Adding Comms to a unit.

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kritter

Adding Comms to a unit.

Post by kritter »

Is there a simple way to add comms to a unit, like you add mounts, weapons, sensors? Those are easy to add but I have not seen a way to add comms.

Thanks
thewood1

RE: Adding Comms to a unit.

Post by thewood1 »

The only way I have done it like is shown on pages 88 and 89 in the manual...

"Add comm link: Missile datalink with database ID# 3 used as an example: <CommAdd_3 /><!--SA-10 Missile Datalink-->"

There was a post put out with Comm IDs. I will look to see if a copy of that is in the docs.

Also, I have never tried it, but can you add comms through the Sensor Add button in the editor?
kritter

Post by kritter »

I looked at the manual and I believe it is referring to an INI file. I was looking for a more simple way as I could not find any documentation on the syntax of the file. As to the sensor addition button, I could not find a way to add a comm with that. Could you explain it?

Thanks
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

"Also, I have never tried it, but can you add comms through the Sensor Add button in the editor?"

Note my comment above. I have never tried it. As I said, I have only ever done it through an ini file.
somi83

Post by somi83 »

Hi,

I have attached Component numbers. DB Version is 467.

Explanation how to add components to units with delta template.
Attachments
Componentsnumbers.zip
(501.97 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Hey thanks a huge amount for that. I was just about to start searching for it. I am going to PDF that and put it with the next round of game documentation I collected and published.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I had already started assembling this, but somi83 really pointed me to all the info I needed...
Attachments
AddingShi..figFile.zip
(650.94 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

thewood1,

I know that you have gathered a lot of useful information re scenario development, historical information and so forth. As you probably know over the last three years, I've been assembling similar information into an informal Dropbox library for the members of the CMANO community. If you have stuff that you would like to share let me know and I'll add it. We currently have 50 members and over 200 items. There is also another folder there that has some useful Lua code examples.

Also, if you would like access to the library please PM me with your email address and I'll put you on the access list.

Thanks,

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kritter

Post by kritter »

I have read this and here is what I am trying to do. I have a ship I want to add a comms to and have not found the way to do it like add a sensor or a mount. So I generated a template file and tried to apply SBR script to a new scenario and nothing happens. No ship shows up or anything. All I am trying to do is add a comm on a ship and bring it into a new scenario. I would have thought it could be done like adding a sensor or mount. Am I missing something?
kritter

Post by kritter »

Also how can I tell in the game the comm unit got added? I have figured out how to add things using the ini file
but I can't see where the comms show up.
somi83

Post by somi83 »

Hi,

Use lua script console with this code:

Code: Select all

unit = ScenEdit_GetUnit ({ 
 side = " " -- between the quotes type in the name of the side of the desired unit you want to check
 name = " " -- type the name of the unit you want to check
 })
 print (unit:filterOnComponent('Sensor'))

This code will print out all sensors of that unit. Comms-links are in this category, but you can't see comms-links, like for example if you add radar it will appear in the sensors window of that unit. Use this code after you apply sbr script. Sensor that you added should be at the end of the list.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I'm also looking at using SE_UpdateUnit() to allow you to add/remove communication devices like you can with sensor/weapon/mounts
Michael
kritter

Post by kritter »

Thanks I figured out a method. I export the unit I want then modify it using the normal game mechanisms,
add mount, add sensor etc. Then I do a delta template and edit the comms and apply the sbr script to it.
Very cumbersome but it works. It would be nice to add the comms just like a sensor.

Return to “Tech Support”