The Good Forum

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

The Good Forum

Post by Canoerebel »

Two days ago I was stuck at home due to a cold and snow. Fortunately, on the day the storm arrived, I had just received a package from a bookstore in Ohio containing a used copy of the C.M. Forrester Book The Good Shepherd. I had ordered the book two weeks before, following up on a recommendation crsutton had made in my AAR several months ago. Ross said that The Good Shepherd, about a captain of a USN destroyer on an Atlantic convoy early in the war, was one of his favorites. It was a good recommendation - during two days confined mostly to bed at home, I read the entire book.

Four or five years ago, JohnDillworth recommended With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. I bought a used copy and read it over the course of several days, including one memorable day, while seated on a mountainside boulder as I took a break during a hike.

These are just two instances of the numerous occasions where the good people of the forum have done something helpful. There have been times when Forumites have helped me do research for stories or proofread stories. And many times I read through your threads and posts and learn a great deal about things I have no knowledge about whatsoever (the current thread about the Argentine submarine being one of 10,000 examples).

Over the past 15 years, I've come to know many of you pretty well. I have a great deal of confidence in the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of the forum. It's a privilege to be a member of this community.

P.S. But I still don't get about half of what GeoffLambert writes in here!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
crsutton

RE: The Good Forum

Post by crsutton »

Now you got to find a copy of "Man Eaters of Kumoan." I was telling Dan that these were copies of books that were on my shelf as a kid and I have loved them over an over again. Probably read both of them half a dozen times. Others, "The Collected Short Stories of Rudyard Kipling." "Men at War"-a collection of short War stories gathered together and edited by Ernest Hemingway. This last one was the book that Eugene Sledge pulled out of the trash can in the mini-series War in the Pacific. So, what books have the rest of read over and over since childhood?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Over the past 15 years, I've come to know many of you pretty well. I have a great deal of confidence in the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of the forum. It's a privilege to be a member of this community.

+1

ORIGINAL: crsutton

So, what books have the rest of read over and over since childhood?

The Razor's Edge, by William Somerset Maugham.

This one again is about war, or more precisely the effect of war on a man who has seen too much of it. It's about his search for some understanding after WW1 in the cities and cafes of Europe. A great between the wars novel.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Two days ago I was stuck at home due to a cold and snow. Fortunately, on the day the storm arrived, I had just received a package from a bookstore in Ohio containing a used copy of the C.M. Forrester Book The Good Shepherd. I had ordered the book two weeks before, following up on a recommendation crsutton had made in my AAR several months ago. Ross said that The Good Shepherd, about a captain of a USN destroyer on an Atlantic convoy early in the war, was one of his favorites. It was a good recommendation - during two days confined mostly to bed at home, I read the entire book.

Four or five years ago, JohnDillworth recommended With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. I bought a used copy and read it over the course of several days, including one memorable day, while seated on a mountainside boulder as I took a break during a hike.

These are just two instances of the numerous occasions where the good people of the forum have done something helpful. There have been times when Forumites have helped me do research for stories or proofread stories. And many times I read through your threads and posts and learn a great deal about things I have no knowledge about whatsoever (the current thread about the Argentine submarine being one of 10,000 examples).

Who does know what Geoff's all about? I've been dealing with him in setting up a PBEM (which took 4 months to get together) and I'm still not sure what he's saying at least half the time! [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

My name has been invoked, therefor I am here. I've designed an avatar for someone, I know not who, but someone out there needs an avatar. Here she is:

Attachments
rockmonsteravatar.jpg
rockmonsteravatar.jpg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 348 times

JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Thanks for he shout out CR. With The Old Breed is required reading for life me thinks. It is one of the two best single person accounts of WWII I have read. The other being, Guy Sajer's chilling front line report of a German infantryman on the Eastern Front from just after Stalingrad all the way to the final surrender. Simple men in great times. Their stories are those of all those that did not go home. Just luck these 2 made it home at all.
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

And Steve, where's my flipping turn? I'm dying here.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

And Steve, where's my flipping turn? I'm dying here.
Have you looked in your box? I sent it in before I even looked at the forum. [:)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Oh, wasn't paying sufficient attention. Than you Steve, for the turn.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Thanks for he shout out CR. With The Old Breed is required reading for life me thinks. It is one of the two best single person accounts of WWII I have read. The other being, Guy Sajer's chilling front line report of a German infantryman on the Eastern Front from just after Stalingrad all the way to the final surrender. Simple men in great times. Their stories are those of all those that did not go home. Just luck these 2 made it home at all.
I read Sajer's book years back and it was always considered a bit of a made up story. Has it gained more credibility over the years?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So, what books have the rest of read over and over since childhood?
warspite1

I don't tend to read books 'over and over' because of the fact there are so many books and so little time. I have to fact the fact I have been on this planet for more years than I have left and so want to cram in as much as I can. There are plenty of books that I am desperate to read again though.

