How long until Restrictions come off?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zorch

RE: How long until Restrictions come off?

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Sometime between the 3rd and 4th drink.
Assuming it's the 3rd or later date. [:D]
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Naval HQs like this one provide naval support to the base they are on. Whether they provide any other sort of support, like speeding upgrades for instance, within their command radius is unknown to me. If they do not provide naval support to any base within their radius but rather only to the base they are on, I would think that their command radius be given as zero.

Read this thread:

tm.asp?m=4165357&mpage=1&key=naval&#4167202

Naval HQs per se do not provide any stevedoring or repair benefits. It is the naval support squads within them (if any) which do.

Alfred
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

By the way, if anyone thinks I should sack any of those commanders, say so and why.

If you are using the SE Area Fleet and 4th Fleet to try and provide a combat bonus to LCUs, then you will want higher Land skill I think...
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Thank you Alfred. Question, do you have a sister named Siri?

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Rogue187
I know the restrictions are to keep the allied player from instantly moving planes and troops into the Pacific, but how does it take for the limitations to expire?
I have been holding off on spending pp because i am concerned about mixing up HQs
Since you are talking about planes too it is worth noting that it is adviceable to think about HQs for planes a bit. Planes flying under same HQa and in range of that HQa get bonus to coordination. E.g. it is highly recommendable to put all your unrestricted 4E bombers under the same HQa for those fearsome mass raids that pound Japan into submission later
Rogue187

Post by Rogue187 »

I am bumping this tread. To answer an earlier reply, yes i am talking about restricted HQs. I have gone broke spending PPs trying to get American LCUs to a new HQ so i can move them, but I also need to deploy Auzzie LCU and Australia Command is also restricted. Is that just part of the game? Do i need to balance my PP "money" so i can "buy" units?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I am bumping this tread. To answer an earlier reply, yes i am talking about restricted HQs. I have gone broke spending PPs trying to get American LCUs to a new HQ so i can move them, but I also need to deploy Auzzie LCU and Australia Command is also restricted. Is that just part of the game? Do i need to balance my PP "money" so i can "buy" units?
I consider the PP regime a bit too restrictive given only 50 points per day, so I have no problem changing a half-dozen Aussie units to 1 Aus Corps HQ (at 25% PP cost) and then later changing the Corps HQ to SWPAC, meaning all the assigned units already belonging to 1 Aus Corps are now also unrestricted.
I would check with my opponent before doing this in a PBEM, and tacitly give him permission to do the same kind of thing. As long as both sides can do it, I figure it is just getting around one of the frustrations in the game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Rogue187

Post by Rogue187 »

Right now i am just playing the AI and trying to understand the game. But i tried to change a US Army division in San Francisco and it was over 500 PPs!
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Naval HQs like this one provide naval support to the base they are on. Whether they provide any other sort of support, like speeding upgrades for instance, within their command radius is unknown to me. If they do not provide naval support to any base within their radius but rather only to the base they are on, I would think that their command radius be given as zero.

VADM I Know You, Shigeyoshi must be well connected in high places. Unsackable.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Right now i am just playing the AI and trying to understand the game. But i tried to change a US Army division in San Francisco and it was over 500 PPs!

When they have their TOE upgrades and get to full strength you are looking at >2000pp per division. Some late war TOE ones hit 3K.

Best to get them early. And also, if you want to have something remotely resembling a properly structured ground OOB, better to work it out now, and assign them to their 'end war'* army/corps HQS even if those are not active yet. But don't worry too much about it, because it is only cosmetic - what will matter later is having a command HQ, a corps (or army) HQ and your assault units all prepped for the same target, which costs zero political points. [* Google the Operation Downfall order of battle if you want the historical version.]

In my mod (which I just finished testing) I upped the daily pp significantly so that you can actually develop a proper Area/army/corps/division/etc ground force structure, swap 4E groups around the bomber command HQs (and add dedicated fighter groups) and produce a proper command/group structure utilising size 9 airfields, etc etc etc.

Things which the allied player oughtn't to be able to move were made restricted static (including most of the Australian Army.)
"I am Alfred"
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Sometime between the 3rd and 4th drink.

[:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

By the way, if anyone thinks I should sack any of those commanders, say so and why.
Change out the leadership of the 4th Fleet HQ (post #12). I don't like his name.
Rogue187

Post by Rogue187 »

I'm sorry, but I still don't feel that my question has been answered clearly. Please bear with me as this is my first serious play through on the grand campaign so I don't know what to expect. Right now, I have no idea what infantry or armor units I will need in the late stages of the game and I am starting to get a lot of units just sitting around the US doing nothing.

Here is my question: Will the West Coast restricted units, the ones that say West Coast [R], will the [R] eventually go away so that I can move the unit without having to spend Political Points in order to move it do a different command? Yes or No?

Again, I'm sorry if I have missed something in the above explanation, but I think I am starting to feel a bit like Denzel Washington trying to get an answer in the movie Deja Vu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWnJhXtGhE
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Is time a factor?
HQ’s can be categorized as restricted, temporarily restricted, static restricted and unrestricted (i.e., normal). The effects of each category are as follows:

» Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless the HQ is changed. Even when HQ’s are changed subordinate units need to be individually acquired via PP’s.

» Temporarily Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless the HQ is changed. When the HQ’s are changed subordinate units change to the classification of the parent.

» Static Restricted - HQ’s (and on some occasions units) are restricted and may never have their HQ changed – they remain and always shall be permanently restricted.

» Unrestricted – None of the above restrictions apply.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I'm sorry, but I still don't feel that my question has been answered clearly. Please bear with me as this is my first serious play through on the grand campaign so I don't know what to expect. Right now, I have no idea what infantry or armor units I will need in the late stages of the game and I am starting to get a lot of units just sitting around the US doing nothing.

Here is my question: Will the West Coast restricted units, the ones that say West Coast [R], will the [R] eventually go away so that I can move the unit without having to spend Political Points in order to move it do a different command? Yes or No?

No.

You can pay the political points on SOME of them (the ones with the unit title in yellow) and change them to an unrestricted HQ (e.g., Southwest Pacific). Then you can move them wherever you want. Other units (the title in white) are permanently restricted. You can never move those and never pay PP to 'free them up'.

Identify which of these is which. Turn off replacements / reinforcements to the ones that are permanently restricted so as to not drain your new device pools.

All of this advice is for LCUs.

For air units, it's more complicated. These units can be used to train pilots en masse in CONUS. Get the pilots trained (e.g., get fighter pilots trained on A2A up to 70) and then dump the pilots into the general reserve. You can use the general reserve pilots anywhere on the map and can thus pull pilots into front-line outfits where replacements are badly needed.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

No.

Attachments
ChickensFree.jpg
ChickensFree.jpg (165.07 KiB) Viewed 103 times

Rogue187

Post by Rogue187 »

Awesome! Thank you Chickenboy! I was going through my LCUs and sending the ones in white to Boise and other cities in order to get them out of the way. I have been getting advice to keep training my air units until I have to withdraw them or disband them, but to send the pilots to the pool before you disband. When I have done that I have noticed there was a one day delay before the pilots would arrive, but I disbanded the unit anyway before the day was up. Do I still lose those pilots or do they still arrive in the pool since I sent them out prior to the disbanding?
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

They will arrive in the pool. The delay is the transit time.

When you pull a veteran into a squadron either from reserve or from another squadron, there is a 7 day transit time delay.

Good practice for when or if you start playing a human opponent is to use your permanent restricted LCUs to garrison your port bases against invasion.

Lowpe once mounted a very credible invasion of southern California and if Jockemiester hadn't had LA and San Diego each garrisoned with multiple divisions it could have been a disaster.

Even though I don't play PBEM, I try to develop habits of game play as though I am.
Hans

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

They will arrive in the pool. The delay is the transit time.

When you pull a veteran into a squadron either from reserve or from another squadron, there is a 7 day transit time delay.

Good practice for when or if you start playing a human opponent is to use your permanent restricted LCUs to garrison your port bases against invasion.

Lowpe once mounted a very credible invasion of southern California and if Jockemiester hadn't had LA and San Diego each garrisoned with multiple divisions it could have been a disaster.

Even though I don't play PBEM, I try to develop habits of game play as though I am.

Agree with HansBolter. Keep your permanently restricted units in play on the West Coast to 'pretend' there is a real-life concern about invasion. At least in the early months of the year, this was the case IRL.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

You may want to turn off upgrades for your restricted units, so that upgrades will be available to units in the field.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”