newbie corp hq

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

tonyscrase

newbie corp hq

Post by tonyscrase »

I think I am right in saying the further away a corp hq is from the unit the less chance you will get any benefit from it.

for leader combat benefits is the distance measured at the time of combat or is the distance measured at the beginning of the turn

THANK YOU
loki100

RE: newbie corp hq

Post by loki100 »

Theres a few rules that relate to this, basically:

a) must be within 5 hexes at the moment of combat to be allocated Support Units from the HQ (artillery etc);
b) Leader effectiveness starts to decline with range and HQ hierachy.

In this case a corps commander gives out their full leadership scores if within 5 hexes, army commanders work at 15 and so on. Morale ratings have no distance modifier (which is often one reason why putting high morale commanders into the most senior posts can be a good idea).

For leadership checks, basically the corps commander is tested. If they pass then the planned action (allocate SU, supply etc) happens, if they fail then the next up the chain is tested. Each step back from the front line, the actual leader ratings are reduced but if you have good commanders at each stage, you have a very high chance of passing the checks.

There was a rule in WiTW when it was first released that encouraged keeping Corps at 1 hex - *I think* this was removed some time ago.
tonyscrase

Post by tonyscrase »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I now understand
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Theres a few rules that relate to this, basically:

a) must be within 5 hexes at the moment of combat to be allocated Support Units from the HQ (artillery etc);
b) Leader effectiveness starts to decline with range and HQ hierachy.

In this case a corps commander gives out their full leadership scores if within 5 hexes, army commanders work at 15 and so on. Morale ratings have no distance modifier (which is often one reason why putting high morale commanders into the most senior posts can be a good idea).

For leadership checks, basically the corps commander is tested. If they pass then the planned action (allocate SU, supply etc) happens, if they fail then the next up the chain is tested. Each step back from the front line, the actual leader ratings are reduced but if you have good commanders at each stage, you have a very high chance of passing the checks.

There was a rule in WiTW when it was first released that encouraged keeping Corps at 1 hex - *I think* this was removed some time ago.
Sounds like the system in Steel Panthers WW2. Does every leader only get 1 failure per turn? Or can they keep doing checks to compensate for the failures of every subordinate? In SP, if the captain of a company fails in his attempt to provide Rally for an infantry squad, that's it, he can't try to help any more subordinate units that phase.

So if Eisenhower fails the roll to help one Corps, can he still try to help other Corps?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

They try to help everyone.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”