However, one history book I have read three times (and would love to read again) is The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers (Kennedy). The book starts at 1500 and charts the progress of countries as their fortunes waxed and waned over the centuries - and giving reasons for the changes in fortune. A thought provoking book, but not a difficult read by any means.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I love re-reading good books. Some I re-read every few years. I've probably read some of my favorites at least ten times over the course of my lifetime. Good writing and good storytelling is refreshing and inspiring and helps me re-charge my own batteries when it comes to creative work.

Probably my single favorite work of historical non-fiction is We Were Soldiers Once and Young by Lt. General Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. I've mentioned it in the forum many times before. I think Moore passed away earlier this year.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Now I know what to get myself for Christmas. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Others, "The Collected Short Stories of Rudyard Kipling
+1

The Light that Failed ... read too many times ... too poignant.
Pax
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

However, one history book I have read three times (and would love to read again) is The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers (Kennedy). The book starts at 1500 and charts the progress of countries as their fortunes waxed and waned over the centuries - and giving reasons for the changes in fortune. A thought provoking book, but not a difficult read by any means.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Kennedy's work is one of the best modern world histories. You will notice the emphasis that he places on debt in support of military expenses: something for the U.S. to consider in modern times. I recommend, as compliments to Kennedy, McNeil's Plagues and Peoples. McNeil was a military historian who was impressed by the effect of disease and infection on the course of war, so he wrote a history of disease. It won the Pulitzer Prize in the mid 70s: a first-rate world history. I also highly recommend Alfred Crosby's Ecological Imperialism, which was inspired by McNeil. It is a completely different and profound examination of the age of European Imperialism.

The work of history that I think is absolutely essential to understanding the modern world is Peter Gay's Three Volume History of the Enlightenment. Another comprehensive work on modern history that I enjoyed thoroughly is Jacques Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence. Gay and Barzun are, in my mind, two of the giants of history in the 20th century in the English-speaking world.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I read Sajer's book years back and it was always considered a bit of a made up story. Has it gained more credibility over the years?
Indeed it has :
"Lieutenant Hans Joachim Schafmeister-Berckholtz, who served in the Grossdeutschland during the same period as Sajer, confirmed in a letter that he had read the book and considered it an accurate overall account of the Division's battles in the East, while also noting that he remembered a Landser named Sajer in his Panzergrenadier company (5th co), the same company number Sajer mentions being assigned to"

"After reading Sajer's latest letter, one of his staunchest critics, Spaeter of the Grossdeutschland Veteran's Association, recanted his original suspicions of Sajer: "I was deeply impressed by his statements in his letter. ... I have underestimated Herr Sajer and my respect for him has greatly increased. I am myself more of a writer who deals with facts and specifics, much less like one who writes in a literary way. For this reason, I was very skeptical towards the content of his book. I now have greater regard for Herr Sajer and I will read his book once again."

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I've read this book about once every two to three years since I've gotten it. "The Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895 Perceptions, Power, and Primacy" by S.C.M. Paine has been a great primer for the conflict we are playing. Not know much about what had transpired to get to 1941, this book has greatly expanded my knowledge. However, I've failed to find anything to adequately fill in the next 40 years between this war and WW2.
[center]Image[/center]
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Sajer was a artist, therefore he painted his experience. Nomenclatures and complete military understanding were not the focus of him nor of his writing. Just his telling of standing guard on Christmas Eve reeks of having experienced it.

In College I worked in the biology labs and the library. In the library I worked in periodicals, and on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday I was in charge of the library. This is precursor to a story of one of Sledge's favorite books. It was a huge book of quotes given to him by his grandfather. It was in need of repair to it's spine and cover. One day, after telling him of how I was taking individual issues of a magazine and making it into a book he asked me to repair his book. Which I did, and very well I may add.

One time I had checked out a booked of photographs of America during the 20s and 30s and me and some fellow male students were looking at it before class one day. Prof Sledge walked in early, saw what we were doing and asked "Y'all looking at a nudie book?". When I told him what we were looking at, his interest peaked and he came over and looked also. He commented on many of the pics. One was of people riding, with their possessions, on horse drawn wagons. He said that was a very common sight. He said that for years he never saw money. Things and services were paid for with barter of other things and services.

Ive always been a bookworm. They all hold their individual special connection to me.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

That is a cool story.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I've read this book about once every two to three years since I've gotten it. "The Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895 Perceptions, Power, and Primacy" by S.C.M. Paine has been a great primer for the conflict we are playing. Not know much about what had transpired to get to 1941, this book has greatly expanded my knowledge. However, I've failed to find anything to adequately fill in the next 40 years between this war and WW2.

Try Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower and The Guns of August for that period in Europe to 1914.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”