrade' will move the model to the next on the line of said chart. 'Keep' will not move to the next incremental frame. These options are the same in both the production and R&D aspects of aircraft. I would rarely turn 'upgrade' to 'keep' in the R&D aspect, except maybe when I no longer wished to develop the line. For example when I get to the A6M5c, since I personally don't develop the A6M8. Under the 'Air' aspect I might select 'keep' for say the A6M3a, even when the A6M5 production begins, because I want more of the M3a's due to their range.

All of this is subjective, as Pax says above, and will depend on your style of play. Hope some of this helps. I'll try to find a link to the wire chart later if I have time, otherwise look for it under the search engine.

Ciao
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
AndriahBlashkovich

ORIGINAL: rustysiI'll try to find a link to the wire chart later if I have time, otherwise look for it under the search engine.

Ciao

Tried looking for it, but didn't yield much results, would be much obliged if you could give me some hints on what to look for exactly. [:D]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: AndriahBlashkovich

ORIGINAL: rustysiI'll try to find a link to the wire chart later if I have time, otherwise look for it under the search engine.

Ciao

Tried looking for it, but didn't yield much results, would be much obliged if you could give me some hints on what to look for exactly. [:D]

As said I'll do my best, as yet I'm catching up on the forum. Missed logging on for a bit. I have a hard copy of it, and I lost all my links when I had a system crash recently. Be patient, I'll get there...

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Let's see if this works.

tm.asp?m=2769286#

Edit:

Yup, its in there. Took me about ten minutes to find, maybe less. Search engine is a bit... well. I usually search everything with the All Topics selected and a Less Defined for the other selection. Its more an art than a science here. Hope it helps. If nothing else it should keep ya busy for a bit.[:D]

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

This also?
"Once More into the Breach " tm.asp?m=4354969&mpage=6&key=�
Attachments
30ddn4m.jpg
30ddn4m.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 124 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Factories

Attachments
29j6kh.jpg
29j6kh.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 130 times

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The 'wire chart' I'm referring to can be found in the link in my post above.

Edit:

Cursory check and yours looks pretty good as well.

Then again a bit incomplete it appears. I think the link above gives the whole story.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

The 'wire chart' I'm referring to can be found in the link in my post above.

Edit:

Cursory check and yours looks pretty good as well.

Then again a bit incomplete it appears. I think the link above gives the whole story.

Thought he may like a plethora of RD maps.

Ive got both the "wire" and the "list". There may be more.

AndriahBlashkovich

Wow, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me! These are all very helpful! ^_^
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: AndriahBlashkovich

Wow, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me! These are all very helpful! ^_^

Glad to have been of assistance.[:)]

scout1

Post by scout1 »

2. You can accelerate late models of some airframes very easily.
a. Research the A6M2-N Rufe at 5 factories of size 30.
b. Build the Ha-33 production so that you are building 150-200 extra each month by March 42. (get the pool to 500)
c. As each Rufe research factory gets fully built, switch it to A6M8. You must convert the factory one step at a
time: A6M2-N -> A6M5, A6M5 -> A6M5b, A6M5b -> A6M5c, A6M5c -> A6M8.
Remember that upgrading along the aircrafts upgrade path does not cause the factory to be damaged and it stays
FULLY REPAIRED.

Question on executing this sequence.
- Once EACH of the Rufe RD factories are at 30, immediately convert EACH to A6M5. As this does not cause damage to the factory,
Does this imply on the very next turn the factory which was just converted to A6M5 should be immediately converted to A6M5b ?

In essence each sequence change from one model to the next occurs on successive turns unit you reach the end item ?
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: scout1
Question on executing this sequence.
- Once EACH of the Rufe RD factories are at 30, immediately convert EACH to A6M5. As this does not cause damage to the factory,
Does this imply on the very next turn the factory which was just converted to A6M5 should be immediately converted to A6M5b ?

In essence each sequence change from one model to the next occurs on successive turns unit you reach the end item ?
You can do switch any time. Meaning movement through all the chain up to A6M8 can be done in one turn, as soon as Rufe factory fully repairs.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”