Basic question on paradrop

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

spinecruncher

Basic question on paradrop

Post by spinecruncher »

So, really basic question and not sure what I am a doing wrong. In air transport unit mode, June 6, i click on my unit 507th, I click drop and I get the message "not a valid airborne target hex," noting that the hex is 73-191, is actually not occupied by enemy in any case. Also the unit indicates 73,191-p50. I presume that means 50 prep. I want more prep right? But it is June 6 and the war is on they must jump?
spinecruncher

RE: Basic question on paradrop

Post by spinecruncher »

No one knows how paradrop works?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: ballyhoo

No one knows how paradrop works?

yes

but to answer your question would be far easier if you provided more data.

One guess is the airdrop is in connection with a naval invasion? That has special rules and won't happen till the logistics phase of your invasion?

Equally the bar on the counter should be showing 'drop' if it is ready to go (50 PP are enough but are you on an airfield?)
Chuske

Post by Chuske »

To paradrop you need to have the airbourne unit on a friendly airbase hex, to have enough available transport aircraft groups within range and with enough capacity and the groups must not be set to rest. Have you set all that up?

Also your target hex needs to be within so many hexes (8 I think) of a friendly unit or related to an amphibous invasion, for an amphib invasion you must order the amphib to invade first and they will sit off the beach ready to invade and in the same turn you can then drop the paras.

I think the latter is the most likely seen as it is D-Day. So order your amphib troops to invade then you can do the paradrop (they will be assigned to drop at the end of your turn as the invasion hits the beaches).

If you are still struggling maybe take a screen shot so we can see what is happening?
The user formerly known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”