Retreat after Naval Combat

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

spence

Retreat after Naval Combat

Post by spence »

It seems that the program causes Allied TFs to always retreat from the site of a naval combat in all cases.

(Oops guess I forgot how to post a copy of combat results: Control C to copy? Maybe having to close the WitP window means I lose whatever I copied if I used the right Control?)

So anyways

Here is a partial combat result (6/22/42) (Turned out sorta like the RL 13 Nov 42 fight)

Japanese bombardment TF vs Allied Surf TF (Allied TF surprises Japanese TF)

Yamato (3 shell hits - combat animation shows burning)
Ise (2 shell hits - combat animmation shows burning)
Atago (3 shell hits - " " " ")
Takao (14 shell hits, 2 torpedo hits and is sunk)
Kagero (4 shell hits, heavy fires)
3 other DDs with shell hits (combat animation shows burning)
2 other DDs no damage

CA Austalia (shell and torpedo hits and sunk
CL Achilles (shell and torpedo hit and sunk)
1 DD (shell hits and sunk)
3 DDs (shell hits - combat animation shows burning but minimum speed of any 19)
2 DDs (shell hits)
The remnants of the Allied TF retreat to an adjacent hex (incidentally towards another Allied base but also into the withdrawal path of the IJN bombarment TF

Following the battle against the surf TF the same Bombardment TF takes on some PTs sinking one.

Then they bombard the target doing some damage to base and aircraft.

Then they reengage the surf TF as they withdraw - after two surf combats and a bombardment it would seem they'd have no ammo left. I didn't really pay close attention to this fight so I can't say too much about it.

Then the IJN ships withdrew towards their base in the form of no less than 3 different TFs (assume different speeds due to damage).

IRL I can think of NO CASES where a bombardment TF of either side fought a surface combat against significant enemy forces which then continued on its bombardment mission subsequent to the surface gunfight. But in the game it seems that even a couple of IJN xAKs force an Allied PT TF to retreat even though one of them was hit by a PT torpedo suffering heavy damage (happened in an AI game IIRC).

The fight described above lasted through several rounds of combat - seemed like a lot of them - of surface combat.

Anybody know how this situation comes to be? I can sorta see it if the Bombardment TF quickly disposes of the defending force without significant loss but that situation doesn't apply in this case

btd64

RE: Retreat after Naval Combat

Post by btd64 »

IF you are playing the Japanese AI then it's because of the AI and it's endless supply of ammo. More or less. But if you watch the combat animation you may of noticed that the BIG Japanese guns may not of fired in the 2nd surface battle....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
spence

Post by spence »

PBEM game. The big ships definitely fired and fired again and again in the first naval combat as did the little ships. The IJN lost a CA sunk (which certainly be disconcerting to any TF commander: givrn the IJNs performance at Savo Island, Cape Esperance,Naval Battle of Guadalcanal and off Samar in 1944 this "stick-to-itness" of a bombardment TF that gets surprised seems very very peculiar) ,and most of the other ships hit yet they then fight some PT boats and after that bombard. I agree that the two BBs and surviving CA probably didn't use their big guns against the PTs before the bombardment but that fight was at night as well and the range got down to 2000 yds so they certainly fired their secondaries.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

If your base didn't take a big pounding, then maybe your TF was the reason. You used up some big gun rounds. I've noticed that a Bombardment TF does save a couple of large rounds for possible surface contacts. Ask your opponent if his BB's and CA still had any large rounds left. They may not of....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: spence

It seems that the program causes Allied TFs to always retreat from the site of a naval combat in all cases.
Simply not true.
Pax
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Your opponent probably has put a most aggressive Japanese admiral full of Yamato-damashii in charge of that TF.
spence

Post by spence »

My opp says that Yamato didn't shoot much.

As mentioned before however I challenge anybody to cite any instance where any bombardment force of any navy conducted its scheduled bombardment after fighting a surface action in which it had lost a significant warship (in this specific instance a 14000 ton heavy cruiser with roughly a 1000 crew) against a significant enemy force.

Meanwhile the ships would have had to swap out the high explosive shells for the scheduled bombardment for the AP shells for use against ships and then switch back again after the surface combat was over. (IIRC the first part of that operation is described in "Decision At Sea" by Hammel - moving 1400 lb shells was not an easy operation). That leaves aside the fact that roughly 1000 friendly sailors are swimming. Even aggressive commanders are responsible for their RL men.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: spence

My opp says that Yamato didn't shoot much.

As mentioned before however I challenge anybody to cite any instance where any bombardment force of any navy conducted its scheduled bombardment after fighting a surface action in which it had lost a significant warship (in this specific instance a 14000 ton heavy cruiser with roughly a 1000 crew) against a significant enemy force.

Meanwhile the ships would have had to swap out the high explosive shells for the scheduled bombardment for the AP shells for use against ships and then switch back again after the surface combat was over. (IIRC the first part of that operation is described in "Decision At Sea" by Hammel - moving 1400 lb shells was not an easy operation). That leaves aside the fact that roughly 1000 friendly sailors are swimming. Even aggressive commanders are responsible for their RL men.

In real life probably not. In game life, yes. So what is your point? I don't think anyone is going to make a change in a ten your old game engine at this time.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